My 77 KC 620

Farmer Joe

i dont know how many people will chime in here, but whatever..

where should i put the restrictor in the loop?

right now, i have it at the end of the return line right be for it hits the tank.

would putting it right by the Tee by the carb be a better idea?

i remember mike posting the picture of the stock restrictor, and its up on the engine end, so im inclined to do the same...

thanks

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

done done and done...

this thing is one thing after the other.. fix one thing and 2 other things come up..

so i figured out the fuel pressure issue. the cheapo fuel pressure regulator was the issue. even on the 5.5psi setting, i could only get 2psi out of it.

take the regulator out of the picture, and bam theres 6psi now. i had to put another restrictor in the return line, but i have a constant 5psi even under full throttle conditions.

CAM00190_zpsc445a92e.jpg

also, when trying to get the fucker started, one of the relays on the fenderwell kept clicking, and it wouldnt start.

this came down to kinda redoing the harness on the passenger side. i relocated the relays a voltage regulator to the core support.

its much better.. i like it a lot more..

CAM00184_zps860ac2ed.jpg

CAM00185_zps238ba78d.jpg

CAM00187_zps0d41dce3.jpg

CAM00189_zpsb58fe560.jpg

lol... now were ready.

well see whats next...

• Like 1

alright, im home..

had a lifter start clicking again right before i got to caldwell.

it started on the freeway, and lasted all the way into town, and then went quiet.. meh, if its gonna break, then break already dammit.

on a good note though, it doesnt vapor lock or starve out anymore..

and it likes gas. a lot.. well see how it goes going to canby.. lol

• 3 weeks later...

dang, its been a while..

hope everyone got to look at it as much as they needed to at canby.

had to adjust the points once on the way back. other than that, the occasional lift makin noise, it went pretty good. did like 80-85 the most of the way. 

i havent done anything to the truck since being back. just drivin..

i did pick up a matchbox distributor at canby. also picked up the 240sx cam from jason.

found that the weber is jetted well for around sea level..

the cam should help a bit with the added lift, and the EI upgrade will prolly help a lot.

heres a video from today so i can compare next week..

more to come.

• Like 1

yeah, well have to do that!

so i keep having the issue with the lifters still..

started it up for work on monday and i get the normal start up clatter and 2 lifters that are collapsed..

soooo, im not sure where to go with this. it usually always clears up within a mile or so, but its annoying as fuck. stresses me out thinkin somethings gonna let go..

anyone had any experience with KAe lifters? ive not been able to find just the lifters. its a combo if a new rocker and the lifter..

im gonna talk to the dealership tomorrow and see what they say.

id really like to dump like 500 in the engine to get it rebuilt, but i need to get my corona running so i can park the subi..

gah... im starting to feel like adam, but just with no money or flatbed towtruck... lol

• Like 1

gah... im starting to feel like adam, but just with no money or flatbed towtruck... lol

:rofl:   :rofl:    :rofl:   :rofl:  :rofl:   :rofl:   :rofl:   :rofl:

ROTFFL!!! omg its sad but true.......... 

I deff get my $$ worth out of AAA 

• Like 1

Hit up the guys in our UtahNissans car club about this issue. Guess it's not uncommon for the KAs. You can rebuild them. I'll just copy and past the info I was given. Here's a link to the NICO Club site that has a write up on a DIY fix. http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/ka24e-ticking-lifters-repair.html

-Run like 1 pint of ATF in the engine oil for like 100 miles. Then change your oil. Should take care of it. My original lifters in my 240 took a shit because they got clogged up with plastic from the timing chain tensioner. You might wanna look into that.

-The timing chain tensioner and guides was a serious problem in the KA24e. It's not as bad as a problem in the DE but still a problem. Rebuilding/Cleaning them will be the only good fix.

-Sometimes a piece of the silicone gets detached and plugs an oil orifice.

thanks steve!

i bet its guide material getting stuck in em.. really, its only 2 lifters, i think.. i get an exhaust lifter that shits out and makes it dog out.. and then sometimes an intake lifter, and it just makes noise.

this thing makes a clatter like fierce sometimes when i fire it up.. it did it at canby a few times... so i know the oil pump and timing chain are done..

im kinda thinkin, since it doesnt smoke, that id put a timing kit and a new oil pump. wide has a 240 at the yard that has a single cam in it. if it has lower miles, i might just get the rockers and shafts from it since i already have the cam from it..

comes down to the money right now.. it wasnt really canby that sucked our cash, but newport. that place was spendy...

angelia found a datsun that she really likes and its $1000. it needs like a grand worth of work and parts too.  i have the 80 toyota corona that needs at least a new head. my subi needs a new frontend and tires.. $$$

the truck seems to be the only "okay" DD that i have right now.. funny how the project turns into you last resort.. lol

i think im gonna pull the valve cover and check out how bad the guides are.. ill report back with some oics if its worth a shit..

more to come.

ill prolly get ahold of ya next tue-wed..

i checked out the guides, and while they dont have deep grooves, the straight side is busted a the bottom.. has a ton of slack too..

im gonna get the oil pump and timing chain ordered here in a few weeks.

• Like 1