School me on diesel sd22

Im gonna do a swap into my suzuki samurai, and im sorta tossing the idea of maybe using a diesel nissan engine. I initially was just going to swap in a 12v ka like I have in my wagon. I have a 4x4 720 trans I assume the diesel will bolt up? School me please and if anyone has one for sale I may be interested soon.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

wika wika

The SD22 is a normally aspirated 2.2 L (2,164 cc) inline-four diesel engine. It is a stroked version of the smaller SD20 (83.0 x 100.0 mm bore and stroke). It produces 65 PS (48 kW) at 4,000 rpm as fitted to the 1983 430-series Nissan Cedric.[1] It was first used in the 330-series Nissan Cedric from June 1977. It was also produced in a marine version MN 22 by Chrysler Marine under license during the 1980s.

The SD22 was used in the Datsun 720 pickup trucks from 1980 through 1983, where it produced 61 hp (45 kW) (SAE) at 4,000 rpm. Like its lesser SD20 sister (but unlike its SD33 six-cylinder derivative) it has three main bearings and was never available with turbocharging. In 1981, pistons were upgraded to a three ring piston with a steel compression ring carrier cast as part of the piston for improved durability.

Rockauto.com has parts

partsyo

These people have somethings cheaper

cheaperpartsyo

Nissan%20SD22%20engine%20internals.jpg

Heres a forum with a focus on nissan diesels. Figure you can find some info here

My link

I found the complete service manual. Have downloaded and scanned it fo internet transmitted diseases. It's all good.

http://www.mediafire.com/?j5bnam4ncg6uwc4

Like a lot of Nissan engineering. It's a Mercedes ripoff. that's a good thing biggrin.gif

The mechanical injection is very similar.

Reliability I'd say is almost as good as an L series. As with any diesel, good maintenance means millions of miles.

Oh, and most people are getting 30mpg + in the 720s. And they don't need much to run waste organic oil s

Im gonna do a swap into my suzuki samurai, and im sorta tossing the idea of maybe using a diesel nissan engine. I initially was just going to swap in a 12v ka like I have in my wagon. I have a 4x4 720 trans I assume the diesel will bolt up? School me please and if anyone has one for sale I may be interested soon.

You need a diesel front case to use the 4X4 transmission, or just get a diesel tranny with your diesel engine, there are a lot of components you need to set your diesel up properly, otherwise your going to have to juryrigg it together, stuff like a choke cable to shut the engine off, and holding a button on for undetermined amounts of time to warm the glow plugs.

If I were you, I would find a whole 81-83 datsun 720 diesel truck that is running, but rusting away, and transfer everything including the wiring harness.

If you need to run the shorter transmission, the diesel front case will bolt to the shortshaft transmission, but bearings will have to be substituted, or the case modified to accept the bigger cluster gear bearing.

These diesel engines don't have a lot of HP, and they have about the same amount of torque as an L20b, but they do way better on mileage, and they run forever as long as you keep oil and antifreeze in them, over 300,000 is not uncommon.

As mentioned in another post, these engines did not come with a turbocharger in this country, fact is I have never seen a photo of one with a factory turbo, but people have tried, but you hardly ever hear from them again, other than issues they are having.

The injection pump is the biggest issue/problem with turbocharging this engine, as the injection pump is controlled by a vacuum throddle, and turbos screw up the vacuum.

If I were you, I would find a whole 81-83 datsun 720 diesel truck that is running, but rusting away, and transfer everything including the wiring harness.

These diesel engines don't have a lot of HP, and they have about the same amount of torque as an L20b, but they do way better on mileage, and they run forever as long as you keep oil and antifreeze in them, over 300,000 is not uncommon.

Second that.

So it has less power than an L20B, it last as long, and from what I've seen it rarely gets better gas mileage. Oh, and it's less reliable with more expensive parts.

Not to mention the price of diesel....

I'd say NAY on the sd22

Second that.

So it has less power than an L20B, it last as long, and from what I've seen it rarely gets better gas mileage. Oh, and it's less reliable with more expensive parts.

Not to mention the price of diesel....

I'd say NAY on the sd22

The SD22 has less power than an L20b, it has about the same torque as an L20b, it kicks the L20bs ass on mileage, I got 25mpg in the city no matter what with my SD22, and the best I got was 36mpg on the hiway, but I can't drive 55, I have had freinds saying they got 40mpg.

The best I have been able to get with an L20b is 23 on the hiway, but that is the way I drive, and the fact is, I drive the way I do and the diesel still kicks the L20bs gas mileage wise even when I got the diesel floored, the worst mileage I ever got on the hiway with the SD22 diesel truck was 27-28mpg.

I now have the SD25 diesel, and that will go 80 all day long(except on big hills) getting about 28mpg, and it has 5 main bearings, I suspect it will do at least 33mpg on the hiway if I could keep it at 60 to 65mph.

As for how long each of these engines will last, if oil and antifreeze are kept in them, and neither are overheated, my money is on the diesel, it's not powerfull enough to tear itself apart.

The SD22 has less power than an L20b, it has about the same torque as an L20b, it kicks the L20bs ass on mileage, I got 25mpg in the city no matter what with my SD22, and the best I got was 36mpg on the hiway, but I can't drive 55, I have had freinds saying they got 40mpg.

The best I have been able to get with an L20b is 23 on the hiway, but that is the way I drive, and the fact is, I drive the way I do and the diesel still kicks the L20bs ass mileage wise even when I got the diesel floored, the worst mileage I ever got on the hiway with the SD22 diesel truck was 27-28mpg.

I now have the SD25 diesel, and that will go 80 all day long(except on big hills) getting about 28mpg, and it has 5 main bearings, I suspect it will do at least 33mpg on the hiway if I could keep it at 60 to 65mph.

As for how long each of these engines will last, if oil and antifreeze are kept in them, and neither are overheated, my money is on the diesel, it's not powerfull enough to tear itself apart.

Well the diesel sounds like a buncha trouble I may not wanna get into then. Might just stick with plan A and use the 12 v ka.

It all depends on what you are looking for, if your looking for a rock crawler, I think it would be a good choice, the tank of fuel will last all day, as the rpms aren't going to be high most the time, and you have good torque.

If your looking for long distance driving, there just isn't enough power, it would drive me nuts, as I would be floored all the time.

If you drive 60 all the time on the hiway, you will be hard pressed to beat the diesels economy, but in my opinion, if you are in a hurry, this is not the engine for you.

Another thing to keep in mind, the SD22 engine is heavy.

I would use a VW diesel.

Heard of ACME Adapters? Pretty cool stuff.

I agree. The VW has much more support, makes plenty of power, is just as durable, and gets better MPG. If you were talking about a Datsun project I might lean toward an SD to keep it in the family. I don't think it's a bad engine - I just think the VW is better and it'd be great in a Samurai. This guy may have all the info you need:

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/37294-did-the-unmentionable-traded-the-z-for-a-61willys-jeep/

Pull a mercedes turbo 5 cylinder.

130hp and 200 flt lbs of torque

Cheap parts, simple, and they don't start to lose power till after 800k miles

Find them in the 80-85 300d and 300td wagon.

They need nothing to run on bio oils. You can stick the fuel hose in a gallon of canola and drive around.

Ya ever driven a vw diesel or had to by parts? better get a second mortgage. I was hoping the nissan made more power. They both sound way to gutless for what I want. Getting to 60mph in under 20 seconds lol would be nice.

Ever really had to replace parts in a VW diesel? My friend is a mechanic, and he owns 7 diesel rabbits. These cars all get great mileage. A VW diesel in a Samurai allows it to idle over rocks and logs it has enough torque ( I have seen these things first hand).

And my mechanic friend gets me all sorts of parts at his price, makes things nice.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a friend in AK who had the small (1.6?) VW turbo diesel in a Samurai, he had bigger injectors a modded pump and a slightly bigger turbo andan intercooler. It would go faster than you really want to go in a Sammi and it was relatively quick too. He had stock axles with drop in lockers, a 6:1 (?) t case, jeep leaves and a springover on 35x14.50s. It was dead simple and light enough to "float" across most of the nasty tundra shit and mud that swallows full size rigs and he would knock down 30+mpg... I had as much money in my axles/steering as he had in his whole rig. In the tight stuff he could drive circles around me in my 1 ton GMC and make it farther on 8 gallons than I could on 30. On trail runs he would drive ahead of us and come back and tell the bigger guys where we were going to have trouble... fucker :lol:

He got the bug for more power and dropped a bunch of money on a heavily modified 1.9TDI from Germany, when he got it done he said that he was sorry he ever took the old one out because he never broke anything and never had any problems with it.

*my opinion* in the long run the VW tdi is the best bang for the buck in a samurai, but if you want to swap a nissan engine in it, skip the SD22 and go for an A15... its still gas but it beats the hell out of the stock suzuki engine coming and going... and youll never have to look far for parts :cool: