Questions about my new 65 L-320

Oliver

Well, i got a call from a family friend about a 65 l320 they had that has been sitting forever. I finally got it home and its a bit of a basket case, i got it running with a spare weber dft that i had. Seems that someone along the way put a j13 into it and butchered up the throttle assembly quite a bit. It is a floor shift which i thought was weird. Anyone have any input about the pedals/ how to adapt to have a cable setup? Worth keeping this engine/ trans combo or go to something different? Not too sure how i can modernize this drivetrain to make it a bit more drivable. Heres a few pics of this old beast!

20120116_124621.jpg

20120116_124635.jpg

20120116_124702.jpg

and some pics of the engine and messed up pedals.

20120119_165033.jpg

20120119_164903.jpg

20120119_164925.jpg

20120119_165012.jpg

20120119_164945.jpg

20120119_165019.jpg

Where can i even find parts for this?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

keep it with the J13 if the J13 runs well, just clean up the modifications a bit. More drivable... a good carb, a front disc conversion kit from Beebani or mklotz on this forum. IOher than that, just keep fixing and driving... the driving thing is the best idea... if you keep it running all the time, you will be less likely to let it fade away.

cant really tell... definitely not the stock rubber pad... but at the same time, its not like theres a NOS brake pedal out there for you to just buy... most of mine have been missing the pads for years. Someone else will pipe in shortly, but I'd just clean it up with a JY cable boot or a whole pedal/cable assy that looks right... I'm sure a 521 would work, but a shortened s110 200sx might be a good option too. if i feel like trudging through the 3 feet of snow at mi\y house, i'll snap picks of the actual pieces.

Well, i got a call from a family friend about a 65 l320 they had that has been sitting forever. I finally got it home and its a bit of a basket case, i got it running with a spare weber dft that i had. Seems that someone along the way put a j13 into it and butchered up the throttle assembly quite a bit. It is a floor shift which i thought was weird. Anyone have any input about the pedals/ how to adapt to have a cable setup? Worth keeping this engine/ trans combo or go to something different? Not too sure how i can modernize this drivetrain to make it a bit more drivable. Heres a few pics of this old beast!

....and some pics of the engine and messed up pedals.

Well I spent some time trying to find out what you meant by messed up peddles and can't see anything wrong with them. I guess you mean just the gas peddle?

Get the gas peddle and cable from a 620 and make that work. You will likely have to re-locate the hole but when done will be far better than that linkage abortion.

Welcome to Ratsun, nice looking truck.

This is a early stock 1963 L320 throddle cable setup with a stock nikki carb, as far as I know.

DSCN0357.jpg

DSCN0356.jpg

DSCN0358.jpg

And this is a 1964 NL320 throddle cable setup with a weber carb.

DSCN0354-1.jpg

DSCN0353-1.jpg

DSCN0351-1.jpg

DSCN0359-1.jpg

DSCN0355-1.jpg

Obviously yours has been modified, I can't tell from the photos for sure, but it looks like the thtreaded piece has been cut out of yours, if it is still there, then it should be fairly easy to go back.

yea, all the original throttle assemble has been cut out and been replaced by a weird linkage setup. is there any restoration pieces available for the truck? im also looking for the mounts because these are totally dead, and all the rubber weather striping is dead too.

The best thing that you can do is fabricate a cable setup, you might try to find a 320 truck being parted out and get the gas pedal assembly/cable, and if you really going for it, cut that area of the firewall out and weld it into yours, that's what I would do if I couldn't fabricate anything.

I think I have seen J13 motor mounts on ebay, but that would be another thing to get from a 520/521 being parted out.

There are a few options for seals ect. for the 320 on my 63 L320 thread.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/38481-waynos-1963-l320-project/

Congrats! It's no basket case at all, just needs a little better engineering on the controls.

My '65 L320 with floor shift and J13 has been a daily driver since I got it in June (until December when the snow fell), and I've had around 6K relatively trouble-free miles so far.

My J13 has the stock Nikki carb, which I think is cooler than a Weber thanks to the little viewing glass and the vacuum operated secondary barrel. It may not be as powerful as the Webers on my BMW, but my truck isn't for going fast.

My throttle cable was actually a little worn out, and I bought a brand new one here: http://www.new-datsu...ckup-parts.html

Their part # 52160 was exactly the same as the one on my truck (the first one listed), and arrived quickly and in great shape. No idea if it'll work for your Weber, but it might be closer.

Also, you can actually get most rebuild parts for the J13's Nikki carb direct from a Nissan dealer, I believe. Ask them to look up these part#s

16010-16527 (Repair Kit C (Jets, Valves, etc.)). My dealer said $37.68 for this kit.

16010-16528 (Repair Kit-D (Overhaul Kit)) My dealer said $28.88.

I'm not sure what all are in these kits, since they wanted money in advance and I didn't feel like ordering right then. Maybe I will in the spring.

Also, brake and clutch pedal pads are available new for cheap from the dealer. As with many parts, you just have to look up part numbers for a later Datsun 520/521 and most stuff from the 520/521 will work. You can even get most brake parts from Autozone or Rockauto.com if you have them look up the later 520/521, and the stuff easily fits.

Oh, and yeah your gas pedal definitely looks hacked up. The one in my L320 looks far more rigid and well designed. I may try to take a pic shortly.

Yours may have a little bit of the stock parts left, but the top looks like its been hacked up, there's a support missing on the left side, a support missing that goes over the pedal rod, etc. I'd first see if you can look up the part numbers for an L320 or a 520/521 (there are various diagrams online and parts booklet pdfs), and see if there's a chance Nissan might carry them. If not that, finding a junk truck being parted out would be good.

• 2 weeks later...

Basket case? Are we looking at the same truck? People search high and low for cars and trucks in as good condition as that one.

You are not going to be able to fully repair what has been done without some welding on the firewall. It looks pretty hacked up. It looks like the pedal has been moved too, is that right?

As far as the linkage is concerned, convert it to a cable linkage and find yourself a new pedal. I know they are floating around. You will have to fiddle with the carb side of it to convert the carb to a cable linkage, but look in wrecking yards or under your neighbors workbench for some old carb with cable linkage and start swapping pieces. A little ingenuity goes a long way.

I often make my own linkages, because in my line of work these parts just aren't available. All you really need is the cable, the cable housing, some cable ends, a barrel adjuster and a bracket to hold the cable at the carb. It would be nice to have the end on the cable match the end on the pedal, but it doesn't need to be exact. Look at the pic below and you can see a cable I made from some Datsun parts (the piece that screws to the firewall), a mountain bike cable, a bolt with a hole drilled through it and a nut, washer, and cotter pin. If you are confused, the bolt is the adjustable end that attaches to the carb.

I've also inserted a link. You can get parts to make a cable linkage from companies like Pegasus Racing.

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/advcat.asp?CategoryID=CABLES

320_Datsun_Frame_Clip_Install_086.jpg

• 1 month later...