FRAM vs. NAPA (Wix) comparison

HRH

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest kamakazi620

Yes, and FRAM meets those specifications. But those specs are much lower than NAPA Gold...

Wix filters look like the best choice but I'm sold on union Sangyo filters made in Japan for my Japanese truck,

And if you have a GM with an LT1 with low oil pressure...run a Wix or Napa Gold filter...it flows better raising the oil pressure in the engine.

Had a GM tech tell me that and I tried it...damn if he wasn't right.

Ever since then I use nothing but Napa Gold/Wix. I have used a Mobil 1 filter before though...never with issue. But, Mobil 1 is good oil, so, there filters should be too.

• 11 months later...

Don't know if this has been brought up (too many posts to read thru), but is the assumption that more pleats is better?  It may seem obvious to some, but is there a flow rate that goes with pleat count ?  i.e. pleat count vs. total flow or something like that?  Does more pleats create more flow or vice versa? And does more pleats really  = more cleaning ?  Is there a trade-off  ?

Don't kill me for bringing up these questions, but more of something doesn't always equal better just because it passes the common sense test.  How much of that is marketing vs what really works best ?  Is it really that much cheaper to do less pleats in a piece of cardboard just to shortchange people ?

Fyi, I ran my '91 Mustang 5.0 for 14 years on Fram oil filters and the thing was still running great at 192k miles when I sold it to come out west (but yes it burned about 1/2 a quart between 3 ~ 5k changes towards the last 30k miles... which is not considered too bad for a Ford at that mileage and I ran Castrol synthetic blend in it the whole time )

• Like 1

More pleats = more surface area.  If you have more surface area, you can have less restriction, more area to trap dirt, or a finer filter medium, that normally would increase restriction, but the larger area makes up for the finer filter material having the higher restriction.

With that being said, the correct filter for a Datsun L-engine is this one.

OilFilter.jpg

Why, do you ask?  Because a Datsun L-engine had a oil filter bypass in the block, and the correct Nissan oil filter does not have an internal bypass.  Most aftermarket oil filters do have an internal bypass.

More info.  If your Ford takes the Motorcraft FL1-A oil filter, I got some at  Walmart, for less than $4.00, last week.

Don't forget, a lot of Datsun L motors remove that in block bypass ball as most of the filters have it already.  And while it may be the correct filter, it should be noted that having one in the block and one in the filter doesn't hurt anything.

You may have gotten away with fram for 15 years because you serviced your motor more often. It was EFI (a big improvement over carbs for engine longevity because of superior air fuel ratios) and you probably looked after it with proper maintenance and tune ups.

I remember them. It's one of those things where it would 'seem' to work perfectly but.... does it restrict flow? does it really filter that well? will it plug up easier?

Ah I see it does not replace the regular oil filter. It's added in parallel for additional filtering.