Extension Cord

Well had the day off and got the 710 insured and went to the scrappers to look around. My regular guy who I've known for ever is ... gone. He always was fair for price, in other words he knew me and charged only what I was willing to pay and at least make a few bucks rather than me saying WTF? and throwing back and him getting even less as uncleaned scrap. Now that's the way to do it. I usually went on Saturdays when his boss was home and made some killer deals. Anyway they were recently down sized... and now only open 3 days a week... had to let him go. :angry:

In his place is Tod who seems like a nice guy. We talked about the 710 for a while and on the way out saw some bundles of heavy cables. Just for the hell I went over and looked and they were super thick 3 wire cords. $25 so I took one. Fuck you won't get a 14 gauge 100' for that. Looks like 3 wire 12 gauge and even has ends on it. There are 16 loops for roughly 135 feet.

cable001Large.jpg

cable002Large.jpg

Anyone know what ROYAL 12/3 SO 90C P-122-66 MSHA means??????

I have power tools like an electric impact wrench and it's loosing some power going 100ft 14 gauge. Also this might make a good extension for my mig welder. Right now I have to plug it into the dried plug about 8 feet away on the deck. Sure would be nice to run it out in the yard.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quick search:

12/3 SO is a moderately heavy duty portable electrical cord. To parse the number: 12 ga, 3 conductor, type SO jacket. This cord would typically be rated for 20A. It contains the hot, neutral, and ground conductors, individually insulated, within a single common jacket. The type SO jacket is an oil resistant rubber or neoprene type material.

Worth a couple bucks :D

http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/detail.ex?sku=0700545&ucst=t

P-122-66 MSHA Looks like the code it's made to.

Nice score

SO is just type of insulation, you can google it for information.

I consider a 12 ga wire good for 20 amps. That is what 12 gauge wire in your house is fused (circuit breaker) for.

It would not surprise me if the copper in the cord is worth more than what you paid for the cord.

so is moderate temp cable, the mshhp is also a jacket designatinon , I use 12/3 (12 awg 3 conducter) every day for heavy mechinery power supply, 35 amp if used in an interior panel 30 amp if exposed, most modern store buy extension cords are 16 or 14 snd rated for 15 amps.

In the colemen cable book that goes for near 7$ a foot!!! Dealer price is 4.85$ a foot!!

just your plain ol 12-3 SO cord, its a decent extension cord. You oughtta see the 50ft SO cord I use for my miller 230v welder, its about 1" in diameter. Good shit and it was free!!! Was wiring a house someone had split into an apartment, they were running the stove, dryer, washer and fridge off this one cord, boss says "rip out anything that isnt safe" so about 100yds later it was out!!! I just used 50ft on my welder, the other 250ft or so I used to go from the temporary I had set to my panel box in my hosue before I had full power pulled so I could energize curcuits in the house instead of having to run an extension cord out to the temp.