ka24 swap info!!

lil89ram50

ok, so lets make a list of who has all done, or is working on a ka swap into their 521. so people can know where to come for advice, help. please post pics, setups, whatever else that you think might help some one out. also ask questions if you have them.

ill start. i have a 71 521, l20b, 4 speed. Still gathering parts at the moment and dailying the truck. cuirrently rebuilding motor. waiting for some extra cash to drop 400 bux on the rebuild kit. I have it all tore down and ready to be reassembled. Still need to get the intake manifod to my welder to have butterfly holes welded up and the egr welded closed.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I used this pump.http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TFS-25004 with a cheapo adjustable fuel regulator. Its loud, and i dont like it but it works great. I wired mine the old school way with a fuse block and relays it was before jeff had those boxes. The can/am boxes are a major headache saver far as i can tell.

For wiring I used the factory relays in the 240sx fuse box. One for the fuel pump and main ECU relay. I spliced them into my truck wiring along with the plugs for the engine harness. It just takes some extra time and lots of labeling to do.

IMG_1165a.jpg

IMG_1168a.jpg

For the fuel pump I used a external Walbro 255 with the stock fuel tank.

PICT1117a.jpg

I did mine on the cheap, Nissan relays, Volvo fuel pump....:cool:

I did not baffle my tank......No surge tank either. Runs fine unless on Empty. (less than a gallon)

I also left the butterfly's in.

Fuel pump.

IMAG0268.jpg

EGR cover plate.

IMAG1041.jpg

I did mine on the cheap, Nissan relays, Volvo fuel pump....:cool:

I did not baffle my tank......No surge tank either. Runs fine unless on Empty. (less than a gallon)

I also left the butterfly's in.

Fuel pump.

IMAG0268.jpg

EGR cover plate.

IMAG1041.jpg

hey, i know a lot of guys run these volvo pumps. do you go to the yards often? i dont have any yards here, and i would rather put in a cheap used pump FOR NOW just to get it unning. so if you go to the yards, what are the chances you could grab one for me and ship it to north dakota... motor wont be going in for at least a few months, but i need to gather parts. and we have no junk yards that get anything but common chevy's and fords.

if your interested in doing this for me lmk. i would aso be interested in a s13 ka24de harness.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm in process of this swap also. Been searching all over trying to put together a parts list. If someone could clarify what's been used in the form of transmissions that would be great.

From what I've been gathering, anyone feel free to correct me, you can use the following?

- 280zx trans with nap-z bell housing

- ka trans, but requires cutting the shifter hole due to tilt of the KA versus L series

Then both require some work on the trans mount and a shorting of the driveshaft.

Once again, that's what I got from searching through the random threads, please someone confirm.