My 77 KC 620

Farmer Joe

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

alright! finally a day off.

went for a drive today, and the dead spot in my carb from drivin on the freeway all the time finally worked itself out. so now when i punch it, it actually goes through the rpms alot smoother. its nice lol.

so when i was on the drive today, i pulled on to the highway and started getting on it, took it to prolly about 6 grand, hit second gear and took it to about 6500 i think. when i hit third, clutch starts slippin really bad and the clutch pedal feels funny now. so i got to pull over and the clutch is slipping so bad that i cant even slow down by downshifting.

finally get stopped and shut it down. i checked out the clutch pedal to see what the deal was with it. everything under that dash looked good. popped the hood and checked to see if maybe the pushrod on the slave cylinder wasnt in the little hole on the clutch fork and maybe wedged up. that checked out fine.

everything looked okay. i said to myself the clutch disc prolly shrapped out, but when i fired the truck back up and let the clutch out in 1st, it jumped forward and killed it. so i was confused then. started the truck back up and took off. felt just fine... the clutch actually grabs alot harder now. not sure why that is, but i aint complaining.

anyways, i also finally got that 78-79 kingcab frame. the guy came and dropped it for for me. so now its time to sart looking for a another kingcab body and bed, and KA24. gotta start lookin for a toyota rearend now too. ive got a couple pics of the frame ill post up here.

DSCF0335.jpg

DSCF0336.jpg

DSCF0337.jpg

DSCF0338.jpg

and i got some shots of the kingcab today too. i really need to get a hole cut in the bed for the rearend. lol it bangs like it did before i notched it lol.

here it is in all its filthy goodness... lol

DSCF0331.jpg

DSCF0332.jpg

DSCF0334.jpg

i think the bumperettes look pretty damn good when theyre almost draggin.

anyways, just thought that i get a good update up.

more to come...

• 3 months later...

wow, can believe it been since november since i updated this post. hmmm

anyways, figured id update a little. truck is still running good. i did an actual oil change on it the other day. it needed it. also changed the oil in the trans after the little damage it suffered last week. all is semi good tho. still have no problems with 1st through 5th, but reverse is almost done now.

oh yeah, i finally broke 100,000 miles on it! lol totally forgot about that. check this out!! haha

IMG00019-20100207-1703.jpg

crappy pic, but i was on the freeway, and had to react fast or i would have missed it.

other than that, i really havnt done alot to it. had to put a new battery in it this morning, but i got another under warranty.

so to finish off for today, heres a video of the drive to sonic. i loves me a chicken strip sandwich!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcoD9ap6cTk

well more shit going wrong now...

just got a new battery day before yesterday and the damn thing has already popped. got home from doing to errands today, and i head something under thehood kinda making a percolating sound. kinda figured it was the radiator, but i checked and found the battery all bloated out, both capps popped off and the seem for the top of the casing separated spewing acid every where.

great...

so for some reason the damn thing was overcharging, which is prolly what killed my last battery too.

so i took the voltage regulator off, since ive had issues with it in the past. a while back i had to put a spare on the truck, but it was from a 74 and the plug for the wiring had to be retrofitted form the original.

heres what i found...

first off heres how the wiring was done. you can see hoe i put the different plug on the older regulator.

IMG00053-20100311-1813.jpg

looks like i need to find this a better place to stay. ultimately its gonna need a new regulator im thinkin. this one is getting to be pretty far gone.

IMG00051-20100311-1812.jpg

so i started un-taping the connections, and found this one. those two wires with no wire stickin out of them were connected at one time.

IMG00050-20100311-1812.jpg

when i peeled the tap back, the wires fell out of the tape and i was left with this. a big ol' pile of corrosion. the wasnt any of the wire left.

IMG00048-20100311-1811.jpg

so i took all the connections apart and found quite a bit of corrosion of alot of the others. got all the connection cut back and redone. as of right now i dont have any shrink wrap stuff this type of application, so i had to use tape again. i used a lighter to get the tape to shrink a little tho. so itll be okay for a while longer.

all clean and taped up.

IMG00054-20100311-1831.jpg

so now ive gotta go get this battery replaced. again. im gonna get a multi meter hooked up to the truck too, and see whats going on with the charging system now. after i got it all put back together, i pulled the battery cable while it was running and it didnt die, so i know that the alternator is working well.

more to come...

• 1 month later...

ahhh, once again a day off to work on the truck...

ive had alot of shit going on with this thing the past couple weeks.

i had that great incident with that shitty autozone alternator. after my last post in here i had to also get a new voltage regulator. got a new style solid state regulator. its been working pretty good. i only had one time going home from work and the charge light came on for a mile or 2 and then went off. :blink:

so here a little more recently i got pulled over for my lights on the truck not working. my front turn signal and my brake light werent working. so i got a fix it ticket for that. took me a couple days to figure out what was wrong with the brake lights. i ended up just tearing down the whole taillight assemblies and cleaning all the grounds. put all new fuses in the truck and replaced the brake switch. now ive got everything working correctly, so no more worrying about if im gonna get a ticket.

and then last week my brakes went out while i was coming home from work on the freeway. fun to drive when you only have one drum working. :blink: the last couple days before this happend i had noticed my wheel was gettin all greasy from the inside out. i was gonna rebuild them probably today lol if it wouldnt have failed. but it gets better.

so i get the drum off in like 2 seconds, which suprised me... glad i got a 5lb sledge ;) as soon as i cracked that drum off the hub and it kinda cocked sideways, it started draining brake fluid out. when i got the drum off this is what i found...

2010-05-02151603.jpg

2010-05-02151637.jpg

2010-05-02151622.jpg

so it took all the brake parts off and pulled the cylinder apart. the pistons just fell out basically. grabbed the rebuilt kit i had and it was the wrong size. theyre for a bigger cylinder. from here i had not choice but to see if the cylinders in the rolling frame i have were any good.

when i got it all torn apart i did find a good cylinder. so i stuck that puppy in my truck put it all back together and bled it out. the brake work better than they ever have, so i guess something went right. lol

oh yeah, check out what i found all stuck to the greasy inside of my wheel...

2010-05-02151540.jpg

not really sure if you can tell from the cellphone pic, but thats a little dead bird... :blink: i have no idea how it got there, or how it would even get stuck there lol.

so to tell another story, i ended up getting pulled over again, on the freeway, by a state trooper... ive never been pulled over on the freeway before, so i pulled way the fuck over. the trooper comes up and the first thing he says to me is "does this thing have hydraulics on it?" just tell him no, it just this low. he seem really surprised that i said that and then he tells me that he wants me to get out of the truck...

i get out and he tells me to come around the back of the truck. from here he goes into telling me and showing me that my license plate is too close to the ground, and that the bumperettes are too close too. whats more, is he then says "id bet money that if you popped a tire, which can happen really at anytime, that these bumper would drag on the ground and make sparks." when he was finished with his schpeal he then tells me that he didnt think i was wearing my seatbelt. i hadnt been, so i told him straight up that i wasnt.

i got a warning and was told that i had to raise the truck 3 to 4 inches, and a $10 ticket for no seatbelt. so now i gotta get somethin figured out so i can just get the truck bagged. no more fucking around now. i dont wanna get tickets on a static drop lol.

anyways, just had a couple new pictures of the truck i wanted to put up. kinda washed it today. first time in prolly like 6 or 7 months.

2010-05-07164146.jpg

2010-05-07164906.jpg

2010-05-07164457.jpg

2010-05-07164717.jpg

i worked on the truck a little bit more yesterday. im gonna be taking it to the first bigger minitruck show here locally, so im gonna be cleanin it up over the next week.

so first off, i finally leveled it out. its always had a weird rake since i lowered it, and was higher on the driver side. it would level out when i sat my 270lb ass in it, but looked funny just sitting without anyone in it. as of now im finally tucking all 4 tires on the truck. be it just a little in the front, but its legit.

2010-05-14211040.jpg

2010-05-14211113.jpg

and then i cleaned up the interior some. the stock carpet was getting pretty shabby, and the insulation fiber junk under the carpet was all stinky. so i cut out the part on the floor, but left some of the carpet against the firewall. i had to have vacuumed up like 3 lbs of shit that was under the carpet.

from here i still have to paint the wheels centers black. i gotta polish the wheels also. and then i gotta compound rub the truck to make it all nice and shiny...

so more pics to come here shortly...

• 2 weeks later...

woot 3 day weekend!!

anyways, my shift has been pretty sloppy ever since i put the 5 speed in. always said id get around to fixing it. so finally got around to it lol.

i dont really have the cash to go and get some new bushings, so i got into my collection of washers and found a couple that sized up just right. also found a nice little aluminum shim to make it really nice and snug. now theres no rotational movement from the shifter anymore, and i can go down the freeway without having to listen to it rattle. :cool:

new washer and shim configuration lol...

e7b4b7f2.jpg

and said carpet modification...

aad77c6a.jpg

14f95b2c.jpg

aint nothin fancy, but its alot cleaner in the truck without that nasty carpet.

more to come...

• 5 weeks later...

well i had the passenger rear shock break the other day. busted the stud right iff the bottom. the shock had blown out a couple days eariler.

now i aint gonna put any more than like 5$ into this. started off by raiding the ubolt plates from my parts frame. the studs are bent on the airshocks on the bottom mount, so i gotta use the whole plate.

next, i cut the shock mount tab off the plate. plan is to section the mounts to lower them about 3in. ive already got all the metal cut out. its not really worth takin pics of a pile of metal.

tomorrow ill be welding up the shock mounts and getting them installed. im gonna go get some airhose, a tee fitting and some clamps too. oh and a schrader valve so i can use the airshocks.

just having rear shock travel in the back is gonna be nice. and the air shock will let me carry shit again lol...

pics later....

• Like 1

ahhh, once again a day off to work on the truck...

ive had alot of shit going on with this thing the past couple weeks.

i had that great incident with that shitty autozone alternator. after my last post in here i had to also get a new voltage regulator. got a new style solid state regulator. its been working pretty good. i only had one time going home from work and the charge light came on for a mile or 2 and then went off. :blink:

so here a little more recently i got pulled over for my lights on the truck not working. my front turn signal and my brake light werent working. so i got a fix it ticket for that. took me a couple days to figure out what was wrong with the brake lights. i ended up just tearing down the whole taillight assemblies and cleaning all the grounds. put all new fuses in the truck and replaced the brake switch. now ive got everything working correctly, so no more worrying about if im gonna get a ticket.

and then last week my brakes went out while i was coming home from work on the freeway. fun to drive when you only have one drum working. :blink: the last couple days before this happend i had noticed my wheel was gettin all greasy from the inside out. i was gonna rebuild them probably today lol if it wouldnt have failed. but it gets better.

so i get the drum off in like 2 seconds, which suprised me... glad i got a 5lb sledge ;) as soon as i cracked that drum off the hub and it kinda cocked sideways, it started draining brake fluid out. when i got the drum off this is what i found...

2010-05-02151603.jpg

2010-05-02151637.jpg

2010-05-02151622.jpg

so it took all the brake parts off and pulled the cylinder apart. the pistons just fell out basically. grabbed the rebuilt kit i had and it was the wrong size. theyre for a bigger cylinder. from here i had not choice but to see if the cylinders in the rolling frame i have were any good.

when i got it all torn apart i did find a good cylinder. so i stuck that puppy in my truck put it all back together and bled it out. the brake work better than they ever have, so i guess something went right. lol

oh yeah, check out what i found all stuck to the greasy inside of my wheel...

2010-05-02151540.jpg

not really sure if you can tell from the cellphone pic, but thats a little dead bird... :blink: i have no idea how it got there, or how it would even get stuck there lol.

so to tell another story, i ended up getting pulled over again, on the freeway, by a state trooper... ive never been pulled over on the freeway before, so i pulled way the fuck over. the trooper comes up and the first thing he says to me is "does this thing have hydraulics on it?" just tell him no, it just this low. he seem really surprised that i said that and then he tells me that he wants me to get out of the truck...

i get out and he tells me to come around the back of the truck. from here he goes into telling me and showing me that my license plate is too close to the ground, and that the bumperettes are too close too. whats more, is he then says "id bet money that if you popped a tire, which can happen really at anytime, that these bumper would drag on the ground and make sparks." when he was finished with his schpeal he then tells me that he didnt think i was wearing my seatbelt. i hadnt been, so i told him straight up that i wasnt.

i got a warning and was told that i had to raise the truck 3 to 4 inches, and a $10 ticket for no seatbelt. so now i gotta get somethin figured out so i can just get the truck bagged. no more fucking around now. i dont wanna get tickets on a static drop lol.

anyways, just had a couple new pictures of the truck i wanted to put up. kinda washed it today. first time in prolly like 6 or 7 months.

Dang what is going on with the ISP?? I live up here in bonners ferry and my datsun and my buddys s-10 and his king cab are as low (s-10 is lower) that your truck and they dont hassle us here.......only bothering the 4x4 guys with wide tires mostly. Idaho has no bumper heigth laws, but the bottom of the plate has to be at least 12" from the ground. It is illegal to have any part of your vehicle other than the tires touch the roadway, and cops can give you a ticket for having a blowout if they determine it was due to faulty equipment (like bald tires) so there is that...........Oh and now we dont have cheap ol 10$ seatbelt tix here anymore......53 bux....Idaho is becoming the way of washington, oregon and cali unfortunately

well i havnt been able to find time with mine and my buddies schedule to get these shock mounts welded up.

i think ive got another buddy with a welder that will let me use his though... i guess im gonna help him weld up a rearend in an Rx7.

on another note tho, got some premium gas in the truck today. we have 93 octane shell v-power down the street from me. the truck responded pretty good with what i put in it. got kinda lead footed and burned up a little too much gas. but oh well...

okay! was finally able to get the new shock mounts welded up. they went together just like i planned. what i didnt plan on was how good it feels to have shocks that work!!

got some pics of the modded stock ubolt plate...

2010-06-29203004.jpg

2010-06-29202943.jpg

2010-06-29200850.jpg

2010-06-29200839.jpg

2010-06-29200806.jpg

2010-06-29200747.jpg

they do hang a wee bit low to the ground i found out. i got stuck trying to back out of my buddys driveway. also had some sparks fly off the truck on the way home... lol. i just need to pump the rear tires up a little more and ill be good.

im just so amazed how much better it makes the truck drives and feel. when i accelerate it does squat anymore. turns can now be made at over 10mph... lol

all in all, it was a good step forward in keeping the truck daily drivable. i love my datsun lol

now i just gotta get some airhose and some other little this and thats to get the air hooked up on the shocks. then ill be able to haul a little bit of a load.

ill get some more pics of them on the truck tomorrow. im prolly gonna catch some shit from some peeps on here about how low they are to the ground... whatev..

more to come...

WA, no seatbelt $108, My friend has a sky jacked 4X4 and gets pulled over all the time, but he has the rules and a tape measure. And he is one inch within all of the rules on purpose!! :lol: I used to get pulled over all the time, but a friend told me about the Law Enforcement Memorial plates, THEY WORK!!! I have passed more than a few cops with no issues!! :D

Niel they look good. I too am concerned about the shackle's hanging too low [on my wagon] so id like to see a pic sir :D

Also, did it lower the truck any more because of the shocks being bottomed out ?

Yeah ill definatly get a pic for ya.

As for the truck being lower, im sure it went down maybe a 1/4in. I stood in the bed and it looks like im just runnin into the bedfloor now. I gotta make the hole for the pumpkin a little bigger. just the prices for bein low as fuck on a static drop. so yeah, Itll prolly end up gettin another inch after everything settles in. I gotta get the air hooked up on these shocks lol...

I cant wait to drive to work tomorrow and see how it does...

mkay. finally home from work...

the truck rode great today. its so nice to have some stability in my suspension now.

lol i did end up covering a car behind me in sparks tho haha... but it shouldnt do that anymore lol

anyways, heres some pics...

2010-06-30212102.jpg

2010-06-30211812.jpg

yeah yeah i know the passenger side is on the ground in the pic. but that just cus im parked in the gutter...

but they work great. i looked at em just now and they look like theyre gonna hold up good.

more to come...

nah i dont wanna move the upper bar mount. id have to cut the bed to move it up and i wanna keep the cutting to the bed to a minimum. the most ill cut out will be just enough for the axle to come up when its bagged. im trying to spend as little money on this kinda shit so i can keep saving for valves, fittings and airlines.

i do admit that i wouldnt mind having the mounts a little shorter, but whats done is done. it works for now. works pretty damn well lol.

• 1 month later...

okay! update time!

got around to hookin up the airlines for the airshocks.. they work very well i must say. not very much really to tell other than i can get the backend of the truck raised up now...

heres a pic.. and a vid...

IMG_20100811_191016.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETplIgLEEvo

so now that i can get the truck more and 2 in off the ground, i got to lookin underneath... found something bad..

FxCam_1281578568292.jpg

my carrier bearing crossmember is on it last leg... lol. the crossmembers front edge has been drug off and then it looks like i hat something that bent it back. so now the rubber for my carrier bearing is cracked.

so time to get this one cut out and build a new one...

other than that, there hasnt really been alot goin on with it...it just the daily for now. im hopefully gonna look on a cheap z car or an rx7 here later in the year for a better daily so i can start workin on this thing...

more to come..

Right on Niel. Are you running an air tank to fill the shocks off a ball valve ?

& sux bout the X member. I busted mine a few years back on a manhole cover & made a new one using angle iron. The tricky part is cutting out the stock one. The fuel line runs right through it so be carefull & go slow. Look & see the carnage ...

ya just a tad off center......

3-30xmember2.jpg

this doesnt look right to me...

3-30xmember.jpg

reshaped E brake bracket........

4-3ebrakemech.jpg

& the new one. I bolted the E brake bracket to it.......

4-3newXmember.jpg

• Like 1