STOLEN DATSUNS

People, if you value your possessions it's up to you to protect them from theft. It's not the police's job to drive around watching out for your interests. Older cars are simple and this makes them easy to steal. No car is theft proof, a determined thief will take it if he wants it. What you can do is be pro active and make it harder for him.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/38450-early-1974-260z-has-been-stolen/page__pid__597331?do=findComment&comment=597331

http://community.ratsun.net/index.php?app=forums&module=post§ion=post&do=reply_post&f=4&t=38455

Lock your friggin car!!!!!!!! Get the fuckin locks fixed!!!!! Gee my Datsun comes with built in theft deterrence!!!

Install a kill switch. Probably the best bang for the buck. Alarms are a waste of time. Be creative where you hide the switch. Matchbox dizzys are the best... just interupt the power to the module.

Pull the rotor out and take with you. A bit of work but better than stolen, and an impetus to get a kill switch installed.

Get an use a 'Club'. These fall under a visual deterrence. A thief will look elsewhere for something easier to steel. Or maybe a flashing red LED alarm warning light.

Tips:

Try to park in a well lit area, visible from your house.... you should be able to hear an alarm.

Try to block it in with another car, if at all possible.

Install a motion sensor with flood lights.

Talk to your neighbors. Agree to watch out for each other's vehicles. Report suspicious activity.

ALWAYS lock your car even if just going in to pay for gas. Get in the practice.

Any other ideas? I know that some of these don't apply or are impossible for some because of location.

• Like 1
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Kill switch, wire to the coil/dizzy. This will let the thieve attempt to hot wire and turn the motor over thinking they got it, but without spark it will never start (similar to taking out rotor).

Someone tried to steal my car from the Previous Owner. Luckily the car wouldnt start without choke in the middle of a summer day, and they killed the battery.

Keep valuables out of car.

Around Portland ,,, if it's locked ,,, they will just smash the window ,,, without thinking

All good tips there KingRat ! +!

I've had my zcar prowled ,,, quite a bit this past week ,,, :blink:,,,,,,,,, blocked it in at night-time ( plus other deterrents hehe ) ,,,,I hung a sign in front of car ,,,, that says "WATCHING" (BIG LETTERS ,,, bigger sign ) on it at night-time ,,,, :lol:

:sneaky:

I also think ,,, gifts ,, cash ,,, holidays ,,, people coming and going ,,, is prime-time for assholes to break , steal , and burglarize

Guest 510kamikazifreak

Kill switch, wire to the coil/dizzy. This will let the thieve attempt to hot wire and turn the motor over thinking they got it, but without spark it will never start (similar to taking out rotor).

Someone tried to steal my car from the Previous Owner. Luckily the car wouldnt start without choke in the middle of a summer day, and they killed the battery.

Keep valuables out of car.

Now if a thief were reading this??

hmm :blink: :o

Even my 510, which has a hidden kill switch, and doesn't look nice, with ratty seats, has door locks that work. No ignition key, it's toggle switch push button, but with the double secret kill switch and the doors locked, I'm pretty sure no one's going to get away with my dime, at least not easily. After I get it all done up, I'll probably most likely include yet another secret things to prevent starting, and possibly opening of the hood as well.

Point being, anything you don't want stolen, lock up or keep an eye on. I still haven't put a hidden switch on the D21. Not nearly as likely a target to steal. Doesn't go fast, they're a dime a dozen, and they won't get away from anyone in a high speed chase. I still should have a kill switch on it. I actually have a toggle switch in the jockey box for that purpose, never got around to it.

Also, let's examine this:

Why are people stealing Datsuns? I know 240s are often stolen by thieves looking for SR motors they can sell easily. 510s don't have SRs nearly as much, and its usually pretty easy to tell if they do.

Who wants to steal an old import car unless it's nice looking? Not many people except tweakers. Is there much of a market for stolen Datsun parts? I doubt there is here, and being a tighter knit community of owners, seems risky as the thief is likely to get caught.

Are there any other countries or areas Datsuns could be getting stolen to ship to?

Realistically, I'm thinking these are crimes of opportunity and probably just joy-riders, not chop shops or professional car thieves. Anyone else care to weigh in on those thoughts?

Joy rides and Datsuns are an easy target. They might even think no one will even care for an old car like this.

Datsuns are easy to hot wire. A four foot wire with alligator clips. Jump from battery to + side of coil and stick a screwdriver across the starter terminals to crank it..... varooom... gone.

Screwdriver in door lock and ignition and a strong wrist. Hell the 620 didn't have locking column.

Reach under the steering column and find the connector that goes to the ignition switch and pull apart. Now push together slightly so they aren't hanging loose but not connected either. All the ignition will do now is unlock the column if it has that. It's like having the battery disconnected. When you get in just squeeze the connector together with one hand and go.

Everyone appreciates a Datsun.

I've heard a billion compliments on my dime it's not even finished yet. (Not bragging)

I've had people tell me it is a nice muscle car, then there are the people that say "My Dad had one" or "my buddy put a V8 in one" many people recognize a Datsun, whether it is because of it's unique appearance or the name that was everywhere in the 70's. Most young punk ass kids will recognize it from Transformers, if that or Forza.

I'm building these if anyone is interested. Depending on how you set it up, it's a self or manual armed kill switch with a sensor that is hidden behind a non-metallic panel of your choosing. It is disarmed by sweeping a magnet within approximately 1 inch of the location of the sensor, through the panel.

Since it can be hidden behind a panel, you can tuck it further away from where someone would normally look for a kill switch.

Also, the black push button acts as an arming and/or panic switch. Someone runs up and car jacks you? Slap the button as you exit the vehicle and whatever circuit you placed the main relay in series with is cut, kill the vehicle. The button can be visible (although somewhere out of way so it's not accidentally triggered during normal vehicle operations) since ripping it out and shorting the leads doesn't get the perp any closer to starting the vehicle.

It also makes the car useless even if someone steals your keys. If they don't know how to disarm the device, they're not going anywhere.

gremlin-1.jpg

A small neodymium magnet is also included.

• Like 1

Joy rides and Datsuns are an easy target. They might even think no one will even care for an old car like this.

Datsuns are easy to hot wire. A four foot wire with alligator clips. Jump from battery to + side of coil and stick a screwdriver across the starter terminals to crank it..... varooom... gone.

Screwdriver in door lock and ignition and a strong wrist. Hell the 620 didn't have locking column.

Reach under the steering column and find the connector that goes to the ignition switch and pull apart. Now push together slightly so they aren't hanging loose but not connected either. All the ignition will do now is unlock the column if it has that. It's like having the battery disconnected. When you get in just squeeze the connector together with one hand and go.

Lost your keys before huh?

Had my 620 stolen. Thought who would steel a $75 truck? ... first mistake. Locked it, figured it was safe..... door was jimmied and ignition with a screwdriver... second mistake. My wife spent the next morning checking the local dump spots and found it laying on it's side, trashed. External kill switch and horn connected to the interior light. Could sleep at night.

I know alot of you guys use your Datsun as a daily driver. And have nowhere to park it inside. That leaves you more prone to theft. :(

Me I never leave my wagon outside over night. And if I go somewhere that I'm not sure of the area.(STRIP CLUB) I lock it and pull the rotor and coil wire. I have a few times left my Z outside at home. But I do the same thing coil & rotor. Plus alarm, and one of the club things that attach to the brake petal. And the outside of my house is well lit. Security light, and I have alot of the outdoor lights on the house. Looks like Xmas year round.

But all the things Datzenmike said are very good ideas. One of them I need to do is a KILL Switch.

Had my first Datsun stolen once. Back in 97. 2 escaped convicts hot wired it and drove it till it ran outta gas 375 miles later! We was livin out in the middle of nowhere too. Durkee, Or. We heard later on the 2 dopes got caught down in Cali and sent back to Idaho for like ever!! :lol:

That was fun gettin her back. She was at the local scrap yard next to a pile of freshly flattened cars :( . Hope they had fun drivin it cuz my mom was the last one to drive it before it was stolen and she is only 4' 11"!! The seat was still moved all the way forward when we got it back :lol: .

The steering wheel musta been in the dudes face the whole time! Douche bags

• Like 1

Jason, do you have a time frame for availability or price?

I'm going to time myself and see how long it takes to whip up the kits. I just got the last piece today (the metal LED mount. I'm including a metal and a plastic one depending on what people want to use.)

I'm going to cut and trim the boards here in a couple minutes and probably knock a few out since I have my soldering iron hot from making a new prototyper's power supply.

My rotary is currently protected by 5 laser sensors that are directly connected to dual motion sensors in the shop. There are two anti-aircraft .50 caliber machine guns welcoming anyone that enters the shop. If you do enter, there is a flame thrower waiting behind the stoprage door. Upon opening the storage door, the machine guns will shoot 25 rounds on each direction carefully missing the precious dime but assure a kill. the guns will shoot anything that moves until it stops moving. I tend to use this type of security when I drive to Safeway.

My rotary is currently protected by 5 laser sensors that are directly connected to dual motion sensors in the shop. There are two anti-aircraft .50 caliber machine guns welcoming anyone that enters the shop. If you do enter, there is a flame thrower waiting behind the stoprage door. Upon opening the storage door, the machine guns will shoot 25 rounds on each direction carefully missing the precious dime but assure a kill. the guns will shoot anything that moves until it stops moving. I tend to use this type of security when I drive to Safeway.

planet apex alright! haha