Duncan's 71 "Oz" Goon

Duncan

On 10/29/2018 at 11:27 PM, LTJ said:

Nice work!

Thanks for the props!  I actually stumbled into your Stanza thread the other day, and enjoyed what you're doing.   The rat-rod bikes are awesome! 

I don't know if I have another vehicle project left in me, and there is a large swap meet near my house and always a LOT of bicycles for sale on the cheap cheap there. 

I can weld and paint, so there might be some silly 2-wheeled in my future ?

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 11/1/2018 at 2:56 PM, Duncan said:

Thanks for the props!  I actually stumbled into your Stanza thread the other day, and enjoyed what you're doing.   The rat-rod bikes are awesome! 

I don't know if I have another vehicle project left in me, and there is a large swap meet near my house and always a LOT of bicycles for sale on the cheap cheap there. 

I can weld and paint, so there might be some silly 2-wheeled in my future ?

That would be awesome!

Check out www.ratrodbikes.com/forum if you like, I'm a moderator over there, currently running a muscle bike build-off!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

As per usual, I completely underestimated how big a job this turned out to be, but I finally got it done.  (I also had problems working on my knees and leaning into the car, because my back is absolutely junk these days.)

Anyway, took a test drive with all this insulation, and it does make a very noticable improvement.  The 4 rolls I used was about $200, so it didn't really bust the budget, and the car (especially the tunnel) is noticably cooler and quieter.

I still have to open up the floor drains and other holes for stuff like seat mounts, parking brake handle, etc, etc. but the insulation is mostly in and the real work is over..

flrfinn.jpg  

Still working on a list of some things I don't like or want to change, but it's on the agenda..

Edited by Duncan
  • Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Just so I can use them when I drive.....

.....Doing a quickie spruce of of my sun visors. When the car goes to the upholstery shop, I'll probably have them recovered in the extra headliner material that arrived with the ill-fitting headliner.

One visor cleaned using the SEM Soap compared with the one NOT cleaned :)

visorcln.jpg

The stuff works pretty well, yes?  :)

My question is for all you experts out there...  What color are these mounts supposed to be?  As usual, mine were spray painted gray so I stripped and primed them.  I can go satin black, matching blue paint, or a vintage white. (I do have some BRIGHT white as well, but wouldn't match the off white headliner and torsion bar cover).

visormnt.jpg

What is the factory color for these?    Since I am on a roll, here's the bonus question for 200 points...   Did these mount with a sheet metal screw or a threaded bolt?  

Thanks, as always, and Happy Thanksgiving!

The headliner, the visors, and the little holders for the visor tips are all white, and since I had this paint left over from the Sunny...

C134-DD9-A-5527-4836-AF70-D73-EA05-DFFDB

The cost was $.00 and about 20 minutes of labor. (Most of the time was spent cleaning my airbrush afterwards..)

I have a Pathfinder mirror in the wagon.  It was originally gray, so I used that super nice black abs plastic paint I have.  Despite all the white color, that mirror (and the matching base cover) look real good as a bit of contrast.

Edited by Duncan
  • Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been very unhappy when putting fuel into the wagon.  It sucked when it was stock, and it sucks just as bad with the aftermarket fuel door I put on it.

I'm putting an additional fuel filler recessed under the cargo floor.  It's going where the fuel gauge sender is now, and the sender is going forward where that raised circular section is.

I looked at other options for the filler neck placement, but with the odd shape of the tank, there wasn't a good alternative other than relocate the sender. 

tank1.jpg

I laid out a box that will recess 2" into the tank so the gas cap will be below the floor with a hinged access door.

Edited by Duncan
  • Like 1

I’m concerned with this.  A wagon interior is a big empty space where fuel vapor will naturally collect.  You need to not take any aspect of the separation from cabin to tank lightly.  I know this is a kinda over cautious sounding comment, but I do know what the dangers are.  A big space with stereo systems and switches all over is a really shit place to store gas vapor.  It sinks too, so those vents on the wagon hatch won’t help much.  Just seal it well, and if it smells gassy, don’t put the repair off.  

• Like 1

There's no stereo in my wagon.  The tank is still under the cargo floor. 

I remember Datrod had a locking gas cap on his wagon, but was missing the key.  I think he used to fill his up through the fuel gauge sender hole.  He did this for a long while with no problems.

I've also seen a couple of wagons on here with fuel cells and other tanks with fillers under the cargo floor. 

Lastly, the original filler and associated tubing will all still be left in place and still functional.  Nothing is getting deleted, just adding a second filler.  If it doesn't work well, I'll weld up the access door and go back to the "pain in the ass" filler only.

• Like 1
On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 12:30 AM, tr8er said:

I’m concerned with this.  A wagon interior is a big empty space where fuel vapor will naturally collect.  

For what it's worth, my 1200 coupe has a fuel cell in the trunk. Never had an issue with vapors. Honestly, just about every 510 I've ever owned had fuel vapor problems and that's a more substantial barrier between driver and tank than my 1200.

If your tank is sealed well, and vents to the outside of the car (as mine does), I wouldn't be too worried about it. Those vapors are going to take the path of least resistance, which should be your vent tube.

Edited by datsunfreak
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, datsunfreak said:

For what it's worth, my 1200 coupe has a fuel cell in the trunk. Never had an issue with vapors. Honestly, just about every 510 I've ever owned had fuel vapor problems and that's a more substantial barrier between driver and tank than my 1200.

If your tank is sealed well, and vents to the outside of the car (as mine does), I wouldn't be too worried about it. Those vapors are going to take the path of least resistance, which should be your vent tube.

This is true.  If it is vented to the outside effectively, I'd feel pretty good about it.  petrol vapors sink, so the path up into the cabin will be less likely.  

8 hours ago, datsunfreak said:

The fuel sending unit mount that I cut out is resting on the vent tube. (in the above photo) That will be directed to the atmosphere through the frame rail. (As provided by the factory)

I'm going to pressure test the tank as well to make sure the welds are good and solid. 

I think I have a way to pressure test the cap as well to be sure it's a non-vented cap.  The vendor I bought the fuel neck from says it is, but I'm still going to make sure it doesn't vent through the cap...

Edited by Duncan

Hey Mark. Off topic but one of the previous owners of your wagon from Auzzy land was asking about your wagon on facebook. I sent him the link to ratsun.

I'm sure he is gonna be surprised how badass your wagon is now.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, datrod said:

Hey Mark. Off topic but one of the previous owners of your wagon from Auzzy land was asking about your wagon on facebook. I sent him the link to ratsun.

I'm sure he is gonna be surprised how badass your wagon is now.

No problem, except a lot of the photos in the thread are broken. Thanks John ?

Edited by Duncan

Hi guys, especially Duncan.

I'm a mate of the previous owner of your wagon, I *think*. What I need to know is if we're talking about the same car! As you said, a lot of the early pics in this thread are broken.

Another friend and I arrived for a holiday in the big old USA in September 2010 and attended the Japanese Classic Car show at Long Beach, California. We didn't see the wagon there per say, but noticed it in traffic after we left.

I took a couple of pics and spoke to the owner at the traffic lights, (which, if it's the same car, was you!) and it totally blew our minds to see a RHD, SA-plated car amongst the traffic in the States.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/154758912@N07/shares/2vwp50

Let me know if this doesn't work; I set the pic to be public.

If this is the actual car, I will just confirm these are not vintage plates of the era, but a new sequence of plates that started in late 2009/early 2010 with the convention Sxxx-AAA (where x is a numerical digit). The original plates would have been either late RAA-xxx or early SAA-xxx.

Anyway, let us know! I only spoke to the previous owner the other day and he was saying how he'd never found any trace of his US-destined wagon ever again. Then suddenly *boom* there's nine years of restoration/modification history there, hiding in plain sight!  If the pic in the Flickr link ISN'T your car, then how many Aussie-delivered wagons are there floating around USA!?!!?

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1
4 hours ago, bellett64 said:

Hi guys, especially Duncan.

I took a couple of pics and spoke to the owner at the traffic lights, (which, if it's the same car, was you!) and it totally blew our minds to see a RHD, SA-plated car amongst the traffic in the States.

I remember us speaking quickly at a traffic light on Pac Coast Highway.   I hadn't had the car long because it still didn't have the Cal license plates on it yet. 

I remember you were pretty astonished to see the car and with the Aussie license plates still on it ?

It's come a long way since then.  It's not quite finished, and I'm still working out some things with the L20 motor in it.  Once I get things sorted, then I'll figure out if a rebuild or a swap is in the cards.

I bought it from a fellow named Stephen (maybe Steven) J.  Nice fellow, and he didn't own it terribly long.  It wasn't in the best of shape, but I didn't pay a lot of money for it, either.

As far as I know, I think it is the only RHD 1600 wagon in the states with a P510 serial number prefix.  (LHD models have a PL510 prefix) There is a member on here (The 510 Keeper) that has a RHD conversion wagon project that is totally custom.  It's going to be an air-bagged 2 door as well!  When his is done, we're planning on drinking a lot and get matching friendship tattoos.

Nice of you to post a note.  It is quite a small world!  

Cheers,

Mark 

BTW, I checked and there are photos in this thread on pages1-7 and they pick up again on page 47.  I lost two photo hosts over the course of this build, and I don't have the will to go back and try to sort it all out.   I might just post a load of photos in chronological order somewhere and put a link to them.

Edited by Duncan
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, disaster strikes again at my friend's shop.  The City is doing some water main replacement out in front of my friend's shop in San Diego.  The bonehead contractor didn't uncover the storm drains for the storm, and the shop was filled with 3 ft of water.  (No exaggeration) 

A bunch of cars got flooded (in the shop and on the street) and my friend is finally going after the City.  I'm sure there is an inclement weather clause in the contractor's contract, and they are required to carry insurance for this type of thing, so I think he'll make out okay.  It "is" a major pain in the ass, but I think he'll recover everyone's losses..

I also had a week's worth of health-related things and tests, so that was a bit of a holdup as well.  So far, I'm okay and no drama here.  One more test to go in January....

I did make it down today and got a bit of work done.  My inset box got folded up and fits the cut out in the tank pretty nicely.

t1.jpg

It's all tig welded up and tested for leaks/pinholes.  It holds fine.

t2.jpg

This will be flush welded and will have about a 2" recess into the tank.   It's going to reside where the fuel sender was, and the fuel sender is next up for relocation.  That requires no fab, so I'm hoping I can move it along.

Thankfully, the tig welder was submerged, but dried out just fine.  Today was the first time it was used since the flood. 

I'll be down there later this week to continue on with this little project.

Edited by Duncan
  • Like 3