240Z Show Car Build Up

Datsun Parts

I picked up a very low mileage 72 240Z from the 2nd owner about 6 months ago. It was a garage queen with minor rust, matching numbers and a PERFECT dash. It had a automatic transmission too. After a few dollars and a few signatures I was driving it home. I am going to post the a few progress photos so far and show what it looked like when I got it. As it sits today its a painted shell that I am now starting to piece together. I will update photos as I go.

IMG_0821.jpg

IMG_0825.jpg

IMG_0827.jpg

IMG_0283.jpg

IMG_0281.jpg

IMG_0293.jpg

IMG_0294.jpg

IMG_0392.jpg

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Made a few more advances on the Z this week. New windshield and all glass installed. Finished up the POR15 rust prevention on the undercarriage and floor pans. Removed all of the suspension, rebuilt the brake booster and steering rack. Sending out the fuel tank this week for cleaning and coating. Also installed the clear side markers, HID headlights and tackled some more wiring. Wheels are at the polish shop. Running staggered 17 x 9.5 Rears and 17 x 8.5 up front so I will have to add a Jspec flare and body kit too. A few more photos....

IMG_0441.jpg

IMG_0450.jpg

IMG_0449.jpg

IMG_0446.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I picked up a very low mileage 72 240Z from the 2nd owner about 6 months ago. It was a garage queen with minor rust, matching numbers and a PERFECT dash. It had a automatic transmission too. After a few dollars and a few signatures I was driving it home. I am going to post the a few progress photos so far and show what it looked like when I got it. As it sits today its a painted shell that I am now starting to piece together. I will update photos as I go.

IMG_0821.jpg

IMG_0825.jpg

IMG_0827.jpg

IMG_0283.jpg

IMG_0281.jpg

IMG_0293.jpg

IMG_0294.jpg

IMG_0392.jpg

Nice work.

• 2 weeks later...

So a few more updates...been working hard on my 620 so not much has been done in the last month or so.

I did special order a Kaminari front air damn and desided to go with fiberglass bumpers.

All of my suspension parts are back from power coating just need to assemble it all.

I got a really nice billet Mustasche Bar for my R200 conversion off ebay.

The fuel tank had a surge tank welded in and its out getting it gutted, cleaned and professionally coated.

I got my euro tail lights installed and Jose from R Rated hooked me up with all the correct wiring, also added some sweet LED bulbs too.

The entire interior is all done in fatmat (dynomat knockoff). Retractable seat belts converted into a 260Z style 3 point is all done now too.

Spent a day working on installing the Door glass, window regulators, and locks which are all back in, fully lubed and funtional again. It took forever to find where all my correct nuts and bolts go that I had cad plated.

I had to make some dangerous mods and file the door handle holes to clear the aftermarket handles but it all worked out.

I also added two power amps to compliment the sound system. I will get some more photos up soon.

f6a5debd.jpg

a613187f.jpg

So a few more updates...been working hard on my 620 so not much has been done in the last month or so.

I did special order a Kaminari front air damn and desided to go with fiberglass bumpers.

All of my suspension parts are back from power coating just need to assemble it all.

I got a really nice billet Mustasche Bar for my R200 conversion off ebay.

The fuel tank had a surge tank welded in and its out getting it gutted, cleaned and professionally coated.

I got my euro tail lights installed and Jose from R Rated hooked me up with all the correct wiring, also added some sweet LED bulbs too.

The entire interior is all done in fatmat (dynomat knockoff). Retractable seat belts converted into a 260Z style 3 point is all done now too.

Spent a day working on installing the Door glass, window regulators, and locks which are all back in, fully lubed and funtional again. It took forever to find where all my correct nuts and bolts go that I had cad plated.

I had to make some dangerous mods and file the door handle holes to clear the aftermarket handles but it all worked out.

I also added two power amps to compliment the sound system. I will get some more photos up soon.

f6a5debd.jpg

a613187f.jpg

beautiful color on the z why aftermarket handles you can get nissan ones for about 60 each

• 4 weeks later...

Been working on a new coil over conversion for my 620 truck and will all my work not much time for the Z. Here are a few things I have worked on over the last couple months.

63acadf4.jpg

Underseat AMP

93d6b65d.jpg

New Front End Parts

d9ffee00.jpg

Rear Wheel and Tire with Wilwood Brakes

5a82356d.jpg

New AEM ECU and 10000 wire harness. Glad my guys at R Rated know how to hook it up!

enginelucas.jpg

Glyptal Coated Stroker Engine Block

5e67a616.jpg

Crank getting torqued to spec.

6ea38082.jpg

Fuel Tank prep for Fuel Injection Sump

ITB2.jpg

Custom built ITBs, I have sinced polished the Manifold.

I am going to sell this conversion once I finish mine and confirm everything works. It will be complete with modified Xmember, rack, tie rods, rushings, hoses, and pump/lines. It looks like the cost will be around $1,300 but I am working on getting that down. Its expensive but worth it, Any interest?

• 2 weeks later...

I am working hard on the Z to get it ready for the MSA show in a few weeks. Problem is I have a few months worth of work to cram in during that time.

Looking for all the dozens of nuts and bolts for the door window regulators and locks still took forever, then adjusting all of it was time consuming too. Finished up the rest of the interior except the heater control panel, which I hate doing because those cables are a PITA too.

Found some expensive new hatch hinge boots on line, but compared to the 40 year old OEM ones they are worth it.

728d0d73.jpg

Installed the new euro tail lights.

3a74b396.jpg

Finished the dual underseat stereo amp and fat mat sound dead material too. Also the new three point MSA seat belts are in.

2a92f0a2.jpg

All of my wheel bearing and new studs are pressed in and suspension parts are ready to install..

I got my fuel tank back from the body shop. They fixed all the dents and bonded the new sump to look like it came that why from the factory. Next week I will tackle the plumbing.

1cc96ec9.jpg

My engine is still not assembled either, but thats on the short list for next week also.

All the measurements are finished for the new steering rack, need to finish up a few welds and over for a quick powder coating.

I want to thank my good friends Juan and Jose at R Rated Motorsports for helping me move this project along. These guys have forgot more then I will ever know. For anyone in the Ontario Ca area looking for top shelf work I highly recommend these guys. From oil changes and brakes to race engines and custom fabrication on any make a model they are the best. www.rratedmotorsports.com . They built my 620 truck engine and squeezed 350 HP out of a KA24DET. See my other post for details on that one.

I will get some more photos of next weeks progress up soon.