Ultimate Datsun F-10? The "F10-R" Hypothetical

fisch

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Subaru drivetrain. A classic Imrpeza would work... They were produced from '93 until 2001, but the engine/drivetrain is essentially the same between all Subarus (or ones produced between '93 and 2008, not sure about newer ones). Or, if it's too long, a Justy might work as well.

I've actually toyed with this idea myself for one of my trucks... I think all Subarus had either a 4WD or AWD option until '98, and then AWD became standard. I don't have any real experience aside from the Impreza and Forester, but most engines are horizontally-opposed four-cylinder, in either 1.8, 2.0, 2.2, or 2.5 L displacements. There were also (IIRC) 3.0 and 3.3 L H-6 engines available in some of the cars. Turbocharging is easy (and quite common), supercharging is possible (especially with a USDM Previa supercharger), and I think just about any transmission (automatic, 4-speed, 5-speed, 6-speed) will bolt up to any engine. Only real differences in engines are ECU modules. Same applies to brakes, axles, most suspension components...

I saw a thread on the Subaru forum about someone using a classic Impreza drivetrain in a BMW 2002... I'll see if I can find the link.

Edit: Here's the link: "Bemaru"

It's actually a Legacy, not an Impreza, so I think the wheelbase is longer, but he made it work... The Subaru engines will make enough power too, if you're willing to put in the time/money. I think there's a few guys local to me running around 250 WHP, and I think there's one guy closer to 400 (but don't quote me on that).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This is what I don't understand about things like this...................If you were able to get your hands on a GTIR, WHY would you even contemplate cutting it up? It's a perfect drivers car as it is. Seems to me you'd be ruining a sweet ride, to make a crappy ride a little better.

This is what I don't understand about things like this...................If you were able to get your hands on a GTIR, WHY would you even contemplate cutting it up? It's a perfect drivers car as it is. Seems to me you'd be ruining a sweet ride, to make a crappy ride a little better.

True enough! But in this case, since it is already chopped up, you don't have to feel bad about sticking it in a F10!

Plus people do this so they can upgrade their own state side Pulsars, without the expense of shopping a whole car from Japan and the hassle of registering a JDM car in the US that is this new.

There is a sweet real JDM Pulsar GTI-r for sale in Boston right now. Already street legal and registered in MA. But the price is 15K.

But you grab this pallet of parts for under 3K, find a f10 which, when you can find them, you can usually get them under 2k sometimes under 1k (lol) and for less than 5K in parts, have the baddest F10 on the freaking planet. In history. Way more unique than even a GTiR. :D

I think an l series, ca, ka, sr, anything rwd swapped in would be a huge improvement . And a simple leaf sprung solid axle, even a 210 donor would drasticly improve the "cool" factor. The only thing I dont like about the f10 is that its fwd, and well the wheel wells but it looks great with the zg's

the hassle of registering a JDM car in the US that is this new

You can't register the GTiR in USA, not unless they make a mistake. Yes, it meets the EPA smog exemption, but not the DOT safety exemption.

They could confiscate that one which MASS. registered. Buyer beware. They confiscated R32s from guys after owning them for more than a year (only the R34 had an exemption, or was it the other way 'round?).

You can't register the GTiR in USA, not unless they make a mistake. Yes, it meets the EPA smog exemption, but not the DOT safety exemption.

They could confiscate that one which MASS. registered. Buyer beware. They confiscated R32s from guys after owning them for more than a year (only the R34 had an exemption, or was it the other way 'round?).

I wondered GG. I was surprised that MA, of all places would let you title it. They aren't exactly free thinkers at the RMV here. He says, "The car is Mass titled, registered, and insured using the Japanese 11 digit serial number...no vin swap or any of that BS"

I always thought, if one state titles it, it means the vin checks out, the car passes... Then you go to a new state and they just honor the previous state.

Really I think it matters what clerk you get at the counter.

I know here if you drive 30 miles outside of Portland the DMV there will just kinda smudge over things.

• 2 weeks later...

If only!!!! G-damn why can I have hit the lottery by now.

http://providence.craigslist.org/ctd/2821124316.html

It might be this one that was on JNC a while back, cause really, how many F10s can still be in New England or in RI?

http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/2011/10/03/kidney-anyone-1977-datsun-f10-wagon/

1977-Datsun-F10-Cherry.jpg

• 10 months later...

Is Fisch still here? because I really need an update on this... ^_^

Me too... I love f10 wagons. Theres that one that was for sale local to me here not too long ago (week maybe?). It seemed like the price is right too. The f10 is just quirky enough to almost overlook the FWD and rock it as a second vehicle.