My 81 Datsun 720 and introduction.

KhausticMess

Hello I'm new been reading this forum a couple times a week since purchasing my 720 in December. Unfortunately I'm another newcomer with no knowledge to bring to the table but hopefully I can start learning and maybe be helpful sometime.

anyway here is some pics of my truck.

393614_2836640168862_1644974601_2554017_1633896934_n1.jpg

390772_2836632568672_1644974601_2554012_159037423_n1.jpg

381544_2836627768552_1644974601_2554007_829710678_n1.jpg

380495_2836625168487_1644974601_2554005_906909766_n1.jpg

I replaced the mirror and broken glass since taking these photos.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have some plans for it, but no extra income right now.

I dunno If I will lower it I initially bought it to have a decent gas mileage truck for work etc.

After a couple times driving it I realized I wanna do some stuff to it and I seriously missed owning a truck. My previous vehicle was a craptastic Ford Focus.

It already has gotten a push button start, and a new Weber carb since I purchased it.

I need to replace the crank case cover gasket, not sure if thats the actual part name or not my vehicle knowledge is rediculously shitty. A big reason why I purchased an older vehicle like this is so I can learn how to work on it.

My largest concern with it right now is that I found it's actually badly rusted under the passenger door, and I have been having a bad time finding junk yards etc that have trucks I can take parts from.

I have some plans for it, but no extra income right now.

I dunno If I will lower it I initially bought it to have a decent gas mileage truck for work etc.

After a couple times driving it I realized I wanna do some stuff to it and I seriously missed owning a truck. My previous vehicle was a craptastic Ford Focus.

It already has gotten a push button start, and a new Weber carb since I purchased it.

I need to replace the crank case cover gasket, not sure if thats the actual part name or not my vehicle knowledge is rediculously shitty. A big reason why I purchased an older vehicle like this is so I can learn how to work on it.

My largest concern with it right now is that I found it's actually badly rusted under the passenger door, and I have been having a bad time finding junk yards etc that have trucks I can take parts from.

Huzzah! that's why you're here wink.gif

I'm assuming you have a 2.2?

rockauto.com is where I get 90% of my datto parts.

Valve cover gasket

http://www.rockauto....,parttype,10710

Felpro is 5.50$

As for the cancer...............

Cut it out

Replace it when you can wink.gif

I already got the gasket I'm just being a lil lazy with getting to work on it, however that price is way better than what I got mine from Napa for.

I'm hoping a few of the Washington locals can let me know of a couple good yards to check out they all seem to have disappeared around here.

Yeah I'm pretty sure the engine is the 2.2, its labeled z22 on the side.

Anyone got a link for the wheels Siqx20 suggested, I'm definetly keeping an eye out for wheels I like the ST wheels from later versions of the truck. I also like the look of Titans. I'm totally open to suggestions and examples of what people like to do with these trucks. I have been rummaging through lots of older posts for ideas.

I thought there might be a few types of that wheel remember I'm a vehicle moron. I know Jack and shit about motor vehicles. I just never really got interested in learning technical or general knowledge of cars/trucks until the last couple of years, and this truck is my venture into learning such stuff.

BTW Jack left town.

All I really know is purchasing this truck has opened my eyes to the radness that is Datsun. I really love the look of pretty much everything I've discovered since starting to check out the brand. It makes me a sad panda that I didn't learn how cool they are until now.

I already know that once I have plenty of expendable income I want a 521 and a 620 also, probably a Goon too.

well ur in the right place. everyone starts somewhere. word of advice when being new to the scene. the search function is your best friend. it works best to go to google.com search with key words "ratsun.net" and the things ur looking to find. we have a search function directly here on the site but the google trick tends to work better. good luck ;) holler if u need anything

All I really know is purchasing this truck has opened my eyes to the radness that is Datsun. I really love the look of pretty much everything I've discovered since starting to check out the brand. It makes me a sad panda that I didn't learn how cool they are until now.

I already know that once I have plenty of expendable income I want a 521 and a 620 also, probably a Goon too.

And that's how it starts.

Next you know you'll be giving handjobs for 610s

Welcome to Ratsun, I got an 81 720 myself, I am in Tacoma by the mall. There are 3 yards around here only 2 have anythin but that changes, what you be looking for? my phone number is in the comment section of my profile, hit me up, later!

The first thing I wanna replace is the rear hinge on the moon roof its cracked in 2 and been repaired with some sort of resin and it looks like someone gobbed a bunch of earwax together and used it to repair it.

There is tons of stuff I wanna replace if I can find the parts used, I spent a few hours a while ago looking up yards and calling and nobody seemed to have 720's.

I'm a little concerned after taking the after photo I noticed that the new gasket seemed to push out from the gap a lot more than I expected it too. I think I used way too much sealant.

A good bit is too much. Just spread a thin layer on the cover to stick the gasket on and you're good to go.