Oil light

von1988

I'm having some troubles with my 720. It has 280k+ miles on the dash and eveytime I turn it on the oil light stays on for a couple seconds. I'm thinking it's the oil pump going out but I don't know much about Datsuns. Can y'all help.

Also any of you guys out here in the Houston area? Thanks in advance.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Until the pressure builds up, the oil light is supposed to stay on. A couple seconds is normal.

Whenever you turn the car off, all the oil drains back to the pan. The switch for the light typically turns off at between 3-5 psi.. every time you start the car, the pump has to re-pressurize the system. I think you're ok. To know for sure, you'd have to hook up a mechanical gauge to get a true reading.

Is it time for an oil and filter change?

If not too cool try thicker oil.

For about $15 you can replace the sender on the side of the block below the intake.

If you do decide to get a new oil pump get the one for the

'86.5-'89 D21 Hardbody with the Z24i motor. It's a high volume unit.

Typical. They look very much the same. Some poor bugger is driving around with a pump that supplies 14% less oil that he thinks.

Stock L or Z series oil pump. If you look down the inlet hole you will barely see only the top of the internal rotor.

motorHi-volumeoilpump1Lg.jpg

L or Z series hi volume oil pump. Now you can see the top and some of the side of the internal rotor.

motorHi-volumeoilpump2Lg.jpg

IMG_0186.jpg

Vehicles with this pump are :

D21 Hardbody '86-'99 with Z24i motor Pt# 15010-V0300 or KA24E Pt#15010-40F00 4 cylinder motors+ (my pick)

(Also in the Maxima '81-'84 with LD28 diesel motor and 280zx TURBO '81'83 automatics only).

Is it time for an oil and filter change?

If not too cool try thicker oil.

For about $15 you can replace the sender on the side of the block below the intake.

If you do decide to get a new oil pump get the one for the

'86.5-'89 D21 Hardbody with the Z24i motor. It's a high volume unit.

Try these first.

It's an external pump with four 12mm bolts. A problem can arise if the drive spindle falls out with it when you remove it. Best to mark the distributor position and remove it. Have someone hold the spindle with some pliers. Remove and swap the pump and put the distributor back in.

Be sure to fill the new pump with oil.

EIdizzyandhivoloilpump014Large.jpg