Hey guys; new member here!

First off let me introduce myself. My name is Dylan and I am located in Southern California (Orange County Specifically). I just want to say I'm in love with Datsuns; specially the 510s and 1200's. And this is coming from a Honda guy :P I just love the way classic cars look. My car that I have currently is a Honda s2000.

So here's my question. Does anyone live in SoCal who has a 510 or 1200? Right now I'm currently looking for a daily driver on either of those but I would like some of my questions answered and IF possible a ride along. I would like to see how the car feels inside and the potential it has. My main concern is the reliability of the car and the condition of it. To show some experience; I have done motorswaps before (On a Honda) but I'm a quick learner :) Lunch is on me if you can help me.

DSC_0206.jpg

- Thats me on the corkscrew at Laguna Seca. (My thread seemed empty so I added a picture :D)

I apologize if my thread is in the wrong forum.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

welcome aboard! an s2000 huh??? hows that thing handle? i like the s2000's style wise.

I just love the way it handles on and off the track. Since my car is an 2006, there is noticeable under steer which the older models lack. The newer ones got an upgraded rear subframe and relocation of the uppercontrol arms. That which helps the snap over steer the 1999-2003 models carry.

I'm a fan of mopars too ;) :D

ahh really??? i love my ass a mopar! thats why i have 6 of em right now. i am looking to sell one of my trucks though. even though i might be trading my ram for a pathfinder. who knows. i think you would like my classics though. they are all V8s the 3 older ones anyway. they are in this thread.

http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?t=3706

the 68 is a 4bbl 273, the 72 is a 318 2bbl, and the PW is a 360 full timer. so yeah. i like my mopars as well.

thanks! its no where near road worthy but it'll be back soon enough. my wife blew the rear diff a few years ago and i havent had the ambition to get her going again. 14s are screwed, interior is not the best and the idiot i got it off of was supposed to leave the AC system in it. instead it got CUT out. so yeah. its not the best but its a beast otherwise. she needs lots of work to be "perfect" but she'll never be "perfect". shes gonna be a sleeper from hell. beat to all hell and faster than a stang.

welcome aboard! an s2000 huh??? hows that thing handle? i like the s2000's style wise.

Funny story. When my wife and me were closing on her TSX, the sales guy asked if there was anything else he could've done to sweeten the deal. I tell him that I wished they had a S2000 there so I could test drive it. Dood straight up tells me, "well, i get a lot of people that say the wind noise is too loud and the ride is too stiff." HAahahahahahaha!!!

1. ITS A FREAKIN SOFT TOP!!!!!!

2. ....too stiff a ride? WTF? GTFO! LOL! ROFLMFAO!

-Brian

Oh, welcome Doaner. Don't let these guys give you shit about your Honda. Just look at what's in my garage! :)

as far as old Datsuns being reliable... the thing is you just need to be under the hood doing a quick inspection every weekend. Stay on top of maintenance. If something breaks, buy a brand new part if at all possible. (instead of cheaping out and buying used)

for the most part, the L-series engines are extremely reliable. Its the other wear parts that go out more often. Carbs, alternators, radiators, batterys. Some people are constantly replacing them with other used parts.... so in the long run they have quite a bit more trouble. If you want this as a reliable daily driver then you should plan to put some money into it. And also buy a nice one originally. The 1200 has a different engine but it is a long lasting one too.

as far as old Datsuns being reliable... the thing is you just need to be under the hood doing a quick inspection every weekend. Stay on top of maintenance. If something breaks, buy a brand new part if at all possible. (instead of cheaping out and buying used)

for the most part, the L-series engines are extremely reliable. Its the other wear parts that go out more often. Carbs, alternators, radiators, batterys. Some people are constantly replacing them with other used parts.... so in the long run they have quite a bit more trouble. If you want this as a reliable daily driver then you should plan to put some money into it. And also buy a nice one originally. The 1200 has a different engine but it is a long lasting one too.

Thanks for the advice! For the most part; I'm mainly looking for L-series engine. I don't want any hack job SR20 swaps thats half done. I have the necessary funds to get the ball rolling but finding a good one might take me awhile :mellow:

Nice to have you here. I think Bleach summed up reliability with his post, although I've never had an L-Series myself, and I haven't had my truck for too long. As for potential... it pretty much seems that the sky's the limit for 510's. Look through some of the project threads and you'll get an idea for what can be done with them. I don't know my Datsun history, but IIRC there were more than a few races won in 510's back in the day.

IIRC there were more than a few races won in 510's back in the day
They won a lot of races for years. The 1200s dominated SCCA rallying up into the 90s.

Last week I rode in an S2000 ... he revved it up a bit, to 7500 rpm (a long ways from the 9k redline). It really had an agressive, though relatively quiet, sound. He said the power comes on starting about 5000 rpm...it was a nice car inside, I noticed a lateral chassis rib in front of the seat under my legs, so it probably has a very stiff chassis (good).

My Datsun 1200 hasn't been over 6000 rpm...but the engine is more than 35 years old and doesn't burn any oil :-)

:lol: thats why s2000's are known to be the torqueless wonder

welcome to the forum!(I'm new also)

my buddy has a blue 06 S2000 and he's kinda wanting a datsun as well!

I used to have an old 80's prelude and loved it.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

theres probably more than 100 of us...

there may be a guy in whittier with a 1200 still for sale...

:lol: Your probably right. But I don't see too many around. I saw that one from whittier.. I'm leaning towards a 4door 510 now. Unless I can find a clean 2door.

Finalizing a few things before the actual search begins :)