Duncan's 71 "Oz" Goon

Duncan

It's hard to work very long with the heat and humidity, but I got the seat bottom done..

seatbtm.jpg

Didn't spend a lot of time prepping this like a painted surface that would be seen.  It looks fine, but there's some sanding scratches showing through the paint if you look closely.  It's the bottom of the seat.  'nuf said..

stback.jpg

Spending more time on the seat back.  I'll probably have this carpeted, but there will be paint exposed.  I'll have to make this nicer than the seat bottom.

Edited by Duncan
  • Like 2
  • Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You should be staring at the road, not the stinkin' center of your steering wheel. wink wink nudge nudge.

I agree, it looks the goods.

WTF did I do here? \/

• Like 1

I finally got the seat back painted today.  I did substantially more prep work on this than the seat bottom. Since this piece shows, it really needed to be nicer than the bottom piece.

sb2.jpg

sb1.jpg

It was supposed a chassis black, but it's a bit glossier than that, IMHO.  I don't plan or re-painting it, though..

Edited by Duncan
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

He gave me a good price, but to make enough money to make it worthwhile I don't think any would sell.  Plus, Tanker would want some in pink and leopard print...

'Cuz Ratsun and all..

I now gotta find a place to repair or (preferably) make me a new heater core.  I can't add carpet until I get the heater working correctly. 

I also have a spare set of wagon leaf springs that I pick up tomorrow.  I had them de-arc them just a bit, and also increase the spring rate a bit, too.  I'm experimenting with that, and we'll see what happens.  The cost was very reasonable, so what the hell.  I hoping for a firmer ride with less rear end squat.

Edited by Duncan
  • Like 2
On 8/27/2018 at 7:57 PM, opalbeetle said:

I don’t think I’ve posted in this thread before...but this build is hands down one of my favourites anywhere. Absolutely awesome. Absolutely inspirational. Thanks for sharing it. 

I had not seen your build thread, and just spent about 20 or so minutes looking through it.  Your build is very impressive, and I'd like to take some time to go through it more closely.  Your build seem to be similar in scope as mine.

Thank you for the kind words.  I look forward to watching yours, and it looks like it's going to be beautiful when it's done!

Mark

Thanks for your encouragement, Mark.  It's been a long term project, that's for sure.

I live on a gravel road and am happy with a 20' paint job.  It's far from perfect, but it'll look good from afar and while it's moving!  

I'm looking forward to driving it again....

Todd

Started putting the back seat in.  I got about this far when my neighbor with the Pantera showed up.

rseatbtm.jpg

I threw him in the back of the wagon and went for a drive.  I needed a second person to pinpoint where my gnarly-ass rattle was coming from.  He confirmed my suspicions that it was from the left rear quarter. 

After pulling the tail light and the upholstered panel that covers the inner quarter, with no luck,  we started looking under the car..

exhaust.jpg

Even though I could grab and shake the exhaust without it rattling, it looked way too close to the left shock.  I wedged a piece of dense foam rubber between the shock and the exhaust, and my mystery intermittent rattle finally disappeared.    It took a while, but I now have all the rattles taken care of.  (It still is an old car, though..)

So on Tuesday, I need to find a muffler shop and see if they can replace the section from behind the muffler to the rear of the car.

exhtip.jpg

I'll be very happy to get rid of this dilapidated (formerly) chrome tip.  It really looks like shit, it sticks out too far, and it needs to go.  I just want a piece of down turned pipe.  No fart cans, please...

Even though I have a long list of things to take care of, it's getting there, and I'm having a ball driving it! ?

Edited by Duncan
  • Like 1

you could simply use cargo straps to hold the muffler on one side and another strap to pull the exhaust away from the shock. Then pry the exhaust end to its original position

EDIT: nevermind. I missed a part. Carry on with the exhaust shop

Edited by sebpv
  • Like 1
10 hours ago, sebpv said:

EDIT: nevermind. I missed a part. Carry on with the exhaust shop

No worries ?

I've always hated that chrome end piece, and it shouldn't be too big of a deal to replace all of it from the muffler back.  I could always use a wratchet strap and possibly pull it away from the shock a little bit, but I don't generally like doing things like that unless it's absolutely necessary.

With that said, you should see how I tweak doors to fit..

Edited by Duncan
  • Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Still fixing shit..

Changed my rear springs today.

spr1.jpg

Comparo of stock vs modified:

spr3.jpg

Had a local spring shop add an additional leaf then de-arc the set about 1 inch.  The modified pack is in front, the stock is in the rear.  You can see the extra leaf in the pack, and it's a lower arc compared to the other.  

Haven't driven it other than around the block a couple of times, but the wagon has a firmer ride, and the back end doesn't squat nearly like it did before. I was a bit concerned that it might be too much, but I think it's going to be just fine.  I'm still playing around with air shock pressure, but I think it's going to be a nice improvement over the  old springs.  I don't know what the old/new spring rates are, but the front springs are 225lbs each, and it seems more balanced now.  

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Are they ever done? 

When it's ready, I'll take it and show it somewhere.  I could have cleaned up and installed the old carpet and actually taken it to JCCS, but I don't want to show it until I'm happy with it.

You can come by anytime if you want Ray.  You're always welcome, Big Guy!

• Like 2

Been a while since I've done any updates.

Still wasn't happy with the gap between the driver's door, and the rear driver's side door. (Too large a gap)

Before:

owag1.jpg 

Now:

dgap.jpg

It's now about half the size it was before.  I ended up moving the front door back, along with moving the rear door forward a bit.  I sort of devised a come-along with some all thread and some heavily padded 2x4's down at my friend's shop in San Diego.  All the door gaps on the car are now very consistent.  It's been a real bitch because of the replacement doors, but I'm okay with them now.  

I did the 200 mile round trip in the wagon, and realized that even though the Lizard Skin was reasonably effective, I DO need some more sound deadener.

flrcln.jpg

So this morning I yanked the heater, passenger seat, and the rear seat.  I took a bucket of hot water and added a bit of dish soap and degreaser, and scrubbed down the passenger floor and back seat floor.  I vacuumed the soapy stuff up and followed with a lot of clean water scrubbing to get the residue off.

More as I go...

Edited by Duncan
  • Like 2