Duncan's 71 "Oz" Goon

Duncan

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Spent that last week fixing this fender.  Got the paint bubble gone and repainted it.

Got is sanded yesterday.

cols1.jpg

Polished it all out today.

cols2.jpg

Looking forward to showing it at the local Concourse show on June 2nd. 

Unfortunately, I can't make it to JCCS this year.  My niece decided to get married, and she picked the day of JCCS to do it.  (Just my luck)  I may send my friend with the car to the show, but we'll see what happens.  It might be there, but I won't.  😞

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

It is very unusual for me to wash a hobby car, but the wagon got it's first bath today. 

IMG-1615.jpg

I was expecting the door seals and windows to leak a bit, but other than one door, it really didn't leak.  Even the leaky one was very slight.

Also, pulled it in and hit the roof and hood with the clay bar, then glaze, then some new high-zoot spray wax.  The sides of the car are fine, but contaminates fall onto the roof and hood, and they needed a little more help.  They have that "just painted" feel again 🙂

IMG-1624.jpg

IMG-1622.jpg

I also mounted the passenger side sun visor up.  I was surprised (and relieved) that there were no stripped threads on any of the mounting holes.  I was expecting it to be the usual snafu from the PO.

Since the console is not going in, I ordered a not-too-expensive Lokar shift boot.  I was surprised at how much quieter the car is with the boot on.  The carpet and insulation is right up tight to the shifter, but the boot makes it much quieter. 

IMG-1618.jpg

I'm thinking I might get a black mounting ring and swap out for the chrome one.  We'll see..

Anyway, I'm going to polish and detail the whole car this week in prep for the concours show on Sunday.  I haven't had a car to show in a really long time, and I think it'll be a lot of fun..  I'll try to snap some photos of the interesting cars at the show..

Edited by Duncan
  • Like 3

Put this badge on today.  Other than deciding on what to do with the motor, this project is finally winding down.  I think I've been holding this badge now for about 6 years or so.  I bought it before I started on the wagon refurb..

wagbadge.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, BrothersGarage said:

AND STARTING A NEW PROJECT!

I saw what you did there :)

I don't have another major project like this left in me.  I'm looking for something that needs paint or some minor repairs that I can drive and fix at the same time.  That's the plan, anyway....

• Like 2
22 hours ago, hobospyder said:

Which one he has 5

I know he has a bunch, but he was doing body work on one, and had a few panels primered and looking like they were ready to go.

Then he decided to try to one-up Mr Big by a couple of cars....

• Like 1

Did the first show today with the wagon.  It was a concours show, so I entered as a non-judged vehicle.  Turns out there were 5 really nice Z's who have their own category, and I was the only car in the Japanese class.  I would have won my own category, but it's cool.  I don't much care about trophies or plaques really..

The guy next to me was super cool, and he had a Fairlady Z he bought in Japan in the late 70's while he was in the Navy.  He did his own body and paint, and it was great talking shop with him. He did some really nice work on it. 

Funny, as all the older guys were flocking around the Z's, and the younger guys were interested in the wagon.  One older lady asked me if I changed the steering over to the other side for any particular reason.  🙂

It was a lot of fun, and I got a lot of comments on how much people liked the color.  That was nice..

show.jpg

Edited by Duncan
  • Like 2
On 5/17/2019 at 3:01 PM, Duncan said:

Spent that last week fixing this fender.  Got the paint bubble gone and repainted it.

Got is sanded yesterday.

cols1.jpg

Polished it all out today.

cols2.jpg

Looking forward to showing it at the local Concourse show on June 2nd. 

Unfortunately, I can't make it to JCCS this year.  😞

Mine should😲 be ready for it.

Can't wait to see this!

• Like 1
On 6/3/2019 at 11:21 AM, hang_510 said:

Can't wait to see this!

Thanks.  It will probably be at another show other than JCCS, though. 

I'm walking one of my nieces down the aisle at her wedding, which is the same day of JCCS.  

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I finally got pissed and took the dash apart to see WTF what going on with my headlights not working.  I thought it was the headlight relay, but was wrong. 

I mentioned this before, but I got a scanned PDF file of the schematic for the Aussie wagon from my 510 friend in Australia.  Kinko's blew it up, printed it, and laminated it for about $3.00-ish.  It's really handy for my old eyes, and I can wipe it off after handling it with dirty hands..

IMG-1650.jpg

I actually bought a later Nissan relay and wired that up to be a plug and play, but still a no-go on the headlights. 

After quite a bit of studying the schematic and chasing down connections, I found my dead G/W wire that is supposed to provide power to the headlight switch.   Turns out the old ass connectors were mostly worn out, and the metal tab that holds the wire in the connector had slipped.  The wire just wasn't making contact at the fuse box. 

fusebox.jpg 

I got a little creative and got the tab to hold (for now) but I really need to change these connectors out.  I have the right connectors and tabs, but I need a different wire crimper.  I can install them, but my friend in San Diego has a great tool for these, and I need to locate one for myself.

My harness was really roached when I got the car, but I keep fixing this one.  I'm getting tired of it...

Since I had the dash mostly apart, I decided to paint the bezel on my new-to-me key assembly.

key1.jpg

Couldn't figure out how to get the bezel off, so it was quite a masking job.  I think it came out nice, though. 

key2.jpg

I'll pull the tape off tomorrow and assembly the dash again..ugh...

I'm just happy to have the headlights working again.

Edited by Duncan
  • 1 month later...

Found this photo online that was taken at the HB Concours show.  Thought it was a pretty cool photo and there's some random handsome dude that got into the pic somehow...

show.jpg  

My b210 brake booster took a dive this week.  I found a couple of rebuilders, but my back is junk at the moment, and I can't work on the car presently. 

It's great getting old :)

Edited by Duncan
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, Duncan said:

Found this photo online that was taken at the HB Concours show.  Thought it was a pretty cool photo and there's some random handsome dude that got into the pic somehow...

show.jpg  

My b210 brake booster took a dive this week.  I found a couple of rebuilders, but my back is junk at the moment, and I can't work on the car presently. 

It's great getting old 🙂

Easily 1 of the best Aussie wagons I have seen and it's not even in Australia.😁😁

3 hours ago, blairis said:

Easily 1 of the best Aussie wagons I have seen and it's not even in Australia.😁😁

Thanks Blaris.  There is a grey wagon is Australia that is one of the best ever.  It's super low, has Work Meister wheels, and sports a completely custom red leather interior.  I think the license plate is SO SLOW or something similar. 

I'll see if I can find a pic of it.  It is really one of the best wagons I've seen..

Found the article. 

http://www.superstreetonline.com/features/1707-1971-datsun-1600-wagon-510-slow-and-low/

Edited by Duncan