Duncan's 71 "Oz" Goon

Duncan

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have a set of goon bumpers and have not decided if they are going to be used yet.  If you get to a point where you cannot find any let me know and hopefully I will have made a decision by then.  The ones I have are sanded down and primered (not by me) and I have only taken a quick look at them and put them in storage.

Been busy on the goon..

jkhol.JPG

Hopefully, the last lead filled spot. 

The guys in the shop were having a field day on referring me as the "Jackhole" working on the jack hole :)

(That hole is for the license plate light wire, but who am I to kill a good bit.)

inroof.JPG

inroof1.JPG

Got the headliner out. The PO glued some foam in there and I had to sand the roof down.  Lizard Skin to be shot shortly..

Note the nice burnt orange original color.  I'm not sure what the official name of that color is.

flrstrip.JPG

Floors stripped and waiting for the Lizard Skin, too.

outroof.JPG

The back 1/3 of the roof stripped to bare metal.  Before any Lizard Skin goes on the inner roof, I need to completely strip this to bare metal.  If there are any repairs, I don't want to be removing Lizard Skin to do it.  I would normally strip this chemically with paint remover, but since the lower half of the car is mostly finished, I can't have paint remover getting on all that nice primered finish work..I did this car a bit backwards, but that's how it goes sometimes. 

Hmmmmm you have a coupe windshield.  I actually (for once in my life) have money. Since you are not going to Williams can you pimp Datrod into bringing it maybe.  I currently have one but am planning on installing it myself on the green car if it ever comes back from the body shop. Always good to have an extra....especially in this state.

Goon is lookin the goods and you were close to the jackhole so you can just say  OOPS! I missed :angel:

By the way, my friend's shop does pristine and/or hot-rodded Sunbeam Tigers and Alpines.  Here's some photos of a nearly finished Tiger. 

If your not familiar with the Tiger, it's a 2 seat British sports car that Carol Shelby shoehorned a small block Ford V8 into.  They have some serious muscle :)

tiger1.JPG

Tiger2.JPG

Tiger3.JPG

• Like 1

Trust me on this, it has been painted enough...

He keeps futzing with it.  John took me for a ride in it the other day, and that thing is a rocket.  The stock motor I think was around 180hp or so, and this one is probably over 300. 

Thanks, but I didn't do much of anything on the Tiger.  (Except dispense armchair advice) :)

I did get my roof stripped and in primer. 

Believe it or not, this roof was about 16 or so total hours of labor (including priming and cleaning up)

Note to self: Always start at the roof first and use chemical paint stripper.  I re-learned this the hard way.  

goonroof.JPG

Spent some quality time at home today and have the front fenders about 90% there.

fenders.JPG

Coming soon to a roof and a floor near you...

lizskn.JPG

I'm headed to Arizona to pick up paint right after labor day.  Cal-compliant paint blows ass, so I am picking up some good stuff from Arizona before the entire country follows California's crusade.. :(

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

lizskn1.JPGlizskn1.JPG

Lizard Skin Sound control applied on inner roof.  Important safety tip:  If you apply this stuff, mask the shit out of EVERYTHING.  I used a "Schutz" undercoating gun which worked great, but overspray went to literally everything that wasn't masked off.  Nothing fatal happened, but I did spend a few hours scraping it off of door sills, etc, etc..

The stuff appears to work well.  With the headliner out, tapping on the roof would make a pronounced ring.  With the lizard skin, the roof just makes a dull thud.  It seems to dampen the acoustics quite a bit.  I don't know how it will be when driving, but it passes the tap test pretty well.

rearbmp1.JPG

He shoots, He scores!

Checked Craigslist San Diego this morning and found and found a guy selling wagon parts.  Got an incredibly great price on a very usable rear bumper.  It's reasonably straight, and it fits!  (The last one I bought did not fit)

roof.JPG

Been working on the roof the last few days.  It had a lot of small dents and my friend reminded me it is a wagon, and people hauled stuff in it, and threw crap on the roof while loading and unloading.  Makes sense.

Another surprise when I took out the headliner and the roof flexed (or oil-canned) like crazy. Those darned clever Japanese engineers designed the headliner bows to support and stabilize the roof. 

Take those bows out and you have one big-ass piece of flexible thin metal :) Especially on a wagon.

my can says dbc and the activator says dx. what's the difference on yours?

going from memory dbc, dbu are prefixes for the basecoat color in a 2 stage system.  DT is reducer, and DX, DCX and possibly a few others (usually with an X) is activator in the PPG line.  The primers and clears follow some sort of system , too.

The single stage paints are all over the map  depending on what "series" they belong to.  My paint is the "concept" line..

I could be full of crap too, because it's been a really long time since I thought about this stuff :)

Edit to my deleted post. 

I have been spending a long time on both sides of the roof.

roof1.JPG

The roof is a BIG single piece of thin metal. Lotsa work to get this big-ass panel straight.  We're getting very close, though..

I have a nice dealer roof rack I was thinking about installing, but after all this work on the roof, there's no way I'm drilling holes in it..