L16,18,20B Fuel Injection Information Collaboration

KC Phirus

So I like simplicity. I like simple mechanical carburetors. I don't like working on carburetors. I don't like starting my truck with it's 22f outside.

I've decided on Fuel Injection. I've gone through several thread of efi setups. I know there were JDM injected L20Bs.

But, I don't like electronics on my engines. At least when it comes to "computers". Mechanical would be awesome, but I don't see that happening without a ton of fab.

So a few questions.

Lets say I'm going to do a simple multi port efi system.

Based on fuel requirements of an L20B.

What car should I pull injectors from?

Is there a car that has all of the necessary components to build an injected L20B? I think I saw something about some 720's with injected L20Bs?

If I was to use some cheapo GM injectors etc. How would I go about controlling the injectors?

How is the output of throttle body injection controlled? Has anyone considered this as an option?

Was thinking maybe we could just dump L series injection information here as a resource.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My plan was to run a 280zx turbo dizzy drive shaft, then run a spacer to allow the KAe Dizzy.

Manifold seems like the hardest part, but make that and you are golden.

Get the electric fuel pump you need, and proper baffles.

Run the KA ECU to run the injectors, and whatever it needs off of the Dizzy.

Need things like the Throttle body, and AFM...

Oh, and you would probably need an o2 sensor welded on.

The KA ecu is single fire, and reads how much air is coming, temp... should be able to adjust the fuel amount that a L20b would take.

My plan was to run a 280zx turbo dizzy drive shaft, then run a spacer to allow the KAe Dizzy.

Manifold seems like the hardest part, but make that and you are golden.

Get the electric fuel pump you need, and proper baffles.

Run the KA ECU to run the injectors, and whatever it needs off of the Dizzy.

Need things like the Throttle body, and AFM...

Oh, and you would probably need an o2 sensor welded on.

The KA ecu is single fire, and reads how much air is coming, temp... should be able to adjust the fuel amount that a L20b would take.

That's kind what I was thinking, I think tongue.gif

I've never worked with fuel injection.

What I was think about............... Is points between the points in the distributor cap. These points would be connected to relays for the individual injectors. As the dizzy spins it activates the relays, which fire the injectors. the points are placed based on which piston is on it's intake stroke at the "point". I'm probably trying to design something that already exist, but I do it all the time biggrin.gif

I'll draw it up.

I dont know about "ghetto", but whats wrong with throttle body injection? Yes it isn't as elegant as multi port, but you get smart air fuel mix, no choke to worry about, so cold start is a no problem situation, and they are low pressure feed systems, wich still use hose clamps on the fuel lines. I Chose 2.2/2.5 chryser throttle body to use because 1, so easy to find and I am a dodge guy anyways, 2, they use a hall effect switch, wich basically is a condensed version of a cam/crank trigger housed in the dizzy, that is why I adapted the chrysler distributor to the datsun pedastel. Hooked up the wiring to the throttle body, hall effect switch and MAP sensor. Used the chrysler coil and piggybacked the necessary wiring into the stock datsun stuff. The dodge ecm requires air to flow through it, to cool it and also to use it as an air intake temp sensor. I used a 12 v electric fan for a computer for air flow, like I have done on many dodge shadows that i did a non stock intake on.

Plus you can use your stock intake..........a carburetor mixes air and fuel and delivers it through the manifold, so now you have an electronically controlled fuel injector doing the same thing, and a bit of port work will make a difference just like using a carb.........

I think it is simple, elegant and if you remember there were MANY MANY turbocharged 2.2 2.5 chrysler rigs on the road, and they were setup like an L series with intake and exhaust on the same side, would be REALLY easy to turbo an L series engine with EFI this way, using tried and true readily available technology.........In fact thats our next project for up here in the northwoods.

Good luck with all your ideas!

Bill

What car should I pull injectors from?

Is there a car that has all of the necessary components to build an injected L20B? I think I saw something about some 720's with injected L20Bs?

Was thinking maybe we could just dump L series injection information here as a resource.

Injectors would be from a Z22E or Z20E...and possibly 280ZX...etc

82 200sx ECM(U), harness and throttle body...fab up your own IM/plenum

I have the 200sx EFI/VG30E TB in a 720...but it's on a early Z24 engine...not the L...

counter productive.

Same bottom end reliability as the L series?

More importantly, If I was to do a z swap, can I reuse my engine mounts and transmission.

I'd consider this. I want to rebuild the L. It's a good running motor but has plenty of leaks and by the time I do chain, valve seals, etc, I might as well rebuild it.

But this thread is for efi info collaboration biggrin.gif

So I could use the injection system from the z** motors right?

The answer is so simple it's scary~ adopt a 2.4L TBI from a Cavalier! It'll work on an L20, and might need recalibration on lesser size motors~ but parts'll be available til the end of time.... Working on this as we speak~

Peace~

Scott

More importantly, If I was to do a z swap, can I reuse my engine mounts and transmission.

Not a good idea to do that. But the mounts can usually be swapped side-to-side. L leans a little to the left (as you're viewing it from the front), Z leans a bit to the right. So if you re-use your mounts, it will lean the wrong way.

Trans is also clocked differently because of that. Better to use the Z20E trans. If you can find a cheap running '80-83 200SX it gives you everything you'd need.

To your original point, I'd pilfer the EFI bits from an '80 200SX to run an EFI L20b. It's basically the same stuff they used in Japan on the EFI L18 and easy to find replacement parts for. You can either source a JDM intake, cut down a 280Z intake, or make your own.

The Z20E EFI only requires 7 wires to hook up, doesn't need an O2 sensor, and is dead nuts simple.

Some info here: http://datsun1200.com/modules/mediawiki/index.php?title=200SX_EFI