1964 L320 Project with a J13 swap

Mini-L320

Ok so I've had this little beast for like 2 years now I think. Never really had the chance to work on it, but I did manage to swap in a J13 motor. Have it all set, but cant figure out the wiring. The old switch was never on it and the wires are all over the place. I bought an Ignition switch from Autozone.

It has 4 terminals the switch

1. Battery

2. Acc

3. Ignition

4. Negative

So where should my wires go to?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The 64 L320 was positive ground, don't know what you are running, positive or negitive ground, alternator or stock generator? It can get complicated, you might need a whole new/differant wiring harness.

Oh alright. Guess thats the problem then, I have my Positive + from the battery feeding the Black wire going to the starter. So I will switch those up then tommorrow. Im running an L18 Alternator. My wires were also smoking when I turned over the key to start it. Will update you tommorrow, thanks alot :thumbup:

You need to not do anything at the moment, if you are running an alternator, then your system is not stock, therefore it is likely not positive ground anymore, and you need to find someone that can wire the truck for you, before it catches fire. You likely need to rewire the truck for negitive ground, certain things could be a direct short right now, and since I have never rewired one yet, I am going to shut up now.

You need to not do anything at the moment, if you are running an alternator, then your system is not stock, therefore it is likely not positive ground anymore, and you need to find someone that can wire the truck for you, before it catches fire. You likely need to rewire the truck for negitive ground, certain things could be a direct short right now, and since I have never rewired one yet, I am going to shut up now.

Ooh. I do have the original Generator for it but It wont just bolt up to the J13. Have people done these swaps to these trucks and used the original Generator on the J13?

Ooh. I do have the original Generator for it but It wont just bolt up to the J13. Have people done these swaps to these trucks and used the original Generator on the J13?

I do not know if other people have put a J13 in there 64 and kept it positive ground with the generator, every one of the non stock L320s I have ever seen were rewired for negitive ground. You need to talk to someone that knows what they are talking about, and that is not me, when I swap a newer engine into an older datsun anymore, I use the wiring harness from the vehicle I took the engine out of. I know nothing about wiring from scratch, which is what your going to need to do.

Do some googling on repolarizing cars. From what I have read it isn't hard. There are a few things that won't switch from + to - ground. Chiefly the radio, so take that out of the system if it is in. (Could be what was smoking.) And some of the gauges won,t like it but I think the worst there is that the needles will want to go the other way.

I don't think you will need to rewire the car at all. Do a little googling, you'll see.

I think on the 320, when switching NEG ground, only the radio needs modifying ... but best to check the repolarizing topics. Of course an alternator won't work with POS ground.

It has 4 terminals the [ignition] switch

1. Battery

2. Acc

3. Ignition

4. Negative

So where should my wires go to?

1 goes to the 'B' lead on the 320 Fuse Block

2 do not connect, 320s don't have an Accessory circuit

3 goes to the 'I' lead on the 320 Fuse Block

4 do not connect, Datsuns don't use a negative switched circuit