72 1200 sedan! Either way, Hello!

baggyspandex

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

aly62142u.jpg

I don't doubt those came off a 280ZX, just saying they aren't OEM 280ZX wheels.

These are the ones I was telling you that you'll want to make sure to have proper lug nuts for. I have no idea what you have on your 1200, but we have these 6-spokes on our 510 that I was mentioning today.
  • 3 weeks later...

I made some progress this week. I changed the oil, the oil filter and got her rolling for the first time since I've had the car. I've been reluctant to drive it because the brakes are so bad. My Dad had more confidence driving it than me, so he drove it down to his house so we could work on it a little over the holidays. My sister got me some new side mirrors from Moon Eyes that I installed (will post pics later).

Proof it lives:

image-1_zps09f6d714.jpeg

photo-1_zpsd7a2a04b.jpg

I am still on the hunt for a left side lower door hinge. All the ones that I have come across don't look anything like mine. Could it be that it is rusted beyond recognition? Even the passenger side hinge looks different. Does anyone know of other compatible options?

image-1_zps65e127fe.jpeg

photo-1_zpsb189bc8d.jpg

That makes sense. I was thrown off by the extra metal bit.

The hinge is broken, snapped in half.
th_image-1_zps65e127fe.jpeg
That is the standard 1200 hinge.

They should look like this (larger hinge is the lower one). The photo does not show the door holder-opener sheet metal extensions.
24317.jpg

Those wheels will most likely have a shank with washer type lug nut.....seems they were something that only the OEM lug nuts would fit, I could be wrong.  One of the A students will come along and confirm.....sorry I'm just one of the C students around these parts. :thumbup:

seems they were something that only the OEM lug nuts would fit, I could be wrong.  One of the A students will come along and confirm.....

To fit properly, they really do need the OEM shank lug nuts. Good news is you can get the lug nuts from almost any Nissan with factory aluminum wheels made between 1978 and 1990ish.  :thumbup:

Here is a good easy tire size comparator. Just plug in the stock size tire rim combo and start playing with available/affordable tire sizes until you get close. I am running 185/60/13 and I believe this is very close to the stock outer diameter which is the number you are trying to match. It is down at the bottom of the page.

Thanks for the coloring project, my kid/me will have some fun with it.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalcold.html

I had some time to work on the car this weekend, ended up discovering I have a lot more work to do.

I sized up the wheels and I definitely will need to pick up smaller tires.

photo-1_zpsead831ee.jpg

I have the cowls in place, but no screws :sleep: Also, note the Moon Eyes mirrors.

image-1_zps99dae6b9.jpeg

Found a bunch of rust underneath. :mellow:

image_2_zps7ba642ab.jpeg

and more... There also appears to be screws coming through

image_1_zpscf370873.jpeg

I used this Jasco spray on paint remover. It worked remarkably fast and I was able to strip both bumpers and half of the grill. It was difficult to control the over-spray, but after some practice I was able to get it to bend to my will.

image-1_zpse7546b12.jpeg

image_2_zps2480356d.jpeg

image_3_zps74a5e4b8.jpeg

image_1_zps6f3f10ac.jpeg

And lastly, I fixed the lower hinge on the drivers door. That had been bugging me since day one and I am really glad that was checked off the list.

hinge-photo_zpsdc06ca9c.jpg

Still need:

Screws for cowl grills (x12)

Lug nuts (x16)

Tires (185/60-14)