Duncan

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 6/17/2020 at 4:43 PM, Duncan said:

I'm also going to do SOMeTHING with the exhaust manifold.  That piece is butt fugly. so it's a nice time get around to all of that.  

FWIW, our mutual friend has a really good technique for those, and it works great if you've seen the exhaust manifold in the blue car. 

19 hours ago, slowlearner said:

Please tell me the head is getting ported and a bigger cam at the same time. Remember Newton's 5th rule. 🤓

Repairs = Upgrades 😄

It's going to the machine shop tomorrow.  Cost is a factor, as is reliability.  I don't want to put much money into making a L20 a bit faster.  If I want faster, I'd be looking at possibly a KA or an SR swap.  If the cost is reasonable, I might do it, though.  Don't want to rule anything out.

Edited by Duncan
  • Like 1
18 minutes ago, datsunfreak said:

FWIW, our mutual friend has a really good technique for those, and it works great if you've seen the exhaust manifold in the blue car. 

I think the last time I saw the great Mystery Man was when you two came to the shop down in San Diego.  Last time I saw his car was the year it was at the JNC booth for JCCS.  The hood was down on it, and I probably wouldn't have noticed the exhaust manifold on it if it was open...

My old computer went belly up with no warning a few weeks ago.  I lost all my email contacts 😞  I might have his phone number, though.  I'm curious to hear what he did.  I can do a makeshift oven down at the shop in San Diego if I need to bake or sure a finish on it.  Trust me, there's nothing I can do to make it look worse at this point!  It's THAT bad..

9 minutes ago, Duncan said:

I probably wouldn't have noticed the exhaust manifold on it if it was open...

I'm curious to hear what he did.  I can do a makeshift oven down at the shop in San Diego if I need to bake or sure a finish on it.  

I sent him a text and he said he used this. And it looks killer, even several years later. 

Edited by datsunfreak
6 minutes ago, datsunfreak said:

I sent him a text and he said he used this. And it looks killer, even several years later. 

Thanks DF. I looked and I have his number in my phone.  The only problem is that I'm working on a Datsun and not a Corvette, so I don't think that will work on my manifold.  🙂

I just ordered some.  I was planning on glass beading the manifold, and I love the fact that this stuff doesn't require any pre-heating on baking.

Thanks!

Edited by Duncan
6 minutes ago, Duncan said:

I just ordered some.  I was planning on glass beading the manifold, and I love the fact that this stuff doesn't require any pre-heating on baking.

It is super easy to use. They say you don't "need" to blast it, but go ahead and do that. You'll be glad you did.  👍

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Duncan said:

Thanks DF. I looked and I have his number in my phone.  The only problem is that I'm working on a Datsun and not a Corvette, so I don't think that will work on my manifold.  🙂

Thanks!

The Calyx dressing is a graphite paste from what I can find out. Let us know how it works out after a few heat cycles. It should give similar results to the graphite spray dry lube I am using.

• Like 1

Mr Big recommended a machine shop, and as soon as I pulled in, I knew it was the place.  Getting a valve job, new springs, etc, etc.  I asked about shims and such, and the guy explained it to me in detail.  I was impressed.

Got the old gasket off the block, scraped it all with a razor blade in one hand, and the shop vac hose in the other.  Wrapped some 120 grit sandpaper around a small block, and started making the block shiny.  Worked about 2 hours and my back said "Whoa Dude! If you want to work on this tomorrow, you better stop!!"

blok.jpg 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Also, a 1939 Chevy Coupe appeared on CL this morning.  The listing said it had been up about an hour.  No number in the ad, so I emailed.  I explained to him I was older, looking to buy NOW, and wanted to come see it.   Gave him my email and phone.  Told him I was text-friendly as well. It's about 2:15pm here, and not a peep from this seller.

Nada, nothing, zip..  My typical CL experience...

Edited by Duncan
  • Haha 2
8 hours ago, Lockleaf said:

Sounds about right for CL.  Glad the machine shop seems good though.

Nothing all day from the seller.  The car looked great for the price.  I suspect he may have been blasted with inquiries and pulled the ad.  It might re-appear at a higher price at a later date.  I've seen that happen a few times...

Ugly-ass manifold.  I called around and sandblasters in the area want $100-ish to sandblast, and around $140-ish to glass bead it.

I can wire wheel it nicely in about an hour, so I'm doing this job myself.  I'm going to wait until the coating comes in.  As soon as I clean the manifold, I can coat it right away to avoid contaminates and possible surface rust.  That thing is butt ugly.  I should have done something about it before I put the engine back in the car.

mani.jpg   

47 minutes ago, datsunfreak said:

At least it's not the one with the EGR ports in it...   😃

I hear ya.  One port has been welded up on it and I never noticed it until today..

And call me Little Mr Big with this bad boy...

inmani.jpg

I'm going to polish up a piece of aluminum and see if I can use some clear urethane on it.  I think with some clear (if it sticks) it'll be easier to keep looking this way.  Hopefully, anyway..

Also, going to look at the '39 coupe tomorrow at the original price.

Edited by Duncan
  • Like 3
13 hours ago, Duncan said:

I'm going to polish up a piece of aluminum and see if I can use some clear urethane on it.  I think with some clear (if it sticks) it'll be easier to keep looking this way.  Hopefully, anyway..

It will stick, if you get ALL of the polish off of it. But after a few heat cycles, I am 99% sure it's gonna turn yellow...

I would suggest just sand it smooth and get it ceramic coated?

634-5473-129160.jpg

• Like 2
On 6/23/2020 at 10:16 AM, Duncan said:

Ugly-ass manifold.  I called around and sandblasters in the area want $100-ish to sandblast, and around $140-ish to glass bead it.

I can wire wheel it nicely in about an hour, so I'm doing this job myself.  I'm going to wait until the coating comes in.  As soon as I clean the manifold, I can coat it right away to avoid contaminates and possible surface rust.  That thing is butt ugly.  I should have done something about it before I put the engine back in the car.

mani.jpg   

I can do that for free for you. Just need to get to me.

20 hours ago, Duncan said:

I hear ya.  One port has been welded up on it and I never noticed it until today..

And call me Little Mr Big with this bad boy...

inmani.jpg

Also, going to look at the '39 coupe tomorrow at the original price.

Love the polish. And I would not spray any clear won't be worth it in the long run. It will yellow then peel or both at same time.

2 hours ago, mrbigtanker said:

I can do that for free for you. Just need to get to me.

The small wire wheels work great.  By the time I drive to your place and back, it'll be done..

2 hours ago, mrbigtanker said:

Love the polish. And I would not spray any clear won't be worth it in the long run. It will yellow then peel or both at same time.

I'm gonna hit a powder coat place and see what they think of using clear powder coat on it.  I like the ceramic coating, but I know it's pretty spendy as I recall.

7 hours ago, Duncan said:

The small wire wheels work great.  By the time I drive to your place and back, it'll be done..

I'm gonna hit a powder coat place and see what they think of using clear powder coat on it.  I like the ceramic coating, but I know it's pretty spendy as I recall.

Ceramic coat is about 100.00 for a manifold. and I could of met you and got it for you.

10 hours ago, mrbigtanker said:

Ceramic coat is about 100.00 for a manifold. and I could of met you and got it for you.

If Datsun Freak and my friend used and liked this graphite coating for his exhaust manifold, I'm sure it's going to be just fine. He's very particular about his stuff.  If I don't like it, I can look at an alternate plan. And you know, I'm not afraid to rip shit apart and redo things I don't like.  The coating arrived yesterday, so I'm getting to the exhaust manifold today.

The head is supposed to be done tomorrow, and I'm anxious to get it back together.

I appreciate it, and thanks you big sexy beast..

Edited by Duncan
  • Haha 1

Holy shit!

Cost was a total of $17 for the Calyx and about 45 minutes of work.

exman.jpg

exmani1.jpg

I'm letting the graphite coating dry a bit, then I'll flip it over and do the backside either late this afternoon or tomorrow.

I was dancing like Kevin Bacon during the last scene of "Footloose"....

Edited by Duncan
  • Like 2