Build thread for L20B/L20DE, LZKA20/24E, something...

HRH

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I need to go visit that OZDAT site, have a circle track one I check for most stuff, it's pretty accurate. So anyway, went to the gun show today. Didn't buy any guns, but I did buy a sign for the garage door:

gunshow1.jpg

And even better, at the flea market in the next bay, I found this!!!! The Cars Candy-O LP! Booyah! Record was unscratched!

gunshow2.jpg

And now on to the cooler stuff. Got all this back from Sunwest on Friday. This is actually the L20 for Regy's motor build of his 510, the one I'm giving him in exchange for all the bodywork needed on mine.

regyl20a.jpg

regyl20b.jpg

regyl20c.jpg

regyl20d.jpg

This is the new engine stand I need to assemble tonight. Same as the one right next to it! Harbor Freight, can't go wrong for $60. Never had any issues with their stands. Built two motors on the other orange one.

Oh god look at that flywheel. Fap

Haha, it's just a standard 30 lb dinner plate. I should have one lightened while I'm building my motor.

Circle track sites, look up Day Motorsports in Tyler TX. Yes, I know it's Texas, but hey, they have good prices and haven't had any problems ordering from them. Think it's daymotorsports.com

Well, today I came to a conclusion:

I want the 510 on the road to use by Canby.

I was thinking more and more about the turbo/supercharger setup and started getting costs together. Finally figured out it's going to cost me way more to build a turbo motor than I currently have. Compound that by the fact that my roommate will be moving out here before too long so I'll be losing $350/month.

Considering I'm probably not going to get another roommate to replace him (unless my Japanese bride shows up ;) )I'll have even less money.

So I'm contemplating what motor I want to build at the moment. Going back to NA, looking for decent power. Can still use either the SR pistons with a closed chamber head, or the KA24DE or KA24E pistons I have with either head, KAE or KADE, or L20B with KA head or Z22 with KA24 pistons and L or KA head. Double cam would be cool and fairly easy to do. However, I have more than enough parts for an L build though it doesn't have as much power potential as a KADE head does.

I'll be thinking on it during the next few days and probably won't figure it out until I have all the pieces. Looking into KA double cam heads and intake manifolds/etc. So far, it's a lot easier to get a KAE head or just use the L head. I also would like to use the new manifold Joe made for me, but if I don't, I don't.

So that's where we are now.

Okay, so I think I've figured out a combination that will work. Figure I'll use the same block I currently have, bore it to 86mm, yank the crank out of the Z22, put the SR pistons on that, get the extra crank stroke. Sticking with the L head because dammit, I have the new manifold, I don't have to buy anything, and there's nothing wrong with my head. Going to accept I won't get as much power out of it as putting on a KADE head, but oh well.

So we'll have a 2.1 liter as a result with somewhere in the mid 10:1 range depending on a few factors I haven't calculated yet. I think that will yield impressive results. Hopefully enough to get in the 175-180 hp range. And a buttload of torque with the extra 6mm of stroke.

And here's some pictures of starting to scrape the floor of asphalt coating. Going to do black Duplicolor bedliner on the floor pan to seal it away from moisture and ickyness. Seems to be less thick than the Herculiner version, and cheaper too, but still urethane and rubber. Also got Regy's crank in today. Need to get a seal set at work, seems I forgot that part of the equation.

Found a bunch of rust starting under the asphalt coating, really glad I decided to do this project. I hate it when things rot from the inside out.

eleanorgutting.jpg

floorpan1.jpg

floorpan2.jpg

floorpan3.jpg

floorpan4.jpg

regymotorbearings1.jpg

regymotorbearings2.jpg

You guys think I got it hot enough in the garage? :D That's fahrenheit, not celcius now! The old carpet and insulation from the 510 burns really well too. It's been going all day while I've dinked around cutting apart filters as seen in the general section.

garagestove.jpg

The old asphalt coating peeled off even easier in the front footwells.

floorpan5.jpg

floorpan6.jpg

Haha, there's only 6 in that pile! And two others, one for Regy's motor and one off mine. :) The rest of the garage averages from 55-75 degrees. It's not insulated, so the far entrance where the stove isn't is still 55. Pretty good for uninsulated though. Just takes a lot of wood, but very comfortable now. Floor is still 48 degrees at the coldest spot.

Oh yeah, my bodyman Regy said dry ice makes it super easy to get asphalt coating off, haven't tried it yet. I may under the rear seat area, it never got much moisture and is rather resistant to peeling off.

Hells yeah! I'll document that. Almost started sanding tonight, but it's getting too late, I'm tired. Did finish getting up the rear seat asphalt. Unfortunately the local Safeway didn't have dry ice, so I just went at it with my Mac scraper and a hammer. Worked pretty well, little bit of effort. Still have to get the gas pedal base out of the front too, going to grind the bolts out, go figure they're kinda rusty and the impact driver just stripped them out.

floorpan9.jpg

I would imagine that's what they are, they came with the house. Used them as spacers, blocks, engine holders, all sorts of things. Rather odd, but they've served their purpose quite well I think!

Started going at it with the DA tonight. Slow going, ended up doing a lot with the 2" angle grinder, especially in the "X" of the floor pan. Lots of rust to dig out. I want it all gone before I coat it. Picked up another can of metal etching primer today, may use some rust converter on some of the hard to reach places.

Anyway, tired of that and started getting the wiring harness out so I can replace it. Now the only problem is the dome light wiring. It's hung up somewhere and I probably need to remove the headliner. Unfortunately it's already ripped in one section and it's probably brittle which means removal means destroyal, and I like having a headliner. Redoing it would be a nice though, but I'm thinking those are spendy. Anyway, giving up for tonight, going to go at it again tomorrow.

floorpan10.jpg

floorpan11.jpg