• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Bump. What ya got????

I have lots of new shiny stuff.  Mostly hot-tanking and painting stuff this weekend.  I'll snap some photos when I'm there.

BTW: I did score some rollers for the goon.  Thanks Dreadni!  I'm bringing the hotwire mesh rims home this weekend and offering them for sale soon..

I have lots of new shiny stuff.  Mostly hot-tanking and painting stuff this weekend.  I'll snap some photos when I'm there.

BTW: I did score some rollers for the goon.  Thanks Dreadni!  I'm bringing the hotwire mesh rims home this weekend and offering them for sale soon..

Why would you want to sell the only rims you have for the car???? :fu:

• Like 1

More non-glamouous (but necessary) work..

8wuq.jpg

Got some 15" swazi rollers.  Thanks again to Dreadni.  He had 4 of these he loaned me.

ohh5.jpg

v965.jpg

Because it was *so* nasty under the car, I pulled the crossmember, and it took an entire week in the hot tank to get clean.  It was primed and painted

I removed the motor mount bolts, jacked the engine up about 1.5" then I put some square tubing across the fender rails and was able to support the engine with a chain off the tubing. Lowering it back down and getting the bolts lined up was a challenge, but it's all back in place and bolted in.

8d4m.jpg

I painted the strut mount area.  I would normally strip the engine bay and do the entire bay, but my friend is talking about moving and retiring, so I need to take shortcuts here and there just to get the car home as soon as I can.  When I go to paint the entire engine bay, I can mask the struts and will have to feather sand and blend the line where the paint stops.  More work for me, but I don't want to pull the suspension out again when the time comes for painting under the hood.   

The color in the photo does NOT look close to the real color.  It's one of those that doesn't photograph well.  For reference, the frame rail in the photo (with the fender mount bolts) is actually black :)

yyah.jpg

My 280zx struts with the DP Racing stuff.  These are going in next along with all new suspension and steering stuff.

• Like 1

Is it the factory Robin's Egg Blue or something from another vehicle?

It's an International Navistar big rig truck color.  It's an industrial blue/green that is darker compared to the photo.

Scion XB's had a color called hypnotic teal mica that is similar.  That color is also all over the map when looking at photos. 

• 3 weeks later...

Been a while for an update, but I have been busy.

k826.jpg

Some of my old parts.  A delicious mix of polyurethane and rubber bushings.  The PO even had one urethane bushing on one control arm, and a rubber bushing on the other one.  sweet..

qx8p.jpg

I've not done a Datsun suspension/steering rebuild before, so a bit of a learning curve.  Not too bad, though.  Yes, there are 3 nuts on the insert.  It was just a handy place to keep them so I don't lose them :)

12ra.jpg

I got these mounted today, too.  All that's left to do is put the tie rods together and install them.  I'm anxious to see how this thing drives after all this new stuff.

dszf.jpg

I'm also glad to be doing something besides body work!

Happy Presidents Day!

I bought all "Moog" for my car. Inside every box was 555 branded items, I was happy.

Nice!  I wish I knew that before.  I bought the 555 stuff from Datsport because I wanted as much Japanese-made stuff as possible.  The other Moog boxes all say Made in USA on them, but I'm a tad skeptical on that..

I have a complete urethane bushing kit, but scrapped the idea and went with rubber instead.  Chances are I will take the urethane kit to MoVal meet, and offer it up as a raffle prize.  I'm sure someone will be glad to get it.

I have been ignoring my heater for a while knowing that restoring the spray painted pieces on it were going to be troublesome.  I have a JDM "cold weather" heater in my wagon, and apparently it was only put in Aussie wagons and NOT the other Aussie 510 models..

You can see the spray painted gray pieces on it.  Not good..

xig8.jpg

I got on the internet and did a google search for "removing paint from plastic parts" and found this special stripper..

Holy shit, I tried a small piece and the paint falls off the part in seconds.  I sprayed it on, saw the paint bubble up immediately, then rinsed it off 10 seconds later!

xw8k.jpg

I sprayed part of it just to take a photo.  This stuff is awesome.  Didn't touch the part at all, and the paint came off immediately.  Granted, there didn't seem to be any prep before it was spray painted, but the shit was on there thick!

ogel.jpg

Total time was less than 5 minutes.  That includes stopping for a photo or two.

The stuff is made by Kleen-Strip and it's called Aircraft paint remover for plastic parts.  I got it at Kragen /O'Reilly auto parts, and it's on their website. 

I just can't believe how easy that paint came off.  Amazing stuff.

Here's a link: 

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/KLN3/EUP367/N0483.oap?ck=Search_paint+stripper_N0483_-1_-1&keyword=paint+stripper&pt=N0483&ppt=C0171

• Like 1