tailgate

socaldatsun

Hey they guy i bought the truck off of has a few parts i still need to pick up, onf of wich is a tail gate and a trans. I tried looking how is the tailgate attached? i just see two downwards hooks or loops on the back, does it just pop in ot is their hard ware that needs to be their alwell? can some one point me to the right direction please. thanks

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

dont you have the lower part of the hinge attached to your truck bed? the tail gate is like a door (mentioned by matt) and the hinge attaches to the gate, and the frame (in this case the bed).

So if you have the hinge still attached to the truck, find a pin that goes inside what you have.

If you dont, but you do have some holes you have no idea what they go to, well then the guy may have removed the hinge from the bed and the pin is still there, with the gate.

And if you see no holes, well someone may have filled them. It is also possible part of the above is true too. Then you will just have to make new holes...

dont you have the lower part of the hinge attached to your truck bed? the tail gate is like a door (mentioned by matt) and the hinge attaches to the gate, and the frame (in this case the bed).

So if you have the hinge still attached to the truck, find a pin that goes inside what you have.

If you dont, but you do have some holes you have no idea what they go to, well then the guy may have removed the hinge from the bed and the pin is still there, with the gate.

And if you see no holes, well someone may have filled them. It is also possible part of the above is true too. Then you will just have to make new holes...

I actualy found something where its said 5/16 drill rods can be used to hold it in place

• 3 weeks later...

521 tail gate pin. It is this long.

PinLength.jpg

521 Tail gate pin. This is it's diameter.

PinDia.jpg

For you machinist types, .316 is an "O" sized drill.

5/16 is .3125.

My pins have some rust and primer on them. They may actually be a few thousands of an inch smaller than the caliper is reading.

• 2 weeks later...