My new 1200 ( more pics page 3 )

Yellow_Feva

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The hood for a Datsun 1200 is the ONLY sheet metal available from an American dealership, as I have asked about every piece on the front of the car! Part# 65100-H1000 supersedes to F5100-G1902 and costs about $290.00, my parts guy ordered one for a customer about 6 months ago, took about 5 weeks and yes it was shiny black. The price may seem a bit steep, but if you would like a 1200 hood without the splits on both sides of the front curves, and the underside bracing failing - not just the seam sealer, but having a stack of washers under the hinges on both sides in an attempt to bring it level with the cowl, and the rust around the hood latch and ... And maybe the hood won't flex quite so much at 75MPH and it will be straight! Perhaps I should buy one, or is it an air compressor or wire-fed welder or ...I know there was something I was gonna buy!

but having a stack of washers under the hinges on both sides in an attempt to bring it level with the cowl

Doug, so this is a common problem with the 1200's? My hood is in ok shape, however it sits lower in the rear than the cowl. I was considering doing exactly this... adding a couple washers. :blink:

Dale.

Yes it is a common problem, the bracing after 40 years begins to fail along with the sheet metal cracking and splitting-fatigue. I would washers or a shim to get to the correct thickness and then cut a piece out of flat stock. The idea is to support the hinge base where it fastens to the hood if possible. Finding the right thickness of material maybe challenging, and each side of the hood may need a different thickness. Yellow Feva what a great car, with a good history- I hope you drive the SH*T out of it, that's what a 1200 is all about!

Yellow Feva what a great car, with a good history- I hope you drive the SH*T out of it, that's what a 1200 is all about!

Will do bro.

Im getting her ready to take her to every meet I can.

At the moment im coming up with a plan to bring her back to 100% with some reupholstered interiors maybe the stock white who knows :rolleyes:, A nice paint job including engine bay with a nice wire tuck so I can make that A14 pop, wheels already on their way 15x8 and a nice fender roll and pull so I can tuck them in.

• 2 weeks later...

Quik update, rolled all 4 fenders and I can gladly say that the 15x8 0 offset wheels fit perfectly.

Will upload some pics tomorrow, ive been dealing with the damn carb and its floats and some ground cables. :angry:

Here a teaser also u can see the new front badge...

IMG_0195.jpg

I will post a fender rolling thread with the before and after pics, and I was able to fit the 15x8 in front with no negative camber.

I actually found these on ebay and the price was right so I took the plunge.

The problem with those usually is that they stand straight up. And will likely foul the hood whilst opening and closing. :huh:

Also, the OEM mirrors are spring loaded so they do less damage to the fender if they get bumped.

See how the OEM mirrors "lean" out away from the hood?

crap_020.JPG

Maybe if you can make an angled "shim" to go under it? Thought about that for my car too, just ended up biting the (very expensive) bullet and got JDM mirrors instead.

I got them but there actually short so I think im just gonna order a new set like the te27 and celica ones but spring loaded.

post-7149-1273135680_thumb.jpg

• 7 months later...