Strut insert and Rear shock guide!!!

CoilOVerKid

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the guy i bought my 280zx struts from said the kyb mr2 inserts from an 19885. the rear ones, are too big and need to be cut for them to fit.

do the monroe ones fit smoothly?

not sure which ones to guy with. 

How sure are you?

i dont think he is sure at all

Actually pretty sure. When I use the world "about" its not a specific measurement, though I pretty sure original statement is correct... If I remember correctly, the 510s came with 3 different strut lengths over their production time, but all within a close range. The number that sticks out to me is 1 3/8ths  inches longer than ZX struts. Obviously if youre going to use that number for any cutting purposes I would do your own proper measurements first. 

the guy i bought my 280zx struts from said the kyb mr2 inserts from an 19885. the rear ones, are too big and need to be cut for them to fit.

do the monroe ones fit smoothly?

not sure which ones to guy with. 

You dont have to cut them, mostly just shave the OD some. They are just a tight fit. If your struts are already shortened, thats the insert you have to run. 

Actually pretty sure. When I use the world "about" its not a specific measurement, though I pretty sure original statement is correct... If I remember correctly, the 510s came with 3 different strut lengths over their production time, but all within a close range. The number that sticks out to me is 1 3/8ths  inches longer than ZX struts. Obviously if youre going to use that number for any cutting purposes I would do your own proper measurements first. 

You dont have to cut them, mostly just shave the OD some. They are just a tight fit. If your struts are already shortened, thats the insert you have to run. 

thanks! just about the exact answer I was looking for.

you just have to get the paint off then they will fit then apply a thin layer of grease  pull them out once a year and check for rust  . if i member correctly when i used the rear sw20 mr2 struts the tubes had to be shortened 40mm . if using the front sw20 insert they have to be shortened more but i cannot remember how much

you just have to get the paint off then they will fit then apply a thin layer of grease  pull them out once a year and check for rust  . if i member correctly when i used the rear sw20 mr2 struts the tubes had to be shortened 40mm . if using the front sw20 insert they have to be shortened more but i cannot remember how much

the struts are already shortened and the guy I bought em from actually trimmed the top so that they'd fit.

I ended up buying these.

http://www.andysautosport.com/toyota/1985_1989_mr2/suspension/struts_and_shocks/kyb/

People actually buy things from Andy Autosport?  :huh:

noobs like me?

i guess so.

they're cheap and a kid from school gave me a discount code because his dad has connections or something.

so why not?

Looking now at your link, hopefully their pictures are just wrong because none of those would work... you need strut inserts not full strut bodies like they have listed. Fingers crossed those are just stock photos. You need something that looks like this:

3eVGi2Z.jpg

Looking now at your link, hopefully their pictures are just wrong because none of those would work... you need strut inserts not full strut bodies like they have listed. Fingers crossed those are just stock photos. You need something that looks like this:

3eVGi2Z.jpg

shooootttt. knowing my luck, i prob got the wrong thing.

my fingers are crossed.

ugh. i knew somethin would go wrong. 

damn it.

thanks anyways tristin.

looking at the price, there's a small chance i did order inserts.

and plus, i heard kyb doesn't make strut bodies?

Lol they make plenty of struts like that and they are all similar prices. You cant tell anything that way. You will just have to wait until you get them... this would be a prime example of why I asked if people actually bought things from there. 

You could have gotten the correct shocks in the brand you purchased for probably $15 cheaper through Rockauto. There is also almost always a coupon floating around for discounts from that place. They also almost always have correct photos and decent descriptions for their products. 

• Like 2

Lol they make plenty of struts like that and they are all similar prices. You cant tell anything that way. You will just have to wait until you get them... this would be a prime example of why I asked if people actually bought things from there. 

You could have gotten the correct shocks in the brand you purchased for probably $15 cheaper through Rockauto. There is also almost always a coupon floating around for discounts from that place. They also almost always have correct photos and decent descriptions for their products. 

looks like rockauto's my new place to go.

I've been on ratsun for so long, and ive learned so much.

yet, im still one of the biggest noobs. lol

edit: rockauto's amazing. lol

two mins of searching and bam:

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=502587&cc=1276769

i was thinking i could stop the transaction through my bank account so that andys wont ship the item. then i can call andys tomorrow morning and get it all done.

then buy off rockauto. might lose a few bucks but lesson learned.

Im pretty sure you cant do that... I think you can only stop payment on purchases that are unauthorized. 

Id just let it play out. Youll get something and if its wrong send it back. If it isnt then keep them and now you know where to order. 

All KYB GR2's for the first gen MR2 are inserts. They don't make full struts for that application.

The 87-89 rears are the right diameter for the datsun struts and shorter than stock. The 85-89 fronts and 85-86 rears are smaller diameter than the later rears, with the fronts being the longest option.

• Like 1