Datsun 520

localcolbster

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

FIRST THING on the list will be addressing the rust, getting it blocked, and in primer ready for paint.

I think it's a nice looking truck ... as it sits.

Maybe get the motor/trans upgrade done first, then worry about paint???

Just a suggestion, because it looks pretty good in these pictures.:cool:

• Like 1

I think it's a nice looking truck ... as it sits.

Maybe get the motor/trans upgrade done first, then worry about paint???

Just a suggestion, because it looks pretty good in these pictures.:cool:

Looks good in pictures. Definitely a good 20ft'er. I used to work at a body shop, so paint and body issues really bother me.

• Like 1

Been doing some research. There is no DIRECT bolt in FI motor for the 520's. It would require moding the crossmember, tranny mounts, and fabbing up new engine mounts. Not to mention chopping up the firewall

Seems to be the only replacement for the tiny J13 motor they people seem to hate is a L16 out of later model Datsun's. Using this motor a 200SX 5 speed (dog leg) transmission count be bolted to it. Should all fit with minor alterations.

What do you know about the L16 and 200sx tranny? Is this a good option? I am needing to be able to cruise on the highway and has a little more torque to haul my Busa around in the bed.

I'm really liking the sound of your plans! What do you think about bringin just a taste of bling back~ and getting the factory grille back to stock? A little bit of chrome~ to the gunmetal/charcoal paint~ to the black wheels.... yummmmm.....

Welcome aboard~!

I'm liking the wheels so they will stay black, for paint I'm thinking a charcoal or similar color. If it goes dark I will give the windows some treatment too.

a6898e66-14af-debb.jpg

I apologize for the picture quality. I took them on my phone at night

Been doing some research. There is no DIRECT bolt in FI motor for the 520's. It would require moding the crossmember, tranny mounts, and fabbing up new engine mounts. Not to mention chopping up the firewall

Seems to be the only replacement for the tiny J13 motor they people seem to hate is a L16 out of later model Datsun's. Using this motor a 200SX 5 speed (dog leg) transmission count be bolted to it. Should all fit with minor alterations.

What do you know about the L16 and 200sx tranny? Is this a good option? I am needing to be able to cruise on the highway and has a little more torque to haul my Busa around in the bed.

I don't know anything about the L16 other than I believe it is a very tight fit according to folks on this site and would require a few modifications. My idea for my 520 is to go with an A15 or A14 and find a 5 speed for it. I believe the only mods you have to make for that swap is motor mounts and perhaps a idler arm swap to the newer style that came on the 521. I changed the differential, so I have a little more speed out of my truck. I really don't mind the tiny engine, and plan on running it til it dies. Yours has been rebuilt, which I am jealous of, but that probably means it will last forever. I'd love to hear what you end up doing. I would like a shot at the J13 if you get rid of it.

Happy wrenching!

Welcome! Love this truck! Another option for an engine is the British MGB B-series 1800. I think it will even bolt on to your stock mounts. The J13 is a copy of the British engine with minor differences. MGB guys have been known to take the head from the Datsun and put it on there B series block.

I think you might need a trans adapter plate to run the Datsun trans though.

Then if you have extra cash, look into cross flow heads or moss supercharger that British guys do!

I got your message, at least the 520 has more room than the L320s have.

I have never put an L block into a 520 with an L520 frame, but there is room enough in there for it, as other members have done it.

I dropped my 66 L520 cab onto a 1980 datsun 720 4X4 frame with an L20b engine sitting in the frame, and I used an L block 521 radiator, and it barely fit with the stock fan, I hated how high it sat, so I put it back on its stock frame which has a J15.

I am in the process of building a 1986 nissan 720 frame now to transfer it yet again, and this will be its permenet home I hope, I am trying to lower the frame without bagging it.

As fisch has said, the MGB engine is the smallest/biggest stock engine that is around that will fit easily demention wise, I have no idea what the oilpan looks like, and then there is the A 14/15 block, this engine you can still find performance parts for if you look hard, such as the dual SU type carbs, and a cam, 5 spd transmission, and even a header, although the stock exhaust manifold is as good as those headers, if not better, and will definately last longer.

If you can find a J15/16/18, that would be the easiest route, as it will bolt in, and there is no substitute for cubic inches/displacement.

I hope this helps you.