Lockleafs 720 Shenanigans!

Lockleaf

Ran a compression test on my truck today, just to be sure of my head gasket diagnosis. I'm getting 80 but bleeds off quickly, 60, 55, 60 on the cylinders. It also burns oil so some of that is past the rings, but regardless, this engine is done. Time to prep my 143k engine for install.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Old engine out. Engine bay pressure washed New engine pressure washed (not perfect, but clean enough) and ready for new gaskets. New clutch and full tune up on hand ready to install. Repainted my valve cover and Weber air cleaner lid with some wrinkle black paint. I'm also modifying a couple small things to make the carb area a little cleaner.

Also planned for this install, modifying my engine bay wiring harness on carb side so that the wiring isn't right in the way of changing the oil filter.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Went to install some gaskets on my new motor the other day.  First off, rear main seal.  And then I tore a big chunk out of it trying to install it.  Not even really sure what I did.  I sure didn't feel like I was trying that hard.  Got all pissed and went back inside, feeling whiny and done for the day.  It's basically been raining since here in Utah, so yay that.

• Like 1

I retorqued my head bolts while the engine was out. Went to install my new valve cover gasket and half moon plugs. Realized I somehow have no goo. Doh! But I got my rear main installed. New tune up is also installed now.

IMG_20150917_185139817_zpsyjut1zxt.jpg

I also had an exhaust bolt busted off in the head. Center punched, it drilled it, and son of a bitch, it worked! It messed up a couple of threads but there were enough left that I'm comfortable with it.

IMG_20150917_185128646_zpswl93vmj0.jpg

Nearly ready to drop it back in!

• Like 1

Did oil pan gasket yesterday. I kinda forgot I didn't drain the oil out, so when I dropped the pan...... Yeah. Luckily, i had the motor hanging over the tire it's been sitting on, so I basically filled the tire with oil. Then I filled it with kitty litter. Could have been worse.

IMG_20150923_120802297_zps01rbkv6t.jpg

Replaced the oil pan gasket, and the front crank seal. Crank pulley came off and went on with impressive ease. All the resealing i planned is now finished.

Intake manifold is now on as well. Still need to install flywheel and clutch and then it's ready to go back in!

• Like 1

Did oil pan gasket yesterday. I kinda forgot I didn't drain the oil out, so when I dropped the pan...... Yeah. Luckily, i had the motor hanging over the tire it's been sitting on, so I basically filled the tire with oil. Then I filled it with kitty litter. Could have been worse.

IMG_20150923_120802297_zps01rbkv6t.jpg

Replaced the oil pan gasket, and the front crank seal. Crank pulley came off and went on with impressive ease. All the resealing i planned is now finished.

Intake manifold is now on as well. Still need to install flywheel and clutch and then it's ready to go back in!

Ha ha....i did exactly the same thing installing my old Z motor into one of my trucks a couple weeks back......no cat litter though, dumped some planer shavings into the tire 'FTW'

• Like 2

Yay fun stories! The worst I've had was pulling the auto trans out of my Subaru svx. The center diff had gone and burned the hell out of the atf. Trans came out but torque converter didn't, it stayed at the flex plate. When the trans slid free, the torque converter (which I had already unbolted from the flex plate) dropped out and hit the cement pretty close to my head, scared the crap out of me. Then it proceeded to dump all the burned atf out. Seeing as how I was balancing the transmission on a jack at the time, I just had to lay there while the burned atf basted me in the scent of fresh anus. It took a year before that coat quit stinking. Worst smell ever. Soaked in to my hair, my skin, ugh.

• Like 2

Alright folks, the new engine is officially bolted in! I didn't get any pics taken today though. I've installed 4 or 5 of these engines and this was the best install yet. I tried a trick I hadn't before.

It's always a fight to get the trans and engine aligned while also clearing the front diff. I usually have to try a couple times to get it aligned. I took the big bolt out of the diff mount, which allowed the diff to drop only 3/4 of an inch, but that 3/4 was the best thing ever. Everything went together with a minimum of effort.

Still tons of work to do. I started modifying the engine bay wiring harness so I can re route them away from the oil filter. I'm thinking of going along the firewall then under the intake and down to everything.

Word to pics ratio in this thread sucks!

• Like 1

IMG_20150929_165644419_zpscefeaehd.jpg

IMG_20150929_165632789_zpsnmqw2nr6.jpg

This is my custom throttle cable bracket

IMG_20150929_170146266_zpsocnnebk3.jpg

I rearranged my fuel lines and welded on new brackets.

IMG_20150929_165727210_zpsapfiqrie.jpg

I disassembled the main wiring trunk that went to the alternator and sensors and such. Rewired it so it isn't in the way of the oil filter any more. Alternator and water temp are bound together now.

IMG_20150929_165752086_zpsc9m2xlxy.jpg

Then I bound the starter signal and oil pressure wiring to the wiring that goes back to the trans. I had to extend those wires by about 6 inches to make it work.

No pic yet.

The only thing left in wiring is to get a longer cable to the starter so I can route it the same way I did the above.

A shot of the joke in progress.

IMG_20150929_165802584_zps892jzyhh.jpg

I also pulled all the wires from the carb wiring connector except the choke power cable and sealed the backside with silicone. Since I'm running a Weber nothing else is needed.

IMG_20150929_165938917_zpsrwpcjvol.jpg

I also removed a few more left over bits from when I de-emissioned the truck and moved all that writing out of sight.

• Like 1

Longer battery cable now routed. About 6 inches longer than stock. Got most of my hoses hooked up today after installing the fan and radiator. That is when I hit a snag. Wiggling the top hose to get it on, I cracked the radiator where the hose connector meets the top tank. I cracked it about 30% of the way around, across the top. I have a brass/copper radiator, so I decided to try soldering it myself to repair it.

Sanded the area, cleaned it, painted it with flux, then hit it with a mapp gas torch.

IMG_20151001_142121219_zpspctb9fnf.jpg

IMG_20151001_142125553_zpsak8o7wgj.jpg

Theres the result. I hope it worked but I haven't pressure tested it yet.

Also of note, I freaking hate how Nissan put the drain cock dead center over the front frame rail. A couple of years back I fitted this ball cock drain valve (teeheehee) and it is awesome!

IMG_20151001_133507637_zpsxo76yxh2_edit_

• Like 1

I have these vintage rims I want to put on my truck. 15x10. The paint is in terrible shape and I am violently opposed to white rims anyway.

20150412_192119_zps5q4hhtnj.jpg

I have this truck I wish to put them on.

011312165752.jpg

011312165818.jpg

I'm trying to decide what to paint them. I'm thinking gloss black with charcoal metallic faces on the stripes, or the inverse, charcoal metallic with black faces.

Thoughts? I don't want silver because that would match the truck and look weird. I hate white. Solid black isn't what I'm looking for. Other options?

• Like 1

Haven't ever bothered to test fit my western wheels on my truck, so I thought I ought to do that.

IMG_20151004_143254579_zpszuem4qux.jpg

IMG_20151004_143337028_zpsamozinbp.jpg

They stick out an inch past my factory fender flares. Not optimal, but once tires are on I will see what I think.

IMG_20151004_145640337_zpsoblfrljp.jpg

I have the fender flares from my R50 pathfinder laying around. I might try test fitting those for kicks and giggles just because they are at least an inch wider than the 720 flares.

• Like 1

Don't go gloss black. Gloss black are for steel rims with covers or caps on them. Silver, gray or charcoal. Don't paint the spokes or anything else. The shadows cast by the upper rim and the spokes will fill them in nicely. Rims should be elegant not gauche. Paint the caliper so it shows through but a flat reddish color. 

• Like 1

I think I'm going with a charcoal color with bare metal spokes on the rims . And they are likely to be my next project.

Fired the engine today. Took a couple of tries. Turned great but no start. Ran on starting fluid so we did into the fuel system. Ended up having to bang on the fuel pump solenoid to get power sent to the fuel pump. After that started perfect. :). Runs great too.

IMG_20151008_183936008_zps9isbqe38.jpg

Got the valves adjusted hot as per FSM and installed my pretty valve cover (I installed the engine with an ugly one on so I didn't scratch my nice one.)

And as far as I can tell, my radiator repair holds pressure. Excellent.

Still to do:

Paint rims

Install new tires

Complete new exhaust from down pipe back

New trans and diff fluids

Install a tow hitch

Install new tailgate latch.

• Like 1

Took a sidestep today. Lost storage for my parts truck, so I had to bring it home. Don't have much storage available here, so I had some decisions to make.

Already took engine and trans. Otherwise, complete truck.

IMG_20151013_112610929_zpsuyrumvzx.jpg

Dragged the bed onto my trailer then started filling it. Pair of civic seats each attached by one bolt were the first to go followed by some other trash.

Then got the cab off. Lifted it with my engine hoist.

IMG_20151013_133945472_zpsqhqds5c6.jpg

IMG_20151013_132517510_zpsxciltbtt.jpg

Had to get the frame out of the way

IMG_20151013_133936804_zpsqvyjsoyd.jpg

IMG_20151013_133928848_zpscdwaqkib.jpg

IMG_20151013_135554313_zpszjpi2lkc.jpg

IMG_20151013_155604834_zps8dpodhfq.jpg

Sadly I missed getting pics of us cutting off the front of the truck. But here's what's left of the cab.

IMG_20151013_184219009_zpsdijqkw2u.jpg

IMG_20151013_184211484_zpsvnxncdna.jpg

We also cut a chunk out of the frame to save for a later project. Plus that made the frame easier to load on to the trailer.

IMG_20151013_162229316_zpsl5vcp8vs.jpg

I kept the cab (obviously), the a/c system, the rear axle, the front diff, the transfer case, the chunk of frame, the doors, the power steering pump and p/s steering box, and the alternator. This truck already donated it's engine to my truck and its trans will go in my step father's truck. His current trans will get checked out and if I can replace the bad bearings, I will keep it as a short 5 speed, possibly just use the case and some different gears. Yay today!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Got new tires mounted on my vintage Western Wheels Turbines 15x10. They still need painting, but that will come in spring.

IMG_20151105_161309797_zps2wzibnt6.jpg

Then realized I needed mag lug nuts. Ordered them from summit, who had them for nearly half any one else's cost. 24 nuts with washers for $29.50.

Got those. They didn't fit the rims. Couple thousandths to large to go through the rim holes. Crap.

IMG_20151105_193110330_zpsemvyrueu.jpg

Did some looking, figured out 11/16 was only a couple thousandths larger than my lug nuts.

IMG_20151105_194507311_zpsuerjqw6o.jpg

IMG_20151105_194520877_zps35ozllaw.jpg

My brother happened to have a nice one. So I hooked it to my drill and did some rim modifications.

IMG_20151105_194437704_zpstsllfvsv.jpg

Came out perfect.

IMG_20151105_193115511_zps0iakpqoa.jpg

Rims go on tomorrow.

• Like 1

Tires and rims installed. The tread is covered by the flares up front, but pokes in the back. Looks good though. But now it rubs on the body when turning again... Gonna have to fix that.

IMG_20151106_173923483_zpsiunrarse.jpg

Front

IMG_20151106_173953367_zps0miikzoh.jpg

Rear

IMG_20151106_174006743_zps9tpjaeh8.jpg

• Like 4