Auxiliary fuse box

Stitebunny

I was wondering what some of you have done for a separate fuse box/power distribution box for extra circuits. Maybe for stereo, lights, electric fuel pump or anything else. I would like to find a good place inside the passenger compartment to set this up to have some options to run power wires without using the factory fuse box. Thanks for any ideas or pictures.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Bunny.

You can go to Autozone or O'Reilleys and buy auxiliary fuse panels. They are usually only 6 circuit, and they cost around $10 or so depending. They work great for running extra circuits.

Personally I'll be running a marine-type box because they come in a lot of different styles, some even have covers, and they have common grounds. Makes for a cleaner install, IMHO - there wouldn't be the need to run a bunch of grounds under the dash somewhere, you could simply run one right to the fuse box and it gives you a bunch of ground attachments. Great stuff.

The one I was looking at was $23 which was a 10-circuit box with common ground, for use with ATC blade fuses. I don't remember the whole amp rating, but I know it was good for 30A per circuit and had a decent +12V connection post for use with larger cables.

The reason it has a common ground, is because boats usually don't like you drilling holes and such in them to tap a ground ;) You might look into it. Go down to your local boat shop, or even Bass Pro Shop or Cabelas - depending on your location, they may have the same one or similar on the shelf as well.

If you're looking for something with Relays or flasher unit provisioning, you're looking at upwards of $200. Don't ask me why, I think it's silly but that's the ugly truth. Painless is not really that painless if you think about your pocketbook. And FWIW, if you take a painless generic fuse panel and compare it to say, the one from Autozone - you won't notice much of a difference except for fancy shmancy boots over the main terminal and it may indeed come with mounting hardware. Lol.

Thanks for the reply's. That gives me some good ideas on the route I want to take. I think I will probably run a large power wire from the battery or starter through the firewall to a new fuse block and use that as a power distribution point.

The use of a marine-type box is a good tip. Thanks.

Alternatively, if you want to use a circuit breaker (like for say, a fuel pump) you can buy ACT/ATO circuit breakers that fit in the regular blade fuse location, they are a little taller however.

They come in three flavors, auto reset, manual reset, and cyclic. I'd use the manual reset, personally. Nothing easier than going and hitting a button. If it breaks open, you have a short or overload condition. ;)

Not to say that a fuse doesn't do the job perfectly fine.