datsun 510 with 280zx brakes

Bone831

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bleed the brakes. My stock calipers did something similar when I first started filling them up.

Also get a 280z master, NOT 280ZX. They are much better for rear drum brakes because the 81 master cylander is designed for rear disc brakes which I've heard can 'overpower' rear drums.

• 1 year later...

Bleed the brakes. My stock calipers did something similar when I first started filling them up.

Also get a 280z master, NOT 280ZX. They are much better for rear drum brakes because the 81 master cylander is designed for rear disc brakes which I've heard can 'overpower' rear drums.

other way around, it'd underpower the rear drums.  if I remember what I was told by wayno correctly, disc brakes only need about 3 pounds of pressure to work. drums need about 10-12 since they don't sit directly on the brake like a disc pad does.

Gees just swap the residual valve from the drum master into the ZX or Z, (although I don't see why you would run a 7/8" z master on larger zx calipers that came with a 15/16" master)  rear master. Done and done. I put a 15/16" ZX master in my 710 because of the larger Maxima calipers. All I did was put the 710 rear residual valve in it. Good to friggin go!....

cause a 7/8 is sufficient, and you don't need to swap any residual valves.  i'm still runnin a 3/4 on my 510 goon with rear discs from a 200sx. stops me just fine lol.  I might have to go to a 15/16 on one of my 710s tho. just thinking of it mike, was it goon or sedan struts/brakes you swapped on, or would it really matter?

I'm running a 15/16" ZX MC with 280zx front struts/brakes, and stock 510 rear drums.  All 4 wheels lock up at about the same time.  I've had people drive my car then say oh no the brakes don't work.  They work, you just have to press them a little harder.  I prefer manual brakes, I hate locking up tires with just my big toe resting on the pedal...

This MC will be perfect when I get the Maxima calipers on the back.  Just got to make my own brackets...