FRAM vs. NAPA (Wix) comparison

HRH

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And as I suspected, there is little difference between the ProSelect and the Silver. Same good quality construction, slightly more paper at 57 pleats vs 51 in the ProSelect. Nitrile anti-drainback valve. Gold is still the king of the heap, but even the cheaper versions are still better constructed than FRAM. And here's the rest, enjoy!

framsucks12.jpg

framsucks13.jpg

framsucks14.jpg

framsucks15.jpg

What did you use to cut the filters open?

Cost of cheapest filter/most expensive?

Dremel for the first four, die grinder cut off for the last two. A little less nice on the cut, but the dremel wheels are expensive and it went through them pretty quick.

Cheapest to most expensive I'm not sure. Consult your local NAPA! ;) Usually for a 1515 Ford/Datsun filter its around 7 bucks or something after tax, the other two are like 4 or 5 I think. Think I paid 4 and 7 for the FRAM 3 and 6x at OReilly's for a shit quality filter.

Hang them from the ceiling, long strings and knots every so often, kind of like and exploded view!

Think I may do that, was debating how to display them as space is at a premium at our store. Kinda small.

Both NAPAs near me only have the Pro Selects on the shelf. You can get the NAPA gold, but they're behind the counter. One is a corporate store and the other is an independent. Both stores say the other is bad. Problem is neither carry everything the other one carries, so I have to visit both.

CarQuest brand filters are WIX as well.

National sells WIX branded filters, they're about $7.50 each, couple bucks more than a ProSelect, but they are the black filter can.

Of course, when I can get them I just use Motorcraft FL1A filters, which are made by Purolator with a special Motorcraft outside can.

Matt - Seems a good place to remind everyone the filter that fits most Fords of a few years ago is a proper replacement on L-series engines. WIX number is 51515 I'm pretty sure. I learned that from you in a post you made some time ago. I was a bit skeptical, but my local guy looked it up and every spec in his book was the same - thread size, relief pressure, etc. Except the 51515 is longer, so I would think more filter area, and cheaper than the smaller Datsun size filter. Any parts store in the boonies will have a Ford filter in stock, too. Maybe not so much with the fits-Datsun one.

Len

I use the 1521 filter from Napa over the 1515. You can use that Ford/Datsun one, but it's taller and often more expensive. The 1521 is shorter and costs less, and is easier to install(you don't have to fight the right side engine mount). Also easier to remember the part# 1521 ;)

Micro, interesting you say that. The 1521 I sell anywhere around here is twice the cost of the 1515, hence the usage of the more common Ford filter. Micron rating is the same, and the height difference is pretty minimal. I'm just surprised the 1521 is cheaper in your area.

Oh, something else to note, a lot of Nissan "OE" filters aren't of the same quality they used to be. Bigger dealerships often cheap out, in which case the established aftermarket still makes a better product.

Fram, which happens to be over hyped therefore over priced

Au contraire, Fram is competively priced. I agree they are overly advertised, but then NAPA markets a bunch of different versions too.

1978 Datsun 620 (L20B engine)

* WIX 51452 oil filter: $11.49 oreillyauto

* NAPA Gold FIL 1452: $12.49 napaonline

* NAPA ProSelect SFI 21515: $3.49 napaonline

* FRAM Extra Guard PH8A: $3.99 oreillyauto

* FRAM Tough Guard TG8A: $6.99 oreillyauto

* FRAM High Mileage HM8A: $7.99 oreillyauto

It's funny how a NAPA counterman will say that a NAPA filter is junk. What a way to inspire confidence.

In the end, they all meet OEM specs. I would not spend extra $$$ on one, but will buy the better filter for the same price (e.g. the Pro Select). After all, I end up changing it regularly, and even the cheaper filters don't clog up when changed regularly (or do they?)

Both NAPAs near me only have the Pro Selects on the shelf. You can get the NAPA gold, but they're behind the counter. One is a corporate store and the other is an independent. Both stores say the other is bad. Problem is neither carry everything the other one carries, so I have to visit both.

CarQuest brand filters are WIX as well.

National sells WIX branded filters, they're about $7.50 each, couple bucks more than a ProSelect, but they are the black filter can.

Of course, when I can get them I just use Motorcraft FL1A filters, which are made by Purolator with a special Motorcraft outside can.

If you're referring to this post ggzilla, I think he meant both stores hate each other, but maybe I'm mistaken? Either way, someone has some serious management issues over there. Both should recognize the significance of the Gold being the better filter. It's not because of the label, it's because of what's in it, and the cost reflects that.

Now, as for your cost comparison, we're not comparing apples to apples. You have the 1452 listed whereas the others are PH8A which is the Ford 1515 equivalent. All the filters I just cut apart are 1515s/PH8As.

From NAPA online just now, I can go get a NAPA Gold 1515 filter for $6.03

Compare that to the Tough Guard FRAM for $6.99. Given the internal difference, they're competitively priced alright, but one's a turd in a box, the other is quality, a la Tommy Boy! :)

I've found very few Datsuns that can't fit a 1515 in place of a 1452, which is why I tell people to use the 1515 as the cost is HALF when the filter is identical.

Also, the matter of the 1452 being shorter Micro, I just checked: It isn't. 5.178" tall. They're listed the same height online. It's exactly the same part, but those who don't know pay extra. Same micron rating, same gasket, same thread, same size. Maybe at one time they were a different height. Don't know. And the 1452 is $11.25 online.

As for cheaper filters clogging. Yes, they can. When they do, they go into bypass mode. In a Gold filter, that's the separate little housing that doesn't allow contaminated oil back into the system. In a FRAM, it goes back along the outer edge of the filter, past the previous contaminants that have been removed, and then back into the oil supply. So all the shit that you've pulled out is now being reintroduced into the motor.

Add high oil temperatures and a cardboard end cap, guess what happens there? I know of a Dodge motor and an RX7 motor both destroyed by a cheap shit filter with cardboard end caps. From wear or heat, the filter element collapsed and plugged up the oil galley which then starved the motor for oil. Food for thought.

Yea, no I meant the 2 stores hate each other. The Indy says the corporate stores undercut them, the corporate guys say the indy store doesn't know their stuff, etc. I've had issues with both, but both have also been as helpful as they can. I only got tear-gassed in the corporate store though.