Want to do a Carbed KA24DE

Im not sure if I posted this in the right section. The l20b in my 4 door daily driver is starting to smoke a little. I have been looking into doing a KA24DE with twin side drafts. Trust me when I say I have searched and searched but I have few questions for people that have done a twin sidedraft Ka24DE setup in their 510s.

What is used for a distributor? I think I read somewhere about using a modified L series unit?

What are you running for a fuel system? I know that obviously if you have a ka in a 510, you have to use an electric pump, but what kind?

Most important question, where did you get the intake manifold to run your carburetors, and what kind of carbs are you running? But, I really need to know who sells carb intake manifolds for a KA24DE? If they even exist.

What did you do for your altenator wiring?

how did you wire up the trans for your speedo and reverse lights?

Are you happy with the power and powerband?

Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated(I would love it if there was no bashing)

Thanks

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

YouTube ka24de itb's

I think the runners on the stock intake can be cut down and will line up with r1 carbs. Then you can use rubber couplers to attach. A ka24e takes a l motor dizzy with a simple bracket. Prob the same with the dohc. But you need the oil pump shaft from the l motor to reach. Alternator wiring, just do a simple alt swap to a KA alt. eliminates the external regulator. I did a how to on it search my threads. I also have a couple threads on carbing a KA info cause I'm in the process of doing my own. Have fun and I think it's a great idea.

Hope I still feel that way when mine is done. ;)

Technically, as long as you pick your carb combination carefully, and have a manifold designed for it (wet manifold) there's nothing wrong with carbs. You'll have to spend ten times longer dialing it in just right, and the end result will probably still be slightly less fuel efficient, but you can still make big power with carbs. And they're simpler, being totally mechanical.

The downsides are not being as happy with extreme cold, extreme hot, and extremes of altitude. But if you don't mind those issues, I say go for it.

Technically, as long as you pick your carb combination carefully, and have a manifold designed for it (wet manifold) there's nothing wrong with carbs. You'll have to spend ten times longer dialing it in just right, and the end result will probably still be slightly less fuel efficient, but you can still make big power with carbs. And they're simpler, being totally mechanical.

The downsides are not being as happy with extreme cold, extreme hot, and extremes of altitude. But if you don't mind those issues, I say go for it.

In addition to poorer idling,starting & transition.For a toy?O.K.But for a DD?Not a good idea.

Actually, aside from colder weather and extreme heat, I never had any problems with my carbureted rigs. It takes a lot of dicking around getting them jetted just right for the motor you have. (Something most people don't do.)

Technically, if you work over your carburetor enough, and know enough about the flow requirements, you can get carb function that is damn close to fuel injection performance. EXCEPT in extreme hot/extreme cold/extreme altitude.

• Like 1

Somebody recently had a custom made KA24DE dual sidedraft manifold for sale, either here, or on the510realm. Bottom line, you can buy the sidedraft carb mounting flanges from a Weber distributor, cut the stock KA24DE manifold approx down the middle (at the "peak" of the intake runners), and fab up a decent manifold. I think the 2nd pic posted by ggzilla is it, as I can see some rough welding just behind the carb mounting flanges. I've heard rumors about a "production" manifold, but very rare.

Man, there ain't nuthin' like the sound of some wide open throttle sidedraft Weber's or Mikuni's!! Almost as good as............ahhh, well, never mind!!:hyper:

the single cam doesnt have a CAS its run off the oil pump/dizzy shaft like an L series.

Yes but still a CAS, there are no points or EI modules. Instead there is a plastic disc with 360 slits on the outside edge and 4 every 90 degrees for the 4 cylinder. A light shines through to a photo cell beneath. The ECU knows within a degree where the crank is.

That is the benefit. It's cool. It won't be as reliable, as fuel efficient or as smooth ... But could be close.

And for a guy who's never learned about EFI, it will be more comforting.

For a toy?O.K.

For a DD?BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

There are many Daily Driver Datsuns with carbs.

What's that, I couldn't understand what you were trying to say.

word.

nothing wrong with carbs.

4 out of 5 of my last dailys where carbed.

if you cant daily a carb..... learn to tune it properly? :huh:

• Like 2

There are many Daily Driver Datsuns with carbs.

What's that, I couldn't understand what you were trying to say.

Really?With side draft "non SU's"?THe point of a daily driver is to get in it,turn the key & go.Retro-fitting non SU side drafts to a KA is diametrically opposed to this theory.

And "BZZZZZZZZZZZ"is the sound a buzzer makes.As in"WRONG".

Really?With side draft "non SU's"?THe point of a daily driver is to get in it,turn the key & go.Retro-fitting non SU side drafts to a KA is diametrically opposed to this theory.

"theory" is right....

thats how all my carbies work, shit I didnt even hook up a choke half the time.

yes, EFI has its advantages...... but that doesnt make carbs shithouse for anything but a weekend toy.

it also just come down to preference, some people dont want to run EFI for plenty of different reasons.

Yes, my twin Mikuni sidedrafts are "just get in and go". Just like SUs they need synchronizing but not very often.

EFI is better in every way, but carbs are OK. I think they look way cooler than a stock KA intake system.

Heck yes they do! And flow more air, and sound better, and.............wait, what's the problem again ?? :P