Carburetor troubles

BOZO

My stock Hitachi carburetor in my 1974 Datsun truck has seen it's final days. It has never run properly even after being rebuilt by a reputable carb shop. Upon trying to order a new (rebuilt) carb from major parts suppliers, (Autozone, Advance Auto, O'Riellys, and NAPA) I have found this part unobtainable. Does anybody know where I can get a good stock replacement carburetor? If not, what is a good aftermarket replacement? Weber, Holley, Dellorto, or other. I would like to find something to bolt to the stock intake manifold, but I am not opposed to using an aftermarket intake and carb. This problem has got my Datsun daily driver sidelined and I am having to drive my big block gas guzzling (9mpg) Chevy truck until I can get my Datsun fixed. Any help would be much appreciated.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Weber 32/36 - engine/head/and alterations done to the motor would be helpful in pinpointing a better option

Will the Weber 32/36 bolt directly to my stock manifold or does it use an adapter? The engine is bone stock.

I am fairly uninformed when it comes to oriental automobiles, so forgive me for asking questiions which are probably common knowledge to Datsun enthusiasts.

I can work on Chevys with my eyes closed but not so much on Japanese vehicles. I love how simple my Datsun is and its a blast to drive.

Thanks Eagle_Adam, I went to your supplied website and ordered the electric choke Weber kit. This should solve my problems. And also thanks to JCR for your offer. After reading some posts of people whining about their Hitachis and replacing them with Webers, I think I'll jump on the band wagon also.

agree that is the best solution

you will be very happy with the performance

not that it is like bolting on a turbo or anything

but it will start-up and run better

one of the best mods i did to my truck

i think the all time s]best thing was upgrading the headlights

good luck with the new carb and remember Pictures

IF my local auto parts stores could have gotten me a replacement Hitachi for my truck, it would have cost from $244 to $267 dollars. The Weber kit that I ordered this evening was $250 shipped to my door, which makes ordering the Weber a no brainer. After seeing a picture of the Weber, I realized this is the same carburetor I had on a VW cage buggy years ago. Easy starting and easy tuning is what I remember.

JCR... Concerning your headlight upgrade, I agree completely, my next money spent on the Datsun will be a higher amperage alternator, sealed beam halogens and headlight relays. 4 Silverstar halogen headlights can really burn a hole down the road at night.

Pictures will be forthcoming a soon as I get a chance(warmer weather) to CLR the truck and reveal some underlying patina.

Be sure to torque the adapter bolts to spec. That's the number 1 complaint about Weber 32/36 conversions, if the adapter leaks (from being too loose or too tight) then it won't run quite right. The other thing is linkage, as the Weber requires special linkage. But if that comes with the kit then you'll be OK.