New here and need a little help

70_521goon

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You can try removing the cable from the liner and lubing it up, but it will be a pita to put back together, or you can just replace the whole setup. If you just "bypass" it you truck will be very difficult to cold start. Another option is to switch to a weber carburetor with an electric choke.

So i picked up a 1970 521, the choke is stiff to pull out or push and wondering if theres any easy way to make it easier to move in and out.

or is it suppose to be stiff? and can i bypass it?

You can remove it and spray somekind of lubricant in the line, then cycle it a while till it loosens up.

You can also buy another one from one of the many auto parts outlets around, it won't be a stock one though.

Your other option is to buy a carb with an automatic choke.

I guess I am kinda slow, good advise Ken_B. :)

Thanks Wayno. I went through the same problem with the cable on my 521. Tip for manual choke guys, make sure you engine is grounded well to the chassis and the body is grounded well too if you intend to use a cable with a metal liner. If you dont have good grounds the cable kind of works as one and the cable will eventually get very stiff from all the little arcs between it and the liner creating burs and such. I prefer to use cables with a plasic liner so i dont have to worry about this being a problem.

• Like 1

Thanks Wayno. I went through the same problem with the cable on my 521. Tip for manual choke guys, make sure you engine is grounded well to the chassis and the body is grounded well too if you intend to use a cable with a metal liner. If you dont have good grounds the cable kind of works as one and the cable will eventually get very stiff from all the little arcs between it and the liner creating burs and such. I prefer to use cables with a plasic liner so i dont have to worry about this being a problem.

I messed up one time, and forgot to put the ground strap back onto the engine from the frame, one time when I hit the starter in the drive thru at wendys, the throddle cable became the ground, it was a plastic lined cable, and it melted together at half throddle, I had to disconnet it and idle home(5 blocks), so absolutely make sure your engine is grounded properly.

• Like 1
  • 8 months later...

anyone know of a good place to get there hands on a choke? my 72 521 has a aftermarket piece that is non functional at this point. I have been trying to find out if there was a electric and manual option for the 72, but I would rather go with the manual. Let me know if anyone has a lead.