waynos 1963 L320 project

wayno

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wayno, are the decals on the heater in good enough condition that you can read them ?? I'd almost bet that they're not, considering the weathering that this pickup has endured. my pickup that is in decent original condition and another member here with a way better original are neither readable. Seems they were printed on a foil or mylar type base and didn't weather so well. Looking for a good pic of a pair of heater stickers to maybe reproduce.

Steve

• Like 1

I am sure it would be a lot to ship something that big across the pond to the southern hemisphere, I shipped a box that was a lot smaller and lighter to the Brisbane area a while back and it went USPS and it was almost $150.00 as I recall, shipping is crazy these days unless it is in a flat rate box.

I am positive you could find something off a small car or truck over there in a wrecking yard that would work, and unless you drive it everyday and go around corners like you stole it you should be fine without a sway bar.

• Like 3

No. It is an old art, but guys still do it. Jay Morris of Ground Control taught me how to heat and modify an existing sway bar a long time ago. Bending a new one would require the right steel, and possibly some heat treating (which can be done at home if you know what you're doing).

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, 320 Newb said:

I found a really nice 520 in the woods behind someone's house in Montana while on vacation about 15 years ago and the owner was saving it for her daughter or something. A tree has since fallen on it. 😞

The nicest old car I ever found was an abandoned Rambler [no, not the AMC late comer but an original] in Choteau MT in 1968.  Its engine was frozen, but the leather "U Joints" were still flexible.  Wish I had tracked down the owner of the gravel pad it was sitting on!

• Like 2

I cut the rusty metal out of the tailgate and made new pieces.

001.jpg

004.jpg

007.jpg

Then I covered everything that had any rust on it before I welded the new pieces in.

012.jpg

It is back together, all metal was replaced that was cut out, you can see the 3 rows of bare metal spots, these are spot welds I repaired on the existing internal metal brace inside or the internal brace I added below as the metal was too soft and would collapse if weight was put on it like if someone sat down on the tailgate, it is now strong again.

002.jpg

003.jpg

008.jpg

I might have to put an internal piece inside the gate on the bottom to make this area at the bottom straight.

009.jpg

I also worked on the tailgate license plate cover/light, it is not in the best condition but the lights work now.

I may work on it a little more on the future, but it is an extra tailgate that I don't need and I will sell it to recoup what I paid buying all the parts I bought from the guy, I don't need this tailgate as I have another one for the U320 that has never been installed on a vehicle.

• Like 2
  • 4 years later...

I have not been to this thread in years, I sold some Datsun 320 parts and the guy that bought them told me about these parts in the links below.

Early Datsun 320 fuel pump with the primer lever.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/353643272707

Here is a stock 320 carb rebuild kit with the needle and seat, I think(I might be wrong) it was missing the accelerator pump plunger, but Moses and difrangia have figured that out.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/204399973045

• Like 3