A question about mirrors...

sojourner_k

Hey there,

I've posted my '65 L320 for sale and a mirror debate has ensued. A potential bidder claimed that my mirrors couldn't be original. I was told when I bought it that they were and I swear I've seen other photos with these. Of course I can't find any now. I was 100% sure and now I'm second guessing myself. My last L320 didn't have any mirrors left when I found it:)Anyone ever seen these on an import? I don't want to be a jerk and claim something is original if it isn't.

Thanks,

Kathy

Pics

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the only place I ever seen the mirror on a US model datsun 320, but that doesn't mean they didn't come on the mid fenders, I just have never seen one. As you can see the mirror is just in front of the door, if you open your door and look on the inside of the fender where my mirror is and you see any bondo coming out of two small holes, then likely they(past owners) have filled them in. The JDM vehicles came with them on the fenders, at least I have seen photos of them on the fenders. Here is a link to a bunch of JDM vehicles(a few 320s) with fender mirrors.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/1513-the-u-model/

DSCN0350.jpg

I've never seen fender mirrors on a stock 320 in the US. Fender mirrors were a Japanese thing, and still are. I've seen more than one with the kind I have:

64-320-s.JPG

But I've seen a multitude of different kind of mirrors. I'm not sure there WAS a standard mirror, instead the mirrors were added at the dealer once they were in the US. Generally in the 60s you only had a driver's side mirror anyway.

Those mirrors are "sports" mirrors a.ka. bullet mirrors. Among Datsuns, only the top line coupe & sedans were fitted with them. Not trucks.

I just found like eight Datsun Sunny truck photos with the bullet mirrors, so I guess at some point that rule changed or maybe people have modified those too. I don't see any on L320s. Sounds like I may owe him an apology for my mistake. I wonder which owner did it... I really trust the fella I bought it from, but perhaps the old man who claimed to have imported it to the US felt the need to accessorize. I suppose I'll never know. I love them, they look sharp. They're about as helpful as a swimsuit in december, but they really make it pop. I'll miss this truck when it sells. Thanks for the expert insight. I shall go eat crow now <_<

Kathy

Those Sunny trucks are 100% modified. The stock mirrors are either flat or later models are 'aero', but none had bullet mirrors from the factory.

My Sunny Truck has bullet mirrors too (240Z mirrors) -- it is a very common hop-up.

Thanks for the help. I feel like an ass for claiming I knew better. Hopefully I didn't scare the bidder off. One more question? The previous owner referenced the mirror as a clear indicator it was an import. With the mirrors disproved, how else can I tell? I really want to accurately portray my truck and its value. Today I've gone from thinking I knew a thing or two about my truck to second guessing it all. I don't think it impacts value too much. I just prefer to not misrepresent it in any way. Thanks for any advice ya'll.

Well, it's an import because it was made in Japan. But I think you mean it wasn't a US-Market truck?

There's a couple ways to know if it wasn't a US market truck. If it was Japanese market the steering wheel would be on the right. Yours is on the left. That means either North American market, Mainland Europe, or a few African and Asian countries.

The other indication is the taillights. ONLY US/Canada market trucks had all-red taillights. Euro, African, South/Central America, Australian, and Asian market trucks would have AMBER turn signals in the rear. Yes, even on 320s. Of course someone could have swapped them out, like I did on my 520.

Also note that it doesn't have stock hubcaps. Those are later, 73-79 620 hubcaps.

It's a nice looking L320 truck, it is really tough to find an original vehicle this old in original condition unless you find a really dirty one in a barn with13,089 miles on it, on some weird old guys property after he passed away without anyone knowing it for months, cause if he had family around, they would have snagged it years before. So it is what it is, a nice L320 that is mostly stock with all/most the original parts there which is rare, with an ugly rear bumper, but that is just my opinion. :lol:

It's a nice looking L320 truck, it is really tough to find an original vehicle this old in original condition unless you find a really dirty one in a barn with13,089 miles on it, on some weird old guys property after he passed away without anyone knowing it for months, cause if he had family around, they would have snagged it years before. So it is what it is, a nice L320 that is mostly stock with all/most the original parts there which is rare, with an ugly rear bumper, but that is just my opinion. :lol:

I agree about the bumper. Owner #1 put it on for utility but it is hideous compared to the original. It does have very limited miles (<40k) and the fella I bought it from claimed it was mostly original. I love the truck, just isn't practical for me anymore. I love it too much to let it just sit in my yard through the winter. It's gotta find a home.

Well, it's an import because it was made in Japan. But I think you mean it wasn't a US-Market truck?

There's a couple ways to know if it wasn't a US market truck. If it was Japanese market the steering wheel would be on the right. Yours is on the left. That means either North American market, Mainland Europe, or a few African and Asian countries.

The other indication is the taillights. ONLY US/Canada market trucks had all-red taillights. Euro, African, South/Central America, Australian, and Asian market trucks would have AMBER turn signals in the rear. Yes, even on 320s. Of course someone could have swapped them out, like I did on my 520.

Also note that it doesn't have stock hubcaps. Those are later, 73-79 620 hubcaps.

Wow that really surprises me about the hubcaps. They looked identical to the ones on my last L320. Guess it was a coincidence. That one was a bit of a Frankenstein, so it doesn't shock me too much. I'm glad there is a forum full of all you Dat experts to set me straight on this. Thanks.

320 hubcaps have a convex center part.

20110415190823DSC01788.jpg

The stock mirror is a flat round one. There seems to be no standard to exactly where on the fender they were fitted. The parts catalog shows it far back on the fender, though photos of actual Japanese-owned 320s show them in various places including closer to the front.

In USA the mirror may have been dealer-fitted (as were the Roadster mirrors) so different types and different mounting positions are all "stock" in a sense.