Duncan's 71 "Oz" Goon

Duncan

We should open a Datsun auto body shop together, not the fly by night stuff some shops do. Most Datsun guys don't want to pay 10k for paint and auto body.

At the first body shop I worked, we painted a 510 wagon, the owner reminded me everyday it's a 510, hurry up.

That's how I meet the shop owner I sold him the parts for the wagon

We could do that, but we wouldn't have any Datsun work :)

There's a place in Long Beach called Pan's Coach Works (I don't know if it's still there) and he wouldn't quote a price until he completely stripped the car down to bare metal. I used to drive by there on my way to work and he always had old Caddies, Mercedes, and exotic cars in various states of being painted. I met a guy at a Cadillac show that had a 30's V-12 Caddie painted there, and it was immaculate. That shop does the nicest work I've ever seen. I can only imagine what that guy paid to have his Caddie done there...

BTW, just the paint, hardener and reducer for my car is going to run about $1200 alone.

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I thought this photo didn't come out. My camera stashed it in another folder on my memory card..

The forward section of the dogleg. Normally, this seam is exposed, but we tack welded it in the seam so I decided to fill it.

It's a small seam, so I actually used a soldering iron, some flux, and some 60/40 1/8" acid core solder. It's nearly the same composition as the lead bars, only smaller. Worked like a champ and has the same properties as the larger stuff.

dl2.JPG

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Come on Fucker!! We need some updates. I know you were down there this weekend..

I'll be there this Fri and Sat. I'll take my camera and send up some pics on Sunday. Been working on the replacement dogleg area and still don't have it done. (I'm close, though) I should have that area all done in shiny lead, and I'll take some photos prior to putting primer on it. Fucker!

San Diego is 100 miles each way from me, so I only have so much time per week to make it down there. I was hoping to have the quarters done sooner, but you know how that goes...

Movin' on..

The dogleg replacement section is (finally) DONE! Shit, with the rust repairs to the replacement piece and fitting this bad boy, it was a butt load of work, but it's finally in and looking nice. Here it is in the second coat of high build primer and (mostly) blocked out. No bondo used at all.

dog1.JPG

With the front section done, I moved onto the other repairs done to the quarter. There was a small repair at the back of the wheel arch, and we also fabbed a patch on the lower rear section. Welds were ground down and these two areas were leaded in.

dog2.JPG

dog3.JPG

The two spots after filing are now ready for high build primer.

dog4.JPG

dog5.JPG

The lower section of this quarter got a coat of primer and I was done for the day. I will block the front and rear sections next week and rinse and repeat.

My updates will be less frequent from now on and only when I get larger sections done. I think that if I show every step and every repair, this thread will get a bit tiresome. Anyway, I will update as things get done.

• 2 weeks later...

Quarter panel done and blocked out:

qpfin.JPG

Replaced dogleg section done:

dlfin1.JPG

I had bondo on the forward rocker panel repairs I did (pics on page 1) but since I'm going all metal finish, I ground it out and currently filling them with lead.

I'm not 100% sure if I can metal finish the entire car, but I'm gonna give it my best shot!

• 1 month later...

It's been a while for any updates.  Progress is going on, but I've got a little g-job for someone I'm doing, and I backtracked a bit on an earlier repair.

rock1.JPG

I've yanked the doors on the driver's side and stripped the door jambs.  I also ground out the bondo I used on the front part of the rocker panel and re-did both repair areas with lead.  I also welded up the remaining trim holes on the rocker panel since I'm not going to use them.

If you look above my left hand, the lower A-pillar is cut away as is the area just below the cowl drain hose.  While stripping the inside of the rocker panel we found more rust than was expected. (as per usual)  I don't have good pics, but we cut away a large section of the inside rocker and cut away the lower A pillar section for easier access. We are going to weld that piece back on after the repairs. 

My friend made a ridiculously nice repair panel (the guy is quite talented) and I will have my camera this weekend to get better pics of the repair.  The inside of the rocker is super-clean. and the rust will never be an issue there again.     

rfloor.JPG

I never, ever know what I am going to run into on this car!  This is the rear seat area, and there is a factory drain hole that actually had an iron-on denim patch on it!  It was stuck quite well, actually.  I've never seen denim used to repair metal, but maybe someone is onto something here....

rfloor1.JPG

I finished stripping the factory insulation off the driver's floor and rear passenger floor.  I just took a shot of it while taking a break from the chisel and hammer work.  That stuff is quite a party!  I'm going to do most of the interior surfaces with lizard skin.

I'll have a lot more photos next week. 

Happy Holidays! 

• 2 weeks later...
Dont let this Fucker call you a Fucker.lol Glad to see progress on the goon hope it comes out better then John's [fucker] goon.lol

We call each other fucker, and it's really okay.  My real inspiration is my goon whooping his goon at a car show :)  Actually, John's wagon is very nice, and I hope mine will be as nice as his Radio Flyer....

We call each other fucker, and it's really okay.  My real inspiration is my goon whooping his goon at a car show :)  Actually, John's wagon is very nice, and I hope mine will be as nice as his Radio Flyer....

I know from your dilligent work your wagon will end up being the best wagon around, no worries about F'rs !

• 2 weeks later...

Sometimes, I have to re-learn old lessons.  After screwing around with the front of the rocker panel for WAY too long, I came to the realization that I had too much lead filler in it.  I broke out the Sawzall and cut the entire repair out. 

for1.JPG

My friend has a very nice metal shear and brake, so we bent up a replacement panel.  We spent quite a bit of time on it so the angles and radius of the bends match the original.  It really came out nice, IMHO.  We also saved our measurements and made a template so when we get to the other side, a duplicate can be made.

for.JPG

Instead of butt welding it, we made little 1/4" tabs to slide into the existing rocker panel and screwed the pieces together for a nice tight seam. Once it is fitted and bolted down, we will seam weld it and then come back and weld up all the holes. 

for2.JPG

for3.JPG

I'm spending a shitload of time on this, but I want the damn thing right...

Datrod was correct.  I guess I am anal about stuff like this :)

Dont let this Fucker call you a Fucker.lol Glad to see progress on the goon hope it comes out better then John's [fucker] goon.lol

Did you notice Mark is doin all the work himself.  Not breakin out his wallet. Hint,Hint

And I will be holding a BBQ when Mark's goon is done. We will be using my wagon for the fire. :rofl:

Oh yeah Mark the Auzzie is lookin really good...

Why are you padding it with nice comments. I know your goon will be kick ass. But you know how it is Fucker.

It's not who ya know it's who ya blow. At most car shows...

It's not who ya know it's who ya blow. At most car shows...

That's funny!  Nelson and I had a good laugh about the show we all recently attended.  The best old school car was a '92 Nissan Sentra :)

No worries fucker.  It'll be a while before we light up the Red Wagon...It seems like the more I do on the goon, the more I need to do...

• 1 month later...

Well okay then..

Driver's side done. (except doors)  So other than work on the doors, what do you do?

leftside.JPG

Turn car around,

lftnodrs.JPG

remove doors,

lwrqrtr.JPG

qpseam.JPG

start making repairs.  Lather, rinse repeat on this side..

• Like 1

Great work on the resto and good to see it's getting fixed the right way.

I feel ripped of when I buy a car to find it's got bog(what we call bondo) in it, especially after asking and being told it has virtually none what so ever.

Keep up the good work and can't wait to see the finished product.