Headliner

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

510?

Ebay has a kit. Very nice material. I put it in my wagon.

When you remove the bows, keep them in order.

You will need to pull both front and rear windows, as well as the door welting.

With the new headliner, run the bows through and mount the bows.

Now the fun time, You will need a lot of binder clips. I used about 130 on my wagon (bought on ebay for cheap). Go around and start clipping the headliner to the lip around the car. Pull the center first, front and back. Then start working your way around. You want the headliner very taught. Go back through a couple of times and keep pulling the fabric. I let mine sit overnight before a final pull.

Finally I have, and another member, used rubber cement to glue it in. Go around undoing sections of like 3 clips (you will get a rhythm), and glueing the fabric to the lip/flange.

I would suggest using some sort of foam for insulation above the headliner, and maybe do some sound deadening up there too like fatmat or something.

Here are a few pics:

SNC11147.JPG

SNC11148.JPG

SNC11149.JPG

SNC11150.JPG

SNC11153.JPG

Hope this helps. And yes the corners are very annoying.

• Like 1

510?

Ebay has a kit. Very nice material. I put it in my wagon.

When you remove the bows, keep them in order.

You will need to pull both front and rear windows, as well as the door welting.

With the new headliner, run the bows through and mount the bows.

Now the fun time, You will need a lot of binder clips. I used about 130 on my wagon (bought on ebay for cheap). Go around and start clipping the headliner to the lip around the car. Pull the center first, front and back. Then start working your way around. You want the headliner very taught. Go back through a couple of times and keep pulling the fabric. I let mine sit overnight before a final pull.

Finally I have, and another member, used rubber cement to glue it in. Go around undoing sections of like 3 clips (you will get a rhythm), and glueing the fabric to the lip/flange.

I would suggest using some sort of foam for insulation above the headliner, and maybe do some sound deadening up there too like fatmat or something.

Here are a few pics:

SNC11147.JPG

SNC11148.JPG

SNC11149.JPG

SNC11150.JPG

SNC11153.JPG

Hope this helps. And yes the corners are very annoying.

looks like strong material

Nice work

Here is the link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/DATSUN-510-HEADLINER-1968-1973-2-4-DOOR-NEW-BOX-/310371721875?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item484398a293

Here is the color chart:

vinyl1%2525201.jpg

For reference mine is the Silver Grey.

As for a write up, Im not sure what else I would add. I dont have any other photos. I will say make sure to get it looking right before glueing. This includes the A and B pillar fabric. Oh I just realized a sedan probably has C pillar fabric too... At the top of the pillars I rolled my fabric and then pulled tight to make a nice even look. I did the pillar fabric last. You will get the headliner in the box, but also an additional piece of fabric, that is where the pillar fabric comes from, and the visor fabric (I need to get my friend to sew up my visors...). Take your time, it will come together. It is not difficult, just need to get those wrinkles out. I would suggest adding some 1/8 to 1/4 foam behind the pillar fabric, makes for a nicer look and not so painful if you hit your head.

Mmm probably. I just didnt go white because my car is white (I think white on white when the whites are different looks terrible), and because I figured it would get dirty easy. This fabric seems like it is easy to clean with a wet cloth though.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 years later...
  • 4 months later...

@Laecaon

I know this is an old thread but I have a quick question.

My son and I are trying to install a new headliner in his goon.

At the rear edge of the headliner there is a piece of cardboard that is sew into the rear edge. Is that hard edge to be slipped into the metal channel at the rear of the roof and then the headliner is folded back towards the front. If it's not locked into the slot it would have to be glued on top of the metal channel. The problem we have is if we lock the cardboard into the slot our headliner seems about an 1" short. The bows won't stand up vertically which makes stretching it a problem.