411 repower?

Hey guys, iv had my pride and joy `68 411 for about 6 years, so far she's been forced to the ground, stipt down and redressed in a corvette smoke grey metallic, had a custom dash and parcel tray with hidden 6x9's in dash and 6-1/2's in rear, replaced front bench seat with matching style recliners, re coloured rooflining and pillars and a healthy dose of chrome polishing and replacing (including every visible screw).

My question to you is, how do i encourage her to go faster and stop quicker without cutting her to pieces and keeping her off the road for too much longer?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How do i encourage her to go faster and stop quicker without cutting her to pieces and keeping her off the road for too much longer?

Well, with enough time and money, you can make almost anything fit. :D

Seriously, this generated a long thread on EarlyDatsunClub last year. You're limited by the less than generous available space. Options would be:

NO MODS NECESSARY

Rebuild the J13

Replace with J15

SHOULD WORK

H20

R16

U20

A-series

L-series

DON"T KNOW, BUT WOULD BE INTERESTING

CA

KA

VG

As for better brakes, your only mostly bolt-on option is front discs from a RL411. Anything else will be uncharted territory.

thanx buddy, iv thrown a fair bit of money at her already but mainly on buying supplies for things i can do myself, the engine work not being one of those things, yet.

at the moment im in the process of getting the j13 back to working condition, but for a complete rebuild iv heard there nt worth the effort for the power increases, as for the j15, they use them in forklifts over here.

A series vs L series,

has anyone done one of these conversions into a 411 and which one would be the best option? and what do i need to look out for?

If you could get a metric [serial number starting with 4] R 1600 5 main bearing roadster engine and modify the waterpump [or get a RL411 water pump] crankshaft pulley and relocate the alternator to fit the engine compartment length, you could get the Nissan stroker upgrade to 2 liters. This is a partnumber 12200-E0700 R16 Stroker Crank and 4 part number 12100-25500 U20 Connecting Rods. If you want to go for broke [not literally I hope] add 4 part number 99996-C1031 U20 .040 pistons and 99996-B1041 U20 .040 Ring set. A 2 liter in a 1968 411 would be awesome!

if only i could find an r1600, i don't think any cars with this engine were imported into N.Z, none that i can find anyway. i think i'm going to try keep her (semi) original and stay with the j13, for a while atleast. does anyone have any modification tips for this engine? have they been worked before?

if only i could find an r1600, i don't think any cars with this engine were imported into N.Z, none that i can find anyway. i think i'm going to try keep her (semi) original and stay with the j13, for a while atleast. does anyone have any modification tips for this engine? have they been worked before?

Have you tried any forklift supply sites? The R1600 was used in forklifts around the world.

The J engines look really similiar to the A series... What you you were to put an A14, or A15 in it?

funny u should say that, i actually bought an a15 for it a while ago but didn't have the experience or guts to chop up my cross member to make it fit so i sold it to buy other parts.

funny u should say that, i actually bought an a15 for it a while ago but didn't have the experience or guts to chop up my cross member to make it fit so i sold it to buy other parts.

Why not just build a custom pan? that way you could leave the crossmember stock.

The R16 (roadster, RL411) and H20 (forklift, ute) share basically the same block. Difference is that the forklift H20 head doesn't flow shit, nor does it need to.

As for the stroker crank, those are NLA.

Yes, an L-series will fit. I have an L20b in my 411 wagon that was done by a PO who cut-off the J motor mounts and welded in half-asses home-made L motor mounts plus sawzalled the front cross member to clear the L motor oil pan.

Both the A and L would allow you to bolt up a 5-speed if ya wanted.

I revised the list I posted earlier:

Options would be:

NO MODS NECESSARY

Rebuild the J13

Replace with J15

WILL WORK

L-series

R16

SHOULD WORK

A-series

H20

U20

DON"T KNOW, BUT WOULD BE INTERESTING

CA (Rumor has it there's a guy with one in B.C.)

KA

VG

got all the parts i need to get the j13 back up and running,(not fast but running) so i'm gonna drop that back in and get her back on the road and legal, while that's happening i think i'll invest in an another a15 or l series and box, have it rebuilt and modified to fit then take the poor girl back off the road again to put it in. question now is do i go with a series or l series? which would be eisier/best?

No clue on what would be easier... Personally I would go with an L18. J15's are pretty hard to find; around here anyway... I've never actually compared the A, J, and L mounts/mounting points so I have no clue which would be best for you. If you were closer, I have an A14 I would give you.

He's in New Zealand, so I'd say go with what you can source locally. I bet even stuff shipped from Oz ain't cheap.

Where you at? I got to visit in '79, mainly the Christchurch area. Would love to come back and bicycle both islands.

it's alive!!!!!

got the j13 back in and running again.

can get hold of a15 and l18 engines and parts prty easy over here, probably gonna go with the a15 i think, was talking to a guy the other day, said worked a12 was the way to go? not so sure about that, but i'v been wrong about these things before.

main question is what kinda power comparisons can be made between the a and l series, torq vs rpm, reliability, strength etc....

either way theres a few mods to be made to the sump/cross member, and what gearboxes would i be looking for will the j box fit any?

Did some searching and came up with basic numbers:

DISCLAIMER: I'm sure there's a way to format this to make it easier to read, but I'll be damned if I know how. If anyone can tell me how, I'd appreciate it.

Engine Displacement HP@RPM Torque@RPM Notes

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

A14 1400cc 80@6000 83@3600 HP can range from 50-85

A15 1500cc 80@5200 80@3200 Stroke increased 5mm over A14

L16 1600cc 97@6000 95@4000

L18 1800cc 97@6000 97@3800

L20b 2000cc 105@6000 108@3600

From my reading, the A will be lighter and cheaper than an L. It's also pushrod vs the L's OHC.

Might be easier to find an A with a 5-speed tranny than an L.

your a bloody legend, i've decided upon the a15, i think, haha, which burns because ive just recently sold the one i had, (for a hefty profit so no real harm done) next step is what kind of mods should be made to increase the power but keep reliable and drivable. cam grind, carbs, exhaust, head work, balancing, i don't want to get too carried away, im not made of money.

Guest jaimesix
your a bloody legend, i've decided upon the a15, i think, haha, which burns because ive just recently sold the one i had, (for a hefty profit so no real harm done) next step is what kind of mods should be made to increase the power but keep reliable and drivable. cam grind, carbs, exhaust, head work, balancing, i don't want to get too carried away, im not made of money.

Down under in AU or OZ you might be able to get nice performance A15 engines. The A series is a great motor ( my former B210 had one...nice! ) and since many Datsun 1200 guys in AU / OZ are swapping engines, nice A series are up for grabs.

Jaime.________________________________________________________