battery not charging

Gibby

alright. i had issues with my truck starting. somewhat narrowed it down to my starter going so i bought a new one. the day after my battery wouldnt hold a charge. so i bought a new alternator as well. and battery still isnt holding a charge. (battery is only a few months old) replaced a ground wire to the alternator and made sure everything was hooked up right x5 over. cant figure out this issue as to why my battery isnt getting charged. all the wires seem in decent shape. replaced the only frayed wire we saw. any suggestions?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yea tried the voltage meter. reads around twelve usually. even when the truck is running and you unplug the the positive it should stay on. mine dies instantly.and i havent noticed anything fried. except a fuse. replaced it and same thing. it all looks like everything should go where it should. even took pictures before so i knew where and how to hook it up. the connections all seem proper. dad is saying it could be a relay. but i have no real way of actually checking each wire for voltage. or possably a bad ground???

So too can a wiring problem cause the exact same symptoms. I wouldn't buy yet another new part until I tested it and found out which part is bad.

Test the system, it's easy and costs nothing.

1. With engine OFF, key OFF measure voltage at ALTERNATOR A terminal (or BAT terminal) and alternator case. If you get the same voltage as at the battery terminals it's good. If you get lower voltage, you have a wiring problem.

2. Unplug the T-connector and start the engine. Put your Voltmeter on the battery terminals. Jump a wire from alternator BAT to the F terminal of the alternator. If the voltage jumps up, the alternator is working. CAUTION: Don't let the voltage go over 17volts. If the voltage doesn't change, you got a bad alternator (new ones can be bad too).

Reconnect the T-connector.

3. If the alternator worked when jumpered, now test the wiring from the regulator. Unplug the voltage regulator and start the engine.

* Internally regulated alternator: In the harness regulator connector jump the White-with-black-stripe wire to Battery +. If the voltage jumps up, thats's good. if it doesn't, the wiring harness is bad somewhere.

* Externally regulated alternator: skip this step

4. Check the harness feed wires. The White wire should read 12V when key is OFF. If not, there is a wiring problem somewhere. Between the White wire and the Black wire you should have 12V. If not you have a ground problem. With KEY ON engine OFF, check that White/blue stripe wire has 12V.

5. If all the above checks out, replace the voltage regulator.

Yea, you still havent mentioned the voltage regulator...

They go out. Heck, just replaced one on a friends 521, and then the new one went out. They can fail and not let the alt charge properly.

yea i just replaced it a few days ago.

I had an issue with my ign. light being on even though it was charging, I replaced the alternator, voltage regulator, I checked everything, so I finnaly took the light out of the dash, put a voltage meter under the hood and drove it till it finnaly gave up a year later. The reason for this story is, I then went out and bought a 1980 internally regulated alternator and installed it, then I wired the voltage regulator plug like this with the wires connected properly, put the light back in the dash, and have not had an issue since.

DSCN1040.jpg

Is there a blown Fuse????? clean contacks

if yes fix that first.

alternator is good. you said yes.

If you tryed a new volt reg then I think your losing a field sense of what ever you want to call it.

For me It was the loose connection in back of the instrument panel. I just reconnected it and it stoped blowing my fuse.I guess it make s a loop of some sort back to the alternator field circut as I took my alternator in to be tested at NAPA, also and tryed another and it still didnt work in my 521. Then I know it was the truck but wires were fine. so figured corrossion or loose connection

if you meter says 12volt while running then dont drive it cause your just draining your battery. If you do this to many time then the the battery will also go bad (Like a OPTIMA, they really bad)

Make sure they load test the battery Some places just spin them up to see 14volt then put a little load it just kills it

I swear it sounds like your Fuseblock, I had all unblown fuses and replaced an alt, volt reg and battery before Zi cleanded the damn thing. No I have no maore electrical issues.

never hurts to soak em in vinegar for a while even if you dont have problems :lol: