280zx dumpage drift project

z guy

so a couple weeks ago i picked up this 79 280zx, with all intentions of slamming it and drifting it, right now its monster truck height and needs some work

2011-12-27_09-37-56_802-1.jpg

2012-01-08_15-43-29_955.jpg

going start with cleaning up the hell hole of wires and vacuum lines, removed the aux cooling fan that blows HOT air on the intake manifold. want to get a EGR free intake but those are $

quick shot of engine, valve cover removed for some cleaning, SOME cleaning, didnt finish and polish like i had hoped.

IMG951470.jpg

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

suspension wise im not sure yet, was considering the weld on coilover kit that replaces stock spring seat. not really much out there for lowering spring for these cars so ill probly havto do something custom. and as for manual steering im going to keep it, a power steering pump just robs power haha, wanto get as much power out of this little l28 as i can

It doesn't really rob any power actually. I've considered converting to power steering so I can do modded knuckles and still be able to turn in parking lots lol if you plan to "dump" it then you're going to ned to weld some sort of coilover solution on the front. Then you'll run into camber problems in the rar like I have, and have to do some drastic shit to fix it, like I am lol the biggest problem with drifting this chassis is the severe lack of steering angle, its ridiculous lol

Honestly, welded is the way to go for a budget. I tried the VLSD route, it worked great since id shimmed it up, but the only solution for axles is sketchy and I actually ended up breaking one, with stock NA power and 195s lol

I'm rocking a welded now, and only barely noticed any difference with tire wear. A proper alignment will save tires more than a limited slip will over a welded.

No, no it does not. I've taken plenty of high speed turns with my welded. Don't talk about this shit unless you have some fucking experience.

The ONLY time I ever notice any kind of chirping or scrubing or abnormal behavior is in parking lots at less than 10mph. I don't even notice it making right hand turns on a regular road.

sweet, now just gotta find someone with a 220v welder that knows that theyre doin! cause i get stuck with this open diff sometimes it sucks! haha, hard to even drift in the rain with it to, cause itl grab hard. you probly know what im talkin about

No, no it does not. I've taken plenty of high speed turns with my welded. Don't talk about this shit unless you have some fucking experience.

The ONLY time I ever notice any kind of chirping or scrubing or abnormal behavior is in parking lots at less than 10mph. I don't even notice it making right hand turns on a regular road.

ACTUALLY, it depends on what climate you're in. In summer, it's not that bad, especially with narrow tires. The wider the tires the more the issue, the colder it is the more you have a problem. I drove the 510 with a welded diff for a year and through winter. Winter is VERY sketchy with a welded diff, particularly if you get near sheet ice. I remember one trip home, the guy I took back from the body shop will never ride with me again. He was white by the time we got home because it was kick right, oh, kick left, kick right, kick left, ALL the way home. I had fun, just not while passing cars.

Anyway, if you're in a warm climate it won't be much of an issue. In cold weather, I wouldn't recommend it. I finally upgraded to an LSD for the 510 for that very reason.

ACTUALLY, it depends on what climate you're in. In summer, it's not that bad, especially with narrow tires. The wider the tires the more the issue, the colder it is the more you have a problem. I drove the 510 with a welded diff for a year and through winter. Winter is VERY sketchy with a welded diff, particularly if you get near sheet ice. I remember one trip home, the guy I took back from the body shop will never ride with me again. He was white by the time we got home because it was kick right, oh, kick left, kick right, kick left, ALL the way home. I had fun, just not while passing cars.

Anyway, if you're in a warm climate it won't be much of an issue. In cold weather, I wouldn't recommend it. I finally upgraded to an LSD for the 510 for that very reason.

well i live in seattle and you know what they say. its rainy and cold ALOT. just lsd's for these are hard to come by and expesive usually. i also havto daily drive this car for a while

I lived in Seattle briefly, not saying you can't do it, but just be aware you have to keep an eye on things. I know those sweeping on ramps get slippery as fuck even in mild rain over there. Remember drifting quite a few with an open diff 2wd D21. Add a locker and things get interesting really quick. Ends tend to swap too.

You can definitely do it, just be careful. Or your nice Z will be hitting a wall, but not a softer tire wall, a big steel guardrail wall! ;)

I'll add some on your NA power, right now I'm making 150 ft/lbs and 143hp which is 26 hp over stock at the wheels for the old tired p79/F54 l28. This is all from a 1982 280zx motor with unknown miles SU carbs MSA 3-2-1 header 2 inch exhaust fidanza flywheel and some tuning I live at 6200 feet too so that kills some power the torque is amazing and nice throttle response too I can get my car sideways just stomping it entering a corner with my 215/70/14 crappy tires :P. With a higher rear end ratio tripple carbs or ITB's and megasquirt and a decent cam a little headwork and good exhaust you could have an amazing NA motor with gobs of torque that would be great for drifting