2500 pounds of 4 wheel drive furry !

I have always wanted one also. I never thought i would own one. Next time your up here let me know we can roll it.

I cant decide if i want the used set of shifter cables for 150 (money is tight) or hold out and wait for new ones for 250

DO IT RIGHT ONCE... save a bit longer and buy new cables you wont be sorry in the end :D

I tell you what Mikey the next time Im up there I really hope Im not coming back to California planning on staying if everything go's right.... then we can go for a ride in yours then in my Subby then we can switch ;) :cool:

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks very tidy :cool: They are fun cars to drive for sure!

Go easy on the gearbox though, had a few friends fry theirs... the 4wd box is often compared to plastic.

If you haven't already, check the transfer case oil level; Its oil is separate from the gearbox and is often overlooked.

Just treat it right (no dry blacktop sliding!) and it should hold up. Good score!

Wish I had shopping basket full o turbo parts <_< .

they are conversation pieces only 2 are still good

Looks very tidy :cool: They are fun cars to drive for sure!

Go easy on the gearbox though, had a few friends fry theirs... the 4wd box is often compared to plastic.

If you haven't already, check the transfer case oil level; Its oil is separate from the gearbox and is often overlooked.

Just treat it right (no dry blacktop sliding!) and it should hold up. Good score!

I have my sr car for burn out's

score one point for me finally got around to installing my cables. It is nice having all gears. Now I just need to figure out what the grinding noise is. I can't tell if it is the savvier warped and gouged rear rotors or a wheel bearing, I like how the guy we picked the car up from said he just replaced all the brakes and rotor's. the front's are new but the rears are jacked. I am hoping one of the hub's are not toast if it is a bad bearing

so i pulled the hub apart and the inside bearing was toast some one cut the bearing spacer with a grinder to get it off instead of using a press.

2012-01-03165408.jpg

this spacer is what set's the preload for the wheel bearings. now when you get every thing put together you torque the hub at 150 ft pounds. I think that with this spacer being cut it is throwing off the preload and destroying the inside bearing. SO i ordered one from mazda today I am hoping it is not nla

• 2 weeks later...

well got the car together drove it to work last week it did amazing in the snow and slush. The car has a rumble at about 35 to 40 mph So I went to slowdat's to figure out what it was. jacked the car up, rear wheel bearings are good set the car down after checking out the rear and noticed that the front driver side spindle nut was un staked. I jacked up the front torqued it to spec. and the bearing was toast. So I paid phil a visit at work bought some bearings pulled the front hub apart and found this

this is the part of the hub where the out side bearing rides. The measurement in the pic is in spec

2012-01-19200632.jpg

this is where the inside bearing sits notice the difference

2012-01-19200618.jpg

The bearing just flopped around in there.

From what I can tell The previous owner found the problem and instead of fixing it threw a bearing in it and sold it to us.

So I got a used hub pressed it all together and fixed that issue. unfortunately i still have a rumble at 35. I think it is the tires from sitting for so long in the same spot.

On another note i got it side ways on a tight right hander today and it feel's weird having the rear kick out and the front pull forward at the same time

'90s Corollas are notorious for spinning the hubs like that. Dorman offers a replacement. Maybe they have one for the 323 too...if it happens again.

Need 4-wheel burnout pics!

ever since I was a teenager i have dreamed of 4wd slides in this car. But $wd burn outs are the quickest way to kill the transmission on these cars=( now in the dirt is another story!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

got a clam shell for the sway bar. Still have not replaced the busted one. I have been trying to focus all my time on the dime before i tear in to this car.

I turned the boost down to the stock 7 pounds but with the bigger exhaust i am pushing 10.

The car was leaning out in 4th and 5th under heavy load and knocking.I talked to a couple of gtx rally guys and they told me if i keep running it like that i will burn a valve.

After turning down the boost I lost quit a bit of low end grunt but gained a nice amount of top end.

I am going to get the ecu re flashed for a $160.00 so i can run 14 pounds again. it should pull pretty good with proper fuel in the upper rpm's. I need to replace the rear rotors they are warped and driving me nut's. The Awesome engineers at mazda built these cars with a captive rotor So when i change the rotors I have to pull the hub apart and remove the bearings. So it is usually a good idea to change the bearings while you are in there since it is such a pain (it's realy not that bad after you have done it a couple times).

Now for the fun stuff !

Yesterday I was pushing it through a corner to see what it would do and i discovered that if i push it through the corner and get the wheels to push at the beginning of the apex of the turn (at high speed in the rain) If i let of a bit and re apply foot to floor I can feel the front wheels pull me through the corner as the rear wheels push out and slid around the corner. It is so much fun! I tried this on the same corners I use to drift my 510 around. with the gtx I can attack the corner at almost 2x the speed of the 510. Don't get me wrong I am not saying the gtx is more fun then the 510. I would say they are equal amount of fun just in a different way. Now if I could only get my sr car to hook up like the gtx!

• 2 weeks later...

HAHA! Those 323 GTXs are way cool! I love awd turbo cars. Would like to have 1 of each.....impulse rs, 323gtx, celica all trac..I have already been knee deep in DSMs and audi quattros,, so thats been fun!

Your car is really clean and sharp. Now show us some pics of the 1200 and gtx posing together.

• Like 1

well on my way to go rc crawling with 808da6 and city hunter i punched it around a corner and herd a pop and broke a swaybar bracket in the rear

now the car feels all loose

2012-02-11164153.jpg

hope fully it wont be hard to find

hey i gotta a 2.2 comp and a scaler i crawl her ein olympia... sorry to here about your troubles