Autocross/Street Handling '72 510 Wagon

Got my new wheels, they are Rota RBs 15x7 +25mm offset

Earlier in this post I mentioned that the panasports were +12 mm offset... but after double checking that measurement while looking at possible wheels I discovered they were actually +22mm offset, good thing I caught that.

photo-1.jpg

photo.jpg

photo-4.jpg

Going to have to get a really small spacer just to get it off the strut, like 1/8 inch or something. My tires just came into Z Car Garage, they are yokohama S drives, 205/50/15 should get them mounted by wednesday, so I'll really just be waiting on the spacer depending on how long it takes to get here, then I'll be back on the road. Just in time for spring break... when I'll probably tear it apart all over

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally got the new wheels on, ended up having to put new studs on the front to compensate for needing 1/4 inch spacers. But they look good, and surprisingly, despite the overall diameter of the wheel/tire combo being a little bit bigger than the panasports, there isn't any significant rubbing. Yay!

IMG_1698.jpg

IMG_1700.jpg

IMG_1705.jpg

I have the center caps, I just don't like the way they look... they stick up too far and are slightly different color than the powder coat. I'm going to try to get my hands on some cad plated dust caps and leave them bare... besides, I always just take the center caps off for autocross and fun stuff.

Got to go down to another autocross in Marina today, there were seven 510s there :o Which is unusual. Typically can't find that many running at one time....

IMG_1721.jpg

IMG_1748.jpg

The wagon really needs a rear sway bar, it just pushes into every corner wrong because of understeer.

For some reason I was in the same class as the top runner of the day (I think... last I checked he was) in his Porsche from hell.

IMG_1788.jpg

He had to redo that run because he caught up to me and they made him stop when I ploughed into a cone.... He was 15 seconds faster than me :confused:

IMG_1812.jpg

Nice job at the Marina auto-x. The Datsun vs Porch rivalry is a good one, you'll get him next time ;-) Were there any BRE replica 510s out there this wknd?

What size front swaybar are you running? A rear swaybar is but one way to help with the push. Some say that at the lower speeds of an auto-x, a rear sway hinders the quick rotation needed, so be sure to ask the fast Datsun guys how they've worked for them. I added one on my race wagon, but the difference seems greatest on high-speed corners.

I've been meaning to get my wagon down to Marina for a few runs, hope to see you down there some time.

None of the BRE replicas this time, but the Deanza guys were there and will be there a few times (they have a maroon/red box flared 510).

I'm running a 7/8 bar up front, the wagon also needs to be seated in the back a little better, probably coming down about half an inch and we need some adjustable shocks back there since it's been lowered.

Dat510: I've been reading your thread on your two door and the truck for a while, really cool stuff. Wish I had time for multiple cars!

None of the BRE replicas this time, but the Deanza guys were there and will be there a few times (they have a maroon/red box flared 510).

I'm running a 7/8 bar up front, the wagon also needs to be seated in the back a little better, probably coming down about half an inch and we need some adjustable shocks back there since it's been lowered.

Dat510: I've been reading your thread on your two door and the truck for a while, really cool stuff. Wish I had time for multiple cars!

Time I rarely have, nor the supplies or tools necessary, which is why my build is not moving at all, oh and im lazy lol..

But drive my 510 I will (Yoda)

Of course when I don't show up there's a bunch of 510s........ GRRRRRRRR. I'm taking a break from AutoX until I get some RE-11s or Star Specs.... maybe next month.

Wagon looks good!! As for the rear swaybar... I've noticed a huge difference with stiffer/softer sway bars on my dad's car out at AutoX but it's FWD... could be different for a RWD car. Either way, couldn't hurt to try. Where can you get a rear bar for a wagon?

Oh you were at the UFO event... SFR was out in Oakland so I got confused lol. That explains all the 510s!

Okay so I'm going to refresh the plan for the next couple months of work on the wagon:

By May 6 (UFO Autocross):

-rear sway bar

-traction bars mounted

-rear shocks

-rear lowered 1/2 in. (possibly short blocks)

-heater core fixed

-tachometer in

-reassemble dash

-fix the stupid spook

By Canby:

-repaint quarter panel

-hatch seal

-SUs on car

-open exhaust .25 inches, new muffler, get rid of the pre silencer (make it louder :devil: )

-black out window pillars

-5 speed (now debating getting one out of a truck because it has a better 1st gear for the wagon)

The wagon's been at Luke's shop for a couple days and I just got it back, only have a pic Luke sent me of Kelvin's traction bars on the goon since I've spent all my time since then driving it :rofl: Kelvin's bars are amazing (thank you Kelvin and thank you Luke for putting them on). Luke also made a couple of half inch blocks for the back to bring it down just a bit.

Tomorrow will have more pics

Fremont-20120427-00123.jpg

• Like 1

nice wagon......been lurking your thread for a bit... like those traction bars ....over the weekend i watched several videos of troys race wagon and u guys got me thinking i need a spare wagon.......to race

ps was thinking dog leg for my goon but also decided to use a truck tranny first...had a couple laying around....the blue sedan has a dogleg and is running full ermish stuff, not sure i wanna push it in the goon though....so i will start with a truck model...,i am running a combo of ermish and t3 on the goon but will be linked in the rear...

JRock: I'm also not convinced that I really want to run a dogleg either, and I'm still iffy on whether or not I want a ZX 5 speed or one out of a truck because of the gear ratios. I'm not running anything special on the steering, it's stock, but I do want to put a steering box brace on it at some point. My car isn't nearly as all out ballsy as Troy T's car, but I am trying to push it to the limits of what it can do as a street car. I have DP camber plates up front, I got them through Troy Ermish along with the Koni inserts... but he struts and coilover sleeve is a craigslist special, it's actually got a perch welded on top and bottom of the sleeve so you can't take it off. Luckily it's just tall enough to work.

Uber: I've thought about going lower, but the 205s rub, and I like the steamroller look better than slammed at the moment, but someday I'll lower it more :devil: make it really crazy just for the hell of it.

• 2 weeks later...

My dad and I spent about three hours at the junkyard getting a 5 speed... first one we found we couldn't get the drive shaft off of then the second one was easier to get out

photo-3-1.jpg

photo-4-1.jpg

the other one is still at the newark pick n pull, odo said 130k I think, and it felt like it went into all 5 gears plus reverse. It's a 79 so it's a smaller first gear and overdrive I believe. This one's an 81 so bigger first and bigger overdrive, 113k miles if I believe the odo.