Duncan

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 4 weeks later...

JCCS caused a delay on the wagon, and this weekend I slapped a new rear axle and rear suspension into my Sunny.  The rear axle is completely rebuilt with a NOS ring and pinion, and all brake parts are new.  I even rebuilt the brake adjusters and got a new parking brake cable :)

The spring packs were disassembled, sandblasted, and reassembled using new urethane pads.  Nissan still had all the rear shackle bushings except for one.  I was puling those out of 1200's I ran across in the junkyard, so I had many decent used ones to pick from.

The previous rear end was a noisy H165 from a 1200 pickup.  The new one is a H145 from a sedan, as are the leaf springs.  She goes down the freeway much quieter, it rides better, and at 75mph, it runs about 500-600 rpms lower.

I also added a sexy new pair of KYB Gas-adjust shocks in silver :)

rearax.JPG

Next weekend, I'm changing the carbs for some ZTherapy units that finally showed up.  

• Like 1

It is a funny thing about those shackle bushings... that one part # has been NLA for about 4 years, always thought that to be very curious.

I thought it was strange, too.  They are all available except the large one on the back of the spring.  I did have a couple of good used ones, so I was okay.  I tried the urethane ones in an old Camaro, and took them out right away.  They were hard and rode stiff.      

• 2 weeks later...

Got sidetracked on the Sunny again.  Received and installed new ZTherapy carbs.  Pricey, but they are really great and the car is running better than it ever has.  With the new carbs and rear axle, I gained around 10mph more freeway speed with a 500-700 drop in rpms.  The diff is really quiet and the clunking is gone..

carbs.JPG   

I had some time left over to do the last floor repair on the goon, and I also converted my new/used rear bumper to accept the '68-style license plate light.

I need some more time to button up a few things on it, but Lizard Skin on the floors is coming soon.

Actually, that is the A12 motor in my Sunny.  I hijacked my own build thread with some Sunny stuff I have been doing the last couple of weeks.  The goon has a L20 that I haven't even opened the hood on in over a year :(

your goon has a J14

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't posted in a while but have been making progress after the Sunny repairs and updates..

done.JPG

Finished all floor repairs, and spent the entire day last week masking off the car for Lizard Skin on the floor and inside rear quarters.

done1.JPG

The outer shell is mostly finished.  Just a couple of photos to see how far it's come.

done2.JPG

done3.JPG

The Lizard Skin is pretty nice. 

I need to paint the interior sills and pillars, but my friend is talking about retiring in May or June, so I can easily do that later.  I'm not sure what's next, but I'm thinking engine bay strip/paint and suspension rebuild.

I have to find some iron-on denim patches to seal the drain holes in the floors ;)

• Like 1

I have to find some iron-on denim patches to seal the drain holes in the floors ;)

Auto parts stores sell packets of vinyl [probably]  floor and firewall drain plugs.  Your heater just might puke on your floor some day and then you will be glad you have popable drain plugs.

Anyone can restore an original Bluebird dash panel..

cluster.JPG

But it takes a real man to cut one up!

cluster1.JPG

Since my goon is RHD I searched for quite a while to find a Bluebird dash panel.  I want to populate it with Speedhut gauges.  I took a rotary file and removed the area in front of the smaller gauges with the names on them.  Followed up with a fine half-round file, then 320 sand paper.  I have some really good paint for abs plastic that I will respray the panel with using an airbrush.

Was pretty nervous about screwing this up, because these things are rare.  It came out real nice, IMHO.

tank.JPG

My gas tank was in the hot-tank for a few days, then primered and painted. 

Haven't quite decided what area to do next, so working on parts was a nice change of pace.

I sprayed the entire floor going up as high on the firewall as I dared.  (It was quite a masking job)  The entire roof is sprayed with it, as are the insides of the rear quarters.

Spraying anything on the roof inside a car is not for the person who doesn't like to get messy :)

I might use some Dynamat inside the doors, but no plans to use it on any other areas.  I took more floor pics, but the rear cargo floor photo turned out the best..

By the way, my friend's shop does pristine and/or hot-rodded Sunbeam Tigers and Alpines.  Here's some photos of a nearly finished Tiger. 

If your not familiar with the Tiger, it's a 2 seat British sports car that Carol Shelby shoehorned a small block Ford V8 into.  They have some serious muscle :)

multiple engine options???? I always knew them to have a Chrysler 273.

on another note, the 510 looks good mate :thumbup:

multiple engine options???? I always knew them to have a Chrysler 273.

on another note, the 510 looks good mate :thumbup:

The Tiger was a Caroll Shelby product, and always had Ford 260/289 V8's in them.  There are multiples of them at the shop I work in, and they are all Ford powered.

Quick blurb on Tiger history..http://www.tigersunited.com/history/tdev2.asp

Thanks for the kind words. 

• 3 weeks later...

Been here in San Diego the last few days.  The weather has been incredibly great.  Been busting out some work on the goon..

front.JPG

I yanked the struts and all the front suspension out.   I have new EVERYTHING to be installed, including 280ZX struts.  I sourced Japanese tie rod ends and ball joints, too.

front1.JPG

Some parts out of the hot tank and ready for primer and paint.

Anyone have a set of control arms or sale?  I have a slightly damaged one that can be repaired, but I'd rather just buy one or two (hopefully local) and not fool around with it. 

I also got moving on some body work.  Pics tomorrow when I get home.

ruuf.JPG

Finally got the roof done!  I'm guessing I have 50 or so hours in this panel alone. That was one wavy-ass bastard.  Brutal..

corn.JPG

corn1.JPG

corn2.JPG

patch panel and lead work on left side windshield corner..

intp.JPG

Sanded, repaired, and primered all the interior surfaces that get painted.  Yes, I used filler!  No need for lead in the interior :)

Except for final sanding and paint, the interior is done!  The wheel well has a nice dent in it, but it gets covered so I left it.. 

Happy Thanksgiving!

Well...

whwell.JPG

Of course I fixed it.  I was just goofin' on it.  Truth is I didn't notice it until after I primered it, and I had to wait until today for the primer to dry.  It was a 10 minute fix.. I fixed a couple of small problem spots on the other one, too..

• Like 1

ws.JPG

Had to do another corner repair on the driver's side of the windshield.  The repair piece cut and fit prior to welding..

ws1.JPG

ye olde action shot :)

ws2.JPG

Welded in and finished ground.  I wish this shot came out better because this piece turned out so well, it hardly needs any bodywork. 

I only posted the photos of this repair because I'm *reasonably* sure this is the last repair piece the wagon needs. (as far as body/rust repairs)  The fenders are mostly done, and the hood and cowl areas have no signs of any damage or cancer.  (fingers crossed)

I think the first post of this thread is dated December of 2011, so it's been two years  :crying:  :crying:  Where does the time go?   

With some of the things I've run into with this project, nothing would surprise me.  This is the only 510 I've owned, so it could be missing something and I wouldn't necessarily know it. 

Maybe Datrod or Wicked Jester (or anyone else) can chime in here..

i notice there is no bracket/brace across the fender rail and door frame.

i thought all wagons had it???