L320

old fart

:cool:I just bought a 65 L320 and want to see if anyone has every installed a 240SX engine and trans. in one? I plan on making it into a Rat Rod roadster pickup. So I do not mind doing some cutting and welding.

Any idea??

Thanks

The Old Fart

Prescott AZ

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't heard of anyone doing that, only some J13, A14, etc. newer but smaller Datsun engines.

But if you cut and weld, just about anything will fit. The KA24DE is a great engine!

Thanks for the input. I need to get out my tape measure and do some home work.

I would think a KA24 or VG30 would be a perfect match for a 320 from a power standpoint. Put a carb'd VG in there with a modified stock air cleaner and I think that would look pretty sweet. Of course, that is in a world where there is room in there for all that, which I have no clue about.

I would think a KA24 or VG30 would be a perfect match for a 320 from a power standpoint. Put a carb'd VG in there with a modified stock air cleaner and I think that would look pretty sweet. Of course, that is in a world where there is room in there for all that, which I have no clue about.

Thanks to all for the thoughts. I do have a AMC 360V8 in the shop with a T5 trans that I could use also. Might take a lot of cutting to fit...........

For size and weight, CA18DE is always better than KA24DE.

But there is no substitute for cubic inches:

CA18DE: 125 HP (USA specification)

KA24DE: 155 HP

And with the CA, you need to rev it up higher. The KA you don't need to shift so often.

I went out to a local Pull-A-Part and took a tape measure to any rear wheel drive cas and PU I could find. They did not have a240SX, but did have a 200SX. The KA24E would fit I think. Dose any one know how much longer a KA24DE would be? All I could find one in was a front drive car. It looks like a 1991 Nissan pickup would be the simpest to work with. Lots of parts to work with.Any thoughts?

Thanks for all the input.

Tha Old Fart.

If you are worried about the length, don't bother. It's too long to fit in a stock 320 engine bay with radiator. But if you modify it, you can fit it.

Pickups didn't come with KA24DE, but only the lower HP SOHC version.

I've heard the pickup KAs are longer than the 240SX KAs.

• 3 months later...

Update 3/21/2012. I bought a 91 mustang 2.5L twin plug 4 cyl. with a T5 trans. for the 320. Nothing like I started looking at, but should puse the little Datson just fine. Hope to be able to post some photos soon.

The Old Fart