waynos 1963 L320 project

wayno

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wayno, thanks for posting this, I finally got my little NL running again! it was the float! I took the carb apart and cleaned it, still would flood out. Fixed it with some solder per DanielC's advice and it starts and runs!Thank you DanielC, this is going to be my new daily driver!

• Like 1
  • 8 months later...
  • 5 years later...

Yes, they go up and down the whole way, I tried going with electric but there was not enough room front to back for the door setup I had bought for just this purpose, I looked into versions where the motor was on the bottom but the reviews on them were terrible, stuff like they only worked 3 times or did not work out of box, and they were very expensive, so I cut a slot in the inside panel that covered the hole, I made a "S" shaped bracket that connected to the bottom of the window, I welded a stud that stuck out the slot on the bottom of it, then I put a washer and wingnut on the stud, I slide the wingwindow to the position I want it and tighten the wingnut and there it stays, simple works.

I also tried a modified window crank mechanism, but it only worked till about half way down, and the window fell off of it a few times, so I gave up on that setup.

001.jpg

• Like 2
  • 9 months later...

I worked on my front vent today a little testing out things.

I didn't want to cut or straighten out this piece of metal sticking up, so right now I am working with it as is.

011.jpg

This is what it looks like at this time.

001.jpg

002.jpg

Unfortunately the rubber piece I used around the screen is not tall enough, here it is next to a not so great stock piece.

009.jpg

010.jpg

Here it is mounted with the stock metal piece in place.

008.jpg

You can see the seal doesn't touch when the hood is closed.

007.jpg

Steve straightened out that metal piece sticking up and made some mounts for the sides and mounted his seal in the photos below.

P3020155.jpg

P3020153.jpg

plate.jpg

lip.jpg

I don't want to cut or flatten out that piece sticking up right now like Steve did, and I have not been able to get the seal I used on the back hood channel section to slide over that piece of metal sticking up although it really doesn't matter as this truck is not even close to being original anymore. icon-lol.gif

• Like 1
7 hours ago, wayno said:

Here is a better seal like I used on the back channel mounted on that stock metal piece sticking up, it just doesn't sit right, that metal piece needs to be flattened out and trimmed to the correct height like it appears Steve did on his truck.

Wayne, I am pretty sure that I only straightened it out and did not have to trim the metal piece in the front. I might have made the side pieces tapered, to line up with the front piece and the rear pieces, but It was over a year ago so don't remember for sure. I cut the rear of the rubber in the middle to make the 90 degree bend from the rear to the pieces that I made.

Edited by stevecar
added info
9 hours ago, stevecar said:

but It was over a year ago so don't remember for sure.

Glad to know I'm not the only one who doesn't remember every single detail.

1 hour ago, 320 Newb said:

How hard would it be to modify the rubber instead of modifying the truck? Could you cut off the flap and glue it at 90 degrees where it goes around the screen so the flap points up?

This type of scenario is one I run into often. Do I modify a "hard part" (one that will need modification only once, ever) or do I modify a wear part?

If the hard part will only need modification once in its lifetime, and I can find a wear part that works with the modification, I would rather do that, than have to modify another wear part when it gets old.

People often refer to mods as reversible or irreversible, and do or do not make them based on that. If you're really worried about it, remember that these mods are done in the name of making the vehicles better. Also keep in mind that these are Datsuns, not 250 GTOs.

Steve, I looked at your photos closer, it doesn't appear that you trimmed it, it does appear that you made them pieces to that height so they matched.

I guess I am slow to change little stuff like this as there is no going back once modified, what is hilarious it is a kingcab now so I have no clue what my issue is about this very small change, close the hood and stand back and that little thing is nothing compared to what I have done already.

The screen I am using right now in this modification is off my NL320 as that one had virtually no good gasket left so I cleaned it up and have been mocking everything up with it, since I put that hood scoop on that hood no water can get in that area as there are no louvers out in the open, only engine heat can get in there now, but I do still have the stock hood also.

I don't like changing things either. I spent a lot of time looking for rubber that would work, but finally gave up. I do remember thinking that if I ever did get something I could put the bends back in somehow.

Your extended cab is looking pretty good. Is that the bed you got from me a few years ago? If so, it turned out good too.

Yes that is the bed I bought from you, the farther away one is the better the truck looks.

There is a reason I picked light blue, the guy at the paint place thought I was crazy with going so light of a blue, he didn't think I would be able to tell it was blue, and when I first stared painting it I thought he might have been right as it looked light gray, but once I got away from it I could clearly see it was light blue.

Edited by wayno

I started here, I made mine the same way Steve made his, but I made mine out if flat sheeting from a hood, door, or some other flat piece of scrap sheet metal from a vehicle, I bent it too the shape I needed then I sliced the bottom to make the curve just like Steve did.

009.jpg

011.jpg

This end was a little high

012.jpg

You can see I did a little slicing I didn't need.

014.jpg

Then I did the other side.

015.jpg

You can see this is was even and not high like the other side.

016.jpg

This side has only the cuts I needed to make the bend.

017.jpg

With the screen in place.

018.jpg

With the weather strip/gasket in position.

021.jpg

022.jpg

023.jpg

024.jpg

I think it is making a seal, the hood is a little higher in the back, not sure what is was like before, I stuck a pointed tool thru the louvers and it feels like it is making contact with the under side of the hood.

025.jpg

I straightened that front piece of metal sticking up, the one side was a little high so I tapped on it in that area and it folded over a little, but the gasket slid over it just fine.

There was no point not to straighten that piece as we are not likely going to find that gasket unless someone on here has a good one to give to Greg at Clauss Studios and ask if he will make them which I doubt would happen as there is really no demand for them other than a few of us on here.

• Like 1