620 on a 720 frame??

Siqx20

Been kinda tossing this idea around in my head as to how easy it would be to take a 620 cab and bed and drop it on a 4x4 720 frame. Thus making a 4x4 620. Ofcoarse the cab mounts would need some relocating the big issue is what about wheel in wheel well fittment. Would the fenders line up the same??

Has this been done?

Anybody else think about this kind of thing?

I just reeealllllly want a 4x4 620 lol

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

620 reg cab short wheelbase cab and box onto 720 reg cab short wheelbase frame

620 KC cab and box onto 720 KC frame.

620 KC cab and box onto 720 reg cab long wheelbase frame*

* The KC 620 will fit on the 720 long wheelbase frame if you cut the front L&R box mounts off and move back about 9" and weld them back on. This is what I did. I had an '82 2wd long box frame available and the only difference between the KC and the long wheelbase frames is the two front box mounts. Otherwise it's an almost perfect match.

You have a KC? Then you can go two routes... you'll need a 720 KC 4X4 or a 720 long bed 4X4. (both are technically long wheelbase frames)

Actually the frame VIN won't match the cab number. As long as you own both not so much of a problem. If the frame has been stolen and stripped, you buy it and they check.... big problem. The number is on top of the frame rail between the motor mount and the idler arm.

I realize that it would not be that terribly hard to swap the body onto the 720 4x frame, but why in the world would you want to do that and end up with Nissan's craptastic IFS front suspension?

I think it would make way more sense to keep the 620 frame(and VIN#) and put a solid axle under the front of it. Using either Toyota of Wagoneer axles.

I realize that it would not be that terribly hard to swap the body onto the 720 4x frame, but why in the world would you want to do that and end up with Nissan's craptastic IFS front suspension?

I think it would make way more sense to keep the 620 frame(and VIN#) and put a solid axle under the front of it. Using either Toyota of Wagoneer axles.

And where would you put the transfer case on a 2wd 620 frame?

The 720 4x4 frame mounts the body slightly higher than the 2wd 720 so that's a plus. Also the rear end is mounted under the rear springs for more lift. The torsion bars and rear springs are stiffer. I would swap to a 720 frame and then maybe do a 'Yoda SAS on it.

The 720 4x4 frame mounts the body slightly higher than the 2wd 720 so that's a plus. Also the rear end is mounted under the rear springs for more lift. The torsion bars and rear springs are stiffer. I would swap to a 720 frame and then maybe do a 'Yoda SAS on it.

I didnt say it would be easy, I just think it would be worth the extra effort to not have Nissan's craptastic 4wd IFS. Lots of details would need worked out.

If you just want 4wd and something to play with when it snows, then by all means the 720 frame would be your better option.

a 521 body has to be mounted higher to clear the transfer case without cutting half the floor out.. I mounted mine 2" up at the rear and 3/4" up at the core support from stock 720 mounts.. just to make my life a little easier under the floors.

How would I bolt up a front axle like that? I considered that as well. Im not super savy at the 4x thing. Still reading up on shit I guess

]

I am planning to go 3 link with coil overs when I swap in my dana 44. I may even go with the same brackets from Artec that Master-O is using. I have been eyeballing ruffstuffs 3 link setup also.

Of course, I need to regear and lock the axle up first.

• 2 weeks later...
Been kinda tossing this idea around in my head as to how easy it would be to take a 620 cab and bed and drop it on a 4x4 720 frame. Thus making a 4x4 620. Ofcoarse the cab mounts would need some relocating the big issue is what about wheel in wheel well fittment. Would the fenders line up the same??

Has this been done?

Anybody else think about this kind of thing?

I just reeealllllly want a 4x4 620 lol

620 reg cab short wheelbase cab and box onto 720 reg cab short wheelbase frame

620 KC cab and box onto 720 KC frame.

620 KC cab and box onto 720 reg cab long wheelbase frame*

* The KC 620 will fit on the 720 long wheelbase frame if you cut the front L&R box mounts off and move back about 9" and weld them back on. This is what I did. I had an '82 2wd long box frame available and the only difference between the KC and the long wheelbase frames is the two front box mounts. Otherwise it's an almost perfect match.

You have a KC? Then you can go two routes... you'll need a 720 KC 4X4 or a 720 long bed 4X4. (both are technically long wheelbase frames)

Yes it can and has been done. I built one. see my avatar. Mike is, as usual correct. some small problems to work out but, not that bad.

As for the IFS, it works fine. True it will never be a Jeep CJ in the rocks, but I've run the Mojave road with the

IFS, zero problems.

This set up make for a good handling truck on the road and works well in most off road situations. I guess it comes down to this, What is the percentage of your miles on road, and off road. What type of 4 wheeling do you do.

When you look at it like that the IFS starts to look pretty good. I admit it could use some more ground clearance but that can be addressed.

In the end it's your truck, build it to suit your needs.

MY $.02

• 7 years later...
14 minutes ago, Clint760 said:

Do you think while having the 620 cab and bed on a 720 frame you could still use the 620 engine and transmission? 

If it's a 1980 Datsun 720 chassis/frame it will likely bolt right in, but I would ask why as you already have a ball joint/disc brake frame.

• Thanks 1

Just to add to the fact that 620 cabs will fit on 720 frames, I currently have a 620 KC cab setting on a 720 KC frame. Although not bolted down, the 6 bolts for the cab to frame are setting in the holes in the 620 KC cab and centered in the holes in the 720 KC frame, and the front wheel appears to be real close to centered in the front wheel opening. The big thing with this swap is that the front suspension has the steering gear box and the idler arm outside the frame allowing more room for add-ons to the motor. Also, disc brakes and ball joints are stock. 

• Thanks 1

There are a few 620 4x4 trucks up in OR, I would save back about $3000 and await for one to pop up.

I had a stock rare 620 4x4 with twin stick case and bubble back window for head room.

They crop up every 3 months or so if your looking.

The 79-85 solid axle Yota stuff is strong, cheap, plentiful, and upgradeable.

• Thanks 1
8 hours ago, 620slodat said:

Just to add to the fact that 620 cabs will fit on 720 frames, I currently have a 620 KC cab setting on a 720 KC frame. Although not bolted down, the 6 bolts for the cab to frame are setting in the holes in the 620 KC cab and centered in the holes in the 720 KC frame, and the front wheel appears to be real close to centered in the front wheel opening. The big thing with this swap is that the front suspension has the steering gear box and the idler arm outside the frame allowing more room for add-ons to the motor. Also, disc brakes and ball joints are stock. 

Yeah without the idler arm in the way you can go to any size alternator. I retrofitted a Plymouth K car 90 amp. (only because it was cheap, plentiful and the wrecking yard , when asked, said there was no demand for them because they rarely failed)