waynos 1963 L320 project

wayno

It is the stuff that Stevecar posted this link to below in the 320newb thread.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rubber-Seal-for-Doors-Hatches-Lockers-Enclosures-Cabinets-C011-Per-Foot/141056177863?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

It works but since it is not connected to the screen one has to adjust everything so the screen will still fit, I cut everything at a half inch sticking up and 5/8" for mounting, basically the gasket is holding the screen in place, I didn't plan it that way, that is how it worked out, I tried to leave an eighth inch gap for the screen on all three sides where the gasket is mounted, it appears that was not enough, but it looks alright, I can live with it as i don't want to try and trim the inside of the gasket where it mounts as I don't want it to fall apart and there is metal in that eighth inch.

Also the sheet metal I made the mounts out of is thin, the gasket grips it alright, but slightly thicker would be better, like as thick as the piece I straightened out on the front.

It kinda hangs out over the sides also but I really had no choice, the stock piece has the gasket connected to the screen, this way means it has to be wider so the screen will still fit in the hole, you can see this in my photos.

I have never seen a new 320 with or without the hood lifted, it kinda looks strange with the new gaskets in place, I still wonder why that gasket don't go all the way across instead of having the gap in the middle, I also wonder if that setup is supposed to let air in or suck it out.

• Like 1
  • Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, difrangia said:

Wayno, Looks good. That is the Ebay rubber seal that is in these last photos ?? If so, I'm ordering a strip of that sausage.

OK Steve

I ordered 8 feet and they sent 10 feet, it was only $11.something, I don't know how that works, maybe they messed up, it appears to take about 54" to do what I did, it will take almost 70" total to have that gasket go all the way across the back.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rubber-Seal-for-Doors-Hatches-Lockers-Enclosures-Cabinets-C011-Per-Foot/141056177863?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Edited by wayno
  • Like 1
On 8/15/2019 at 8:38 PM, wayno said:

I still wonder why that gasket don't go all the way across instead of having the gap in the middle, I also wonder if that setup is supposed to let air in or suck it out.

I think the rubber is there to keep out the hot and stale/smelly engine compartment air. You want fresh air for your ventilation system when using exterior air. So there would be no need for that middle section to have rubber.

• Like 1

So I read that another 320 owner had issues with the gasket around the screen/vent not sitting all the way down on the piece of metal sticking up, mine was because of 2 reasons, one was the piece of metal was too tall, the other was that the screen frame was in the way and when the gasket was in position I could not get the screen in position, so I fixed the issue on mine, this is what I did.

I removed all the rubber gaskets and put the screen in position, then I re-drilled the holes in my home made pieces so I would have at least an eighth inch gap between the screen and the upright pieces of metal I either modified or made, next I dealt with the existing front upright piece, it had a notch on the bottom edge to hold the screen in along with the screw, this notch forced the gasket towards the screen, so I spent some time taking the notch out with vice grips, it took a while but I succeeded, here is the notch I dealt with.

008.jpg

Here is the gap created.

017.jpg

The other side

018.jpg

Here is the gap I made around the screen.

015.jpg

019.jpg

Next I ground the upright piece down to 3/8" all the way around with this using a flap disc, I did it lightly as I didn't want to take off too much.

009.jpg

It's hard to get a good photo of this, the screen is just touching the side of the screen on the sides and front.

010.jpg

Here you can see the side and where I ground off some of the gasket so the gasket across the back will sit level when it hits the screen, it was hard to cut/grind it evenly as there is not much room and there is metal inside the gaskets, also I didn't want to cut/grind off what holds the gasket onto the metal piece sticking up.

006.jpg

007.jpg

It now sits flat onto the base metal all the way around.

012.jpg

The metal you can see where it looks like the gasket is slightly up is the metal holding the upright piece on, the gasket is as far down as it can be.

004.jpg

This is the hood closed without any gaskets installed under the hood.

021.jpg

This is with just the two rear gaskets installed with the hood closed.

022.jpg

This is with all the gaskets installed and the hood closed.

023.jpg

024.jpg

It just doesn't stick up far enough for me to worry about it anymore, it did stick up higher before when all the gaskets were installed, I am thinking that the upright pieces that were there and the ones I made were too tall before I ground them down around an eighth inch, it might have been the screen surround that was holding my hood up and not the back pieces like I thought.

• Like 2

I didn't do it the way you and Steve appear to have done it, I went for the way it was stock, the screen gasket is separate from the rear pieces.

vent-rubber.jpg

Also if you look at your photo above the part/flap on the gasket that goes around the screen is backwards, it is tilted away from the louvers in the stock gasket, but yours is pointed towards the louvers, see the photos below on how the stock gasket was mounted.

025.jpg

027.jpg

This is what it looked like when I tried the gasket the way you have it, I could see the gasket in the louvers which made me think rain water could just run down the inside of the firewall instead of down threw the screen like it was meant to do, although having rain water do either is not good.

012.jpg

Edited by wayno
  • Like 2

The new gasket only sticks up maybe an eighth inch higher than that wore out stock gasket on the screen, and it is hard to say if the stock gasket has held its shape, its likely been pushed down by the hood and/or sagged from time, the front of that gasket.

I just measured both, stock gasket is around an inch high, the new gasket is around an inch and an eighth high, but again your situation may be different than mine, I thought the rear pieces were pushing my hood up, but it turned out to likely be the screen part/area that was pushing the hood up.

Edited by wayno
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I looked at this today, it is in pretty bad shape, lots of rust in the rear panels, it has a lot of extra stuff like extra NL doors, an extra tailgate that appears to be usable, it has at least 3 taillight bezels, set of proper 64 front fenders but I didn't remove them from the box to see if they were rust free, extra hood, dash, 3 grills of which one of the 64 grills appeared to be good for sure, it has the drive train in it also but it had a spin on oil filter, I believe the 64 had a canister filter.

I really don't want this truck, yes I could part it out and likely get my money back but I don't really feel like spending the time doing that, is any NL320 owner interested in this?

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

Edited by wayno
  • Like 2

It was so full of shit I cannot see the bed or how rusty it is, right in back of the passenger door the rocker is gone but that area is accessible in both sides, the rust over the fender wells is bad on both sides, the pass door would hardly open and the drivers door would not open at all, either it was locked or the door handle button was seized.

I asked him a few times what he wanted for it, he finally thru out $500.00 questioningly, he said it ran 10 years ago, there is enough stuff there to have a truck with all the parts I think, it had an alright set of taillight bezels.

There is a lot of work there, I told the guy I would decide what I was going to do tomorrow, I will call him and take a closer look tomorrow.

Oh, the front bumper was bent on the drivers side, not a lot and I suspect it could be fixed, I believe that the NL320 Mike cut up was in about the same condition, but this one has a signed off title I was told, it was the guys grandfathers truck, too bad it sat outside for all these years.

Edited by wayno
  • Like 3

Here are more photos, the one below is of the rust hole just in back of the pass side door.

001.jpg

Just inside the door

002.jpg

Driver side in the same area, it could have a rust hole inside the door also but the door will not open.

003.jpg

Driver side fender just in front of the door, there are an extra set of proper 1964 fenders in the box of the truck.

004.jpg

Engine compartment

005.jpg

006.jpg

Interior shots

007.jpg

008.jpg

Pass side rear panel, has a large crease and a small crease and dent just above the bumper corner/end.

009.jpg

Here are the back cab corners, they have no holes but are rusty.

010.jpg

011.jpg

I either removed or moved the stuff in the box to look at the bed, there are no holes in the bed but it is rusty, it will never be smooth unless extreme measures are taken, I also lifted the floor mats on both sides, I found one nickle size hole near the kick panel on the pass side, I didn't see any holes on the driver side but it was hard to get there as the drivers side door will not open, the interior handle will not move and neither will the exterior handle button, he squirted some WD40 type stuff on the pass side hinges and the driver side door handle button.

It appears to have a J13 in it but I could not see the 1300 on the side of the block as it is very dirty in there, but still has the E1 starter/transmission, has not been started in over 10 years, he has the title to this truck and the green truck that was scrapped years ago that all the extra green doors/fenders/hood came from.

It only has one usable set of taillight bezels, the 3rd one on the truck is dented/cracked 2/3rds up the side of it, it likely could be repaired if one knows what they are doing.

It has a package tray also, I think it is the proper one, the extra rear tailgate has rust issues around the hinges that will have to be repaired before trying to use, it has 3 inner tailgate pieces/covers, all 3 are bent like someone put a lot of weight on them, both tailgate have the top trim piece but both are slightly bent/bowed.

The guy appears to want $500.00 for this truck with everything in it, otherwise it will likely sit there another 10 years.

• Like 2

Yes it is in rough shape, I just don't see you or anyone else saving it, it's not worth the time to me or likely anyone else unless they are missing parts.

The thing is it has parts that can be sold, the wiper assembly/motor,the taillight bezels/lenses, the tailgate(although it needs work but it is better than nothing), the doors, it has 4 of them and I have heard of guys extending their L320 cab and using NL320 doors in it, that actually gives you more room/leg room as the NL320 has no more room, that rear window is in the same spot as the L320.

I found out about this truck because I bought some 320 parts from someone related to this guy, if it had the hubcaps it would have already been at my house by now, but they were sold years ago to someone in Australia, the only things that interest me are the rear bumper, the taillight bezels, and the package tray.

• Like 1

Well I just got back from this guys house again, he sold me parts from it and parts his brother dropped off, it appears a windshield went to the dump.

This truck has what appear right now to be alright doors, I don't know what is behind the door cards or how rusty they are on the inside, but the outside of the green ones look alright, anyone need any NL320 doors?

This thing is likely going to be scrapped, so if someone needs NL320 stuff tell me and i will let you know if it is available and how much, I also have 2 dash assemblies and 4 sets of instruments, he has a couple more dashes with instruments, I looked at that windshield once but would have to look at it again if someone wants it.

If you want something PM me.

• Like 1

This pickup is a prime example of mother nature aggressively reclaiming the elements from a unique and beautiful vehicle that is a bold statement from a turning point period in automotive styling history; the 1955-1965 time frame. The 'race to space' and developing rocket science going on during that period influenced the automotive styling industry producing all sorts and sizes of fins on the back, swept panels and chrome flashes down the sides, and nostrils and gaudy in some instances bullets and blades on the front with an abundance of chrome highlighting these features. The themes continued on the interiors. 

That might sound a bit too emotional or romantic way of looking at what to some people are just a means of transportation or tools to get a job done.  Styling and design are two perspectives that I view an automobile, appliance, tools, or whatever from. Just a quirk that I have to live with. 

Enough blathering. Wayno,  Is the serial number and other info of this NL on either of the databases of 320 pickups? If not can you post some information on this one ? If this pickup were not half of a continent away, I'd probably be in semi-serious discussion with the owner. It'd cost several times the purchase price just to get it home.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, difrangia said:

This pickup is a prime example of mother nature aggressively reclaiming the elements from a unique and beautiful vehicle that is a bold statement from a turning point period in automotive styling history; the 1955-1965 time frame. The 'race to space' and developing rocket science going on during that period influenced the automotive styling industry producing all sorts and sizes of fins on the back, swept panels and chrome flashes down the sides, and nostrils and gaudy in some instances bullets and blades on the front with an abundance of chrome highlighting these features. The themes continued on the interiors. 

That might sound a bit too emotional or romantic way of looking at what to some people are just a means of transportation or tools to get a job done.  Styling and design are two perspectives that I view an automobile, appliance, tools, or whatever from. Just a quirk that I have to live with. 

Enough blathering. Wayno,  Is the serial number and other info of this NL on either of the databases of 320 pickups? If not can you post some information on this one ? If this pickup were not half of a continent away, I'd probably be in semi-serious discussion with the owner. It'd cost several times the purchase price just to get it home.

Well said Steve. I'd add the historical significance of early 60s Japanese cars in the era of American muscle. My dad was a teenager building cars for fun in the 60s and he doesn't even remember seeing a Japanese car until the early 70s. 

As someone who would love to someday own an NL it's sad to see such a complete truck succumb to the elements.  

• Like 2

I told him that I didn't want to drag it home and the one that had expressed interest at first called it rough, I expect it will sit there another 10 years so there are parts there to be had, I just don't want to go over there every time someone wants a part, so I am making a list and when that list is large enough I will call him and see if I can come over and remove some parts, that is the best I am going to be able to do.

I will try to remember to take a photo of the VIN tag next time I am there, in my opinion this truck is not worth shipping anywhere.

• Like 1

These are always tough, sticky situations. I get angry with guys like this owner for letting this happen, but ultimately, I have no skin in the game. I have reasoned with guys like this before telling them that it simply is not worth what they are asking because it simply is not saveable. A guy who was willing to hear that statement for what it is would give the car to me, and this has happened before.

Since there is so much rust/rot, in such hard places, the value in this particular truck comes in the form of "art". I hate to use that word, but it's true. I could see planting this truck next to the driveway in a sort of staged manner, like yard art. I could also see cutting the back tailgate section off and hanging it from the wall in the shop, or making a bench seat out of it. There is value there, just not as a driving vehicle anymore.

If the guy would take $100 for the shell, I would give one of you guys the $100 to go save it, just for the sake of art.

• Like 3

The guy is way past half way of the $500.00 he wanted from me for the whole truck just selling parts to me, but I got a usable NL320 rear bumper out of this and I would have paid a couple hundred plus just for that plus shipping, it's way better than that one that was on ebay recently and I got it for way less money,  I bought the taillight bezels and lens buckets(one pair), the rear bumper, the extra tailgate that needs work(worked on that today), all 3 extra tailgate covers, two license plate light housings, the 320 package tray, and all all the other little plastic stuff for the door knobs.

Here is the extra tailgate I bought, it has some issues but I will fix it, I replaced all the top trim capture nuts today after I straightened it out.

014.jpg

016.jpg

019.jpg

This is the only photo I have of the tailgate before I worked on it, you can see it was really bent at the bottom.

009.jpg

It's coming along, not done yet but making headway, you can also see how bent that green cover is on the right in the photo above, I flattened enough to mount it for the photos.

021.jpg

I have to replace the metal around the hinges now, that will take some time, but this one is better than the one on the U320, I had to add metal the whole length of the tailgate on that one.

DSCN2492.JPG

Edited by wayno
  • Like 1