loads of white smoke

Not sure what to make of this. I pulled my engine from one truck and put it in the other. It didn't smoke burn oil nothing in the other truck. I finally got to fire it up today. Billowing white smoke from the tail pipe, and black crap all over the snow. The black started as actual chunks of hard stuff, turned into thick black fluid, now its mostly watery black ish fluid. Smoke still prevails.

The engine was in my daily runner, so it only sat for a few days. The exhaust system on the new truck was still complete, so I just mated up to it. The new truck hasn't been licensed since 04, but I'm not sure the last time it was driven.

The only real difference I know of is this truck has a cat and mine didn't. I have no emissions hooked up, including blocked off egr which I did while the engine was out.

Any input would be awesome, I needed my dd back...

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The emission controls (or lack thereof) won't cause these symptoms. So no worries there.

billows of White Smoke could be:

* Automatic transmission? Disconnect and plug the vacuum line to see if the problem stops. If it does, the vacuum modulator is leaking transmission fluid into the engine

* Coolant leak. Give the cooling system a pressure check. If it won't hold the test pressure, it could be a leaking intake manifold gasket (leaking into the engine, not outside) or a compromised head gasket. Or another coolant leak into the intake system.

Guest kamakazi620

Id let it run for a half an hour if it doesn't overheat then it could be water in the cat and muffler it will take awhile to burn it all out,my ex daily smoked white real bad for two days it had a cat full of water from a previous head gasket failure

For many drivers, it is difficult to tell the difference between white smoke and bluish-white smoke. The latter is caused by burning oil, such as from worn ring or worn valve guides.

What color smoke do you see?

* White smoke that dissipates

* Bluish-white smoke that does not dissipate, but eventually scatters with the wind

Yeah I'd run it for some time and see what happens. Keep an eye on the temp and coolant. Remember what happens when a gasket blows, the hot steam will crack hard deposits off the piston tops and spit them out the exhaust pipe. Not saying the gasket is leaking but if the engine was lain down on it's side..... maybe coolant leaked in. Maybe gas from the carb leaked in and disolved some crud.

Have you checked your coolant levels post-run? If you'd filled the radiator, and now you're missing a bunch of watch, there's a chance something happened when the engine was out. I've had friends who's engines have ran fine in a car, then when they pull the engine and stick it in something else, all the sudden they have a blown head gasket. The problem comes from lifting the engine by the head. MIGHT be what happened here. Start pulling spark plugs and see if any of them look steam cleaned.

Also check your dipstick for milky brown oil, or your radiator for oil contaminated water; both signs of a blown head gasket or cracked block.

If the exhaust system was open to air for a bunch of years, a LOT of water could have ended up in there, as well as all the carbon and oil deposits along the way.

Does the white smoke smell sweet?

Cold and high humidity will show the exhaust as steamy and that's normal. There chould be lots of condensation in the exhaust/muffler and will take some time to warm and boil off. Filling the street when revved is subjective. It still could be nothing to worry about. We hope.

Yeah I hope. I forgot to mention when I first started it the exhaust coil wasn't working and it was backfiring out the carb when revved above 1k.

On another note, I still can't drive it because the clutch is dry. Any tips to bleeding it, since its not the same as doing the brakes

Yeah I hope. I forgot to mention when I first started it the exhaust coil wasn't working and it was backfiring out the carb when revved above 1k.

On another note, I still can't drive it because the clutch is dry. Any tips to bleeding it, since its not the same as doing the brakes

If been dry for a while ... check to see if slave or master is leaking or still good ... pull back dust boot to inspect bore and any leaky seals ... look for rust... do not push on while dry ... it will ruin them ... check after filling with fluid ... and after driving around the block ... try not to let hydro systems go dry ( I don't) ... I also bleed mine every 1-2 years most ... its c. Heap

Bench bleed clutch master .... fill with fluid .... crack open bleeder on slave ... I usually let it bleed out at least 1 clutch reservoir through ... at least ... good and clear ... before calling good.

Its like bleeding brakes yes ... both hydro systems ... ;)

That doesn't look too bad. It is entirely possible that you have litterally a puddle of water in the exhaust, though after 30 mins, it should start clearing up a bit. The fact that it's pretty whispy smoke seems to suggest it's not a head gasket (those are typically thick clouds of lingering steam).

You might try doing a compression check.