Wheels that work on 411's? Help!

Yeah, all my car's Nissan ID tags that I have says RL411, including the SSS one (of course there is also the PL411 one). According to Dan, from Rallye, the guy that sells Roadster parts, the 5 main bearings engine advantages are overrated. I also checked with some Datsun engine rebuilders and they say that 3 main engines have better lubrication at high RPM's. I have not driven one 5 main just yet, The engines that I have, one, my daily driver starts with 2 and it is SAE, but the other two engines I have, one original from the SSS I'm working on has an initial number 5 ,and it is metric (assumed to be 5 main) and the other one is 8, also metric.

What I do not like about SAE engines is that they have this little o ring mounted on the valve stems, instead of the hat type viton seals on the metric ones. What I did was to replace the o rings and also I installed some aftermarket seal on top of the valve stem. It seems to be working fine, so far. I got them from Ebay and they where about 10 bucks. When I did the head job combustion chambers were all fouled up with carbonized crud.

My to cars are shift stick 4 on floor, but I heard there was other versions around the world with front bench seat and three on tree. Does your car has a bench seat on the front or individuals?

The Payen engine gasket kit [i can give you the Payen number if you want it] has the improved hat type valve stem seals that are spring loaded for additional sealing. It is applicable to both metric and SAE engines. 2 part numbers, one has extra parts for the 1968 and a half metric roadster, just toss the parts you don't need. My car is 2 front buckets, very comfortable and adequately springy for long distance or sporty driving. The main advantage in my opinion of the 5 main bearing metric engine is that NISMO used to offer a 2 liter upgrade parts kit that maintained the external 1.6 liter configuration but gave much gutsier performance.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Payen engine gasket kit [i can give you the Payen number if you want it] has the improved hat type valve stem seals that are spring loaded for additional sealing. It is applicable to both metric and SAE engines. 2 part numbers, one has extra parts for the 1968 and a half metric roadster, just toss the parts you don't need. My car is 2 front buckets, very comfortable and adequately springy for long distance or sporty driving. The main advantage in my opinion of the 5 main bearing metric engine is that NISMO used to offer a 2 liter upgrade parts kit that maintained the external 1.6 liter configuration but gave much gutsier performance.

Very interesting. According to Dan from Rallye, there is a need to modify the SAE head to install the hat type seals:

http://www.datsunroadster.us/PIC_PAGES/PARTS_INFO_PAGES/valve_seal_info_16.htm

He actually have a semi-hat type seal that was intended for ther 1500 and 1600 SAE Roadster/411 (1600) engine, but it is pretty expensive, since he is the only one that still has them (17 bucks per seal), and regular hat type seals are too tall, so they actually end up affecting spring compression (they cost about 8 bucks). This might not be important, but who knows what could happen. In any case mi solution works fine, and there was no need to machine the head, but I would certainly love to learn more details about the Payen engine gasket you are talking about.

The little O-ring seals I used were for Chevy engines and I got thousands for 10 dollars, so basically I'm set for life regarding this little suckers and they are practically useless, soI install them out of obsesive compulsion, the other seals that ride on the valve guides cost me just 10 dollars, they are also spring loaded and since there were intended for 8 cylider engines, one set does two cars.

A 2000 engine would be nice. My little car is peppy and have lots of torque with a fourth gear that seems to have power to go on an on, so I am really pleased. Way better than the PL411 1300 I used to have 20 some years ago when I got it, repaired and finally got stolen when in I was in College. In any case with a 2000 engine I would certainly have to install a 5th gear later Roadster tranny, probably modiffy or flip the transmission crossmember, make an extra mount, shorten the driveshaft and marbe another differential or just do the differential and stay with four gears?

Thanks for the imput.

Very interesting. According to Dan from Rallye, there is a need to modify the SAE head to install the hat type seals:

http://www.datsunroadster.us/PIC_PAGES/PARTS_INFO_PAGES/valve_seal_info_16.htm

He actually have a semi-hat type seal that was intended for ther 1500 and 1600 SAE Roadster/411 (1600) engine, but it is pretty expensive, since he is the only one that still has them (17 bucks per seal), and regular hat type seals are too tall, so they actually end up affecting spring compression (they cost about 8 bucks). This might not be important, but who knows what could happen. In any case mi solution works fine, and there was no need to machine the head, but I would certainly love to learn more details about the Payen engine gasket you are talking about.

The little O-ring seals I used were for Chevy engines and I got thousands for 10 dollars, so basically I'm set for life regarding this little suckers and they are practically useless, soI install them out of obsesive compulsion, the other seals that ride on the valve guides cost me just 10 dollars, they are also spring loaded and since there were intended for 8 cylider engines, one set does two cars.

A 2000 engine would be nice. My little car is peppy and have lots of torque with a fourth gear that seems to have power to go on an on, so I am really pleased. Way better than the PL411 1300 I used to have 20 some years ago when I got it, repaired and finally got stolen when in I was in College. In any case with a 2000 engine I would certainly have to install a 5th gear later Roadster tranny, probably modiffy or flip the transmission crossmember, make an extra mount, shorten the driveshaft and marbe another differential or just do the differential and stay with four gears?

Thanks for the imput.

The full gasket sets are Payen, distributed by REPCO.

DATSUN FJ090 is the early set [even lists the Silvia CSPL311 now that's a rarity] and has the basic valve stem seals.

The later DATSUN FJ093 has the improved seals with circumferential compression springs[they fit my 1967 RL411 with no modification] and includes extra gaskets for the later roadster thermostat housing.

They are not kidding about being a full gasket set. You even get the gasket for the waterpump body to rear cover in addition to the pump to engine block one. The head gasket has the original Nissan type copper O-ring seal for the water passage to the head, current Nissan dealer [and Beck Arnley] head gaskets lack this feature, prevents ultimate leakage into the number 4 cylinder.

The full gasket sets are Payen, distributed by REPCO.

DATSUN FJ090 is the early set [even lists the Silvia CSPL311 now that's a rarity] and has the basic valve stem seals.

The later DATSUN FJ093 has the improved seals with circumferential compression springs[they fit my 1967 RL411 with no modification] and includes extra gaskets for the later roadster thermostat housing.

They are not kidding about being a full gasket set. You even get the gasket for the waterpump body to rear cover in addition to the pump to engine block one. The head gasket has the original Nissan type copper O-ring seal for the water passage to the head, current Nissan dealer [and Beck Arnley] head gaskets lack this feature, prevents ultimate leakage into the number 4 cylinder.

Thanks! it is really good to know all this.